imded

Bridge AO/DO do we need it?

77 posts in this topic

I would like to see the Bridge AO/DO system removed.

Make ALL the bridges Destroyable and Repairable.

We have AI that can be taken out and repaired.

In other words, if I show up with a Sapper or Engineer, I could destroy the bridge. (or bombs, guns, etc.)

As for Repair, I show up with a Engineer and it gets fixed.

NO ao or do required.

This would promote some behind the scenes tactics for the stealth squads.

In my mind this would be a new facet to the game. Should not require too

much coding I would think.

2 people like this

Makes sense. I would not have a problem with this. Maybe have the bridge icon be red for down and green for up.

I like the idea of bridges being active for both destruction and repair 24/7 with no AO/DO.

The COLOR idea cool to but for coding sake I would be fine with just the bridge icon and having to do a .own on them.

I like the idea of bridges being active for both destruction and repair 24/7 with no AO/DO.

The COLOR idea cool to but for coding sake I would be fine with just the bridge icon and having to do a .own on them.

If towns can have a RED AO or Green DO square around it why cant a bridge?

If towns can have a RED AO or Green DO square around it why cant a bridge?

I said it was cool and thought maybe if it was a lot for the coders to do then maybe save them a step in coding so they work on stuff with more priority that's all.

I think this is an excellent idea that would add some well-needed tactical and strategic surprises to the game. It would make for some good fights and pre-emptive thinking, plus desperate scrambling.

I like it.

Edited by even

Good idea imo. I am for most any idea that makes the game more 'open world'-like and making bridges accessible to be destroyed/repaired by all, including lone wolves, is a step in that direction.

Just my dirty little ho.

;-)

Edited by vonguff

I'd prefer making it .own creating some fog of war. Para missions for bridge operations would be a thing I think. Would be nice if to get a system message when they are attacked and repairs are starting. Maybe an initial one and another after 30 seconds or so. No self repair for bridges would be good too. I'm not very knowledgeable about naval. Can transports travel on rivers...could see some increased naval action too to take down and repair bridges. Eventually I'm hoping bridges affect supply and breaks links. Those upcoming pontoon bridges will be a nice additions if we go this route also.

Don't go halfway. The game should be about capturing and holding bridges, not towns. A town is just a crossroads. The German advance in 1940 showed that the WWI idea that towns were critical chokepoints for supply paths was obsolete.

Historically, rivers were the key WWII limitation on supply movement. If you didn't have at least one bridge across a river, any of your forces on the other side of that river were immediately on the defensive, running out of attack-critical gasoline and artillery shells very quickly...and shortly they'd be forced to surrender, however committed they were.

Of course, the game doesn't inherently work like real life...but to the extent that it's a better game if playing it bears some resemblance to WWII fighting, fixing what the game is tactically about seems to me like a good idea.

1 person likes this

Nothing should be self repair.

I disagree. Because a number of things like buildings can not be manually repaired. I don't think that a CP destroyed in the first week of foghting should be down for the rest of the campaign with no way to fix it.

Also, consider that this is supposed to be more than just a PVP combat. This is supposed to simulate WWII. There are supposed to be tons of worker bee types in the background, repairing buildings, fueling planes and vehicles, and so on.

The factories alone would shut down the campaign in a few days if they did not self repair, bacause they cannot be manually repaired.

And if we it were changed so that we could repair everything manually and all auto repair was removed? We would need to seriously up the number of available engineers.

I too like the idea of open bridge repair and assault.

Edited by Quincannon

I do like this.

It would give a reason to have scouts and intel. Want to setup an attack but a bridge is in between? Might need to get a scout out to check it. If it is down you will need to repair it.

Could open up a need for scout vehicles or planes.

Perhaps down the road could even make it so a scout reports certain things instead of it automatically showing up on the map.

Both tactically and strategically, it would add some more depth to the game.

I think you would end up with some wild firefights around bridges, and open up the recon/scout/stealth mission game, bigtime.

Scouts need motorcycles ;)

Was thinking the same thing for weeks, we don't need AO's for bridges. We need to be able to destroy them, repair them and they should repair slowly as they do now without the burden of a AO.

Problem is people would just destroy them non stop to get air points.

A valid point. Then possibly remove the destruction of bridges from the points distribution system. While keeping the reparation of them in the points distribution system and increasing the air to air points significantly to compensate for the air to ground loss. Bridges would still be a valuable strategic targets for the veterans and once the ppo bridges come in air could be given points for their destruction.

Problem is people would just destroy them non stop to get air points.

Don't forget the pilot's partner who spawns an engineer and repairs the bridge each time (for points), so the pilot can bomb it again.

-Irish

I feel the need to point out that the removal of bridge destruction points hurts a number of players.

Insteasd of completely removing points for destroying a bridge, maybe the points should be changed, Right now points are awarded for merely hitting a bridge. To avoid gaming the game, maybe the point value should be increased...say 20-25 points, but only to the person aho actually destroys the bridge. That way, instead of spawning 40 engineers and rtbing them one satchel at a time, making around 400 points for destroying a bridge, or for spawning planes or ships and taking single shots or points... the points go to the guy who places 40 satchels or who actually makes enough bomber runs to blow up the bridge.

Instead of taking away one of the best ways for engineers to level, they should redesign the points so that if an engineer or anyone else wants the points, they have to spend enough time to completely blow the bridge. And the point gain becomes more reasonable.