holmium

Returning Vet - Some questions

14 posts in this topic

I haven't played for a number of years (back when capping CPs had radios if that gives you an indication). I've also seen someone's sig banner saying bring back RDP.

I'm just wondering what's happened to RDP and the acquisition of new technologies/toys. From memory, HC could direct RDP, so that they'd make less of the lower tier tanks in exchange for a few high end tanks. I can't see the Tiger/110c4b as available, which I'm presuming is mainly due to the allied bombing runs? Have the allies gotten their high tier stuff (is a churchill the highest tier tank?) or is the map not mature enough yet?

Also, what has happened to air EWS, back in the day, towns would report EA in the EWS and you could anticipate where bombers were heading to intercept. How is that handled now?

Lastly, can tracked tanks be repaired? I remember that as being a pet peeve of mine back in 2006/2008.

Thanks, I'm done for now. :)

I haven't played for a number of years (back when capping CPs had radios if that gives you an indication). I've also seen someone's sig banner saying bring back RDP.

Welcome back!

I'm just wondering what's happened to RDP and the acquisition of new technologies/toys. From memory, HC could direct RDP, so that they'd make less of the lower tier tanks in exchange for a few high end tanks. I can't see the Tiger/110c4b as available, which I'm presuming is mainly due to the allied bombing runs? Have the allies gotten their high tier stuff (is a churchill the highest tier tank?) or is the map not mature enough yet?

The HC designed spawnlist/RDP delay feature was discontinued. There were a lot of issues that arose.

Sometimes one side or the other's HC out did the others with spawnlist choices and an entire side was disadvantaged, causing them to be outraged at 'their' HC. HCs also would seek to optimize spawnlists for premium units and the Rats found they needed a guaranteed level of the earlier tier items for lower ranking players to spawn.

Bombing caused so much disaffection with 'too few people affect too many people' that tier intro effects were eliminated, now bombing does affect the game but instead affects resupply tickets. In larger resupply tickets and timer sometimes you can get to hours which can advantage a division or a whole front.

Also, what has happened to air EWS, back in the day, towns would report EA in the EWS and you could anticipate where bombers were heading to intercept. How is that handled now?

As part of the package that went in for RDP 'happiness', Rats put in AWS, an air radar that has a map grid superimposed over the whole map.

Sectors turn yellow for a few enemy aircraft, and red with many, but the grid sectors are too large to say they are over a specific town, you have to still patrol and find them. The alerts are also a few minutes behind so fast aircraft may have actually moved past the alert sector.

Lastly, can tracked tanks be repaired? I remember that as being a pet peeve of mine back in 2006/2008.

No they cannot, but the rescue rules are a lot more liberal the originally so if you can avoid an MIA and make a RES without fatal damage, the tank can come back into the spawnlist in 15m if you are out of range of a spawn point.

Thanks for that. Just wondering in terms of the "toys" for this map for the Axis side. From what I've been reading, bombing just slows down resupply, not new toys. So, does that mean that the Tiger/110c4b and the FW190, are just not added due to the map maturity? Would that mean that there are Allied toys that aren't available just yet too?

welcome back. 'map maturity' yes > RDP and new equipment comes in via Tiers, starting Tier 0 1, 2, 3, etc (tiers = rdp cycles) and each tier 'new' roughly matching toys are introduced to each side (ie. ivg, tiger, fw, shermans, american units etc).

I believe there is a tier/equipment list somewhere on the site and/or the player-driven wiki:

https://wiki.wwiionline.com/view/Main_Page

The tiers have a set time sequence for introduction/completion which sequence can be delayed a bit via RDP bombing. Not sure on these exact details.

Sometimes one side or the other's HC out did the others with spawnlist choices and an entire side was disadvantaged, causing them to be outraged at 'their' HC.

Specifically, one time a CinC forgot to submit their RDP point distribution sheet in time and thus their entire RDP cycle almost got skipped. After a few days of getting WTFStomped CRS stepped up and plugged in their own generic RDP point sheet in for said CinC to get the ball rolling again, but by then it was too late - even one full day of a full tier of imbalance across both air and land was enough to seal the map's fate.

From that point forward RDP was completely removed from the HCs hands entirely, and fixed, unchangable RDP timers were implemented in it's place.

It's kind of like when a soccer mom busy texting her cellphone pulls out into traffic and gets hit by an SUV, then the city has to come in and rearrange the entire intersection and put up "No Turn" signs on every corner - thus making life more difficult for everyone else for the rest of eternity, all because of the actions of one idiot.

Edited by frogdeth

Specifically, one time a CinC forgot to submit their RDP point distribution sheet in time and thus their entire RDP cycle almost got skipped. After a few days of getting WTFStomped CRS stepped up and plugged in their own generic RDP point sheet in for said CinC to get the ball rolling again, but by then it was too late - even one full day of a full tier of imbalance across both air and land was enough to seal the map's fate.

From that point forward RDP was completely removed from the HCs hands entirely, and fixed, unchangable RDP timers were implemented in it's place.

It's kind of like when a soccer mom busy texting her cellphone pulls out into traffic and gets hit by an SUV, then the city has to come in and rearrange the entire intersection and put up "No Turn" signs on every corner - thus making life more difficult for everyone else for the rest of eternity, all because of the actions of one idiot.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense I suppose. I know that one side have a tier advantage over the other makes quite a difference, so I'm not surprised that this got changed. A pity in a way but at least it means we get our toys at the same time especially as (if I recall correctly) the allies were better at bombing our factories often delaying our new stuff by a day or three.

Do we know what sort of time difference between new tiers? Is it a week per tier or something else?

I think the rats call the tier changes but it seems to be 10 days to two weeks usually.

WB!

I think the rats call the tier changes but it seems to be 10 days to two weeks usually.

WB!

more like 1 week ... because allies demanded to be able to play high tier stuff before campaign ends. that was about the time when they kept losing many campaigns in a row quite fast :D

1 person likes this

more like 1 week ... because allies demanded to be able to play high tier stuff before campaign ends. that was about the time when they kept losing many campaigns in a row quite fast :D

riiight and no German players were complaining about the Tiger and other top tier gear never getting into the game.....