imded

Bridge AO/DO do we need it?

81 posts in this topic

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, forrest said:

I'd bomb strategic bridges all day.

And it would take all day long. Flight time and accuracy. 20+ minutes minimum per run. In reality, bridges and AF are not that close to each other.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, merlin51 said:

I prefer to put ammo box on bridge
and just stay there reloading and repairing
Goes faster than despawning

But you are not getting more points. You will only get 10 points with this scenario, not the max possible.

End result, not many will put that much effort into. I really don't see the grieving here.

Back in the day when a fairmille could get you 30 points per one shot at a bridge, despawn and rinse/repeat. Then it was worth it. Took me a couple of hours to get up in navy ranks. But at 10 points per rinse/repeat. No way I would have put in 6+ hours to do the same ranking. It was extremely BORING.  Did I say it was BORING doing that for a few hours?

What is the issue with flyers getting points for bombing bridges? I do not understand it why ground-pounders should worry, after-all half the time it's happening in their interest i.e. their own bombers are dropping bridges their own HC is requesting down. The enemy bombers are not bombing them, killing bofors in the AB, so that can't be it either, and, they're providing targets for the fighterboys would shoot at. As bombing is so ineffective, generally, one would have thought that a reason for patrols to intercept such bombers would be in the interest of everyone....

Why the opposition, what does it matter  to a ground-pounder if someone ranks a little more quickly in a bridge mission, afterall, you can be certain that bomber-pilots are not ranking quickly from normal missions. If I had a penny for every time I've dropped a stick across a town from fractionally too high - and still most unrealistically low - and received nil points for nil kills, I'd be a rich man!

Hi,

@fidd, I don't think the point was to specifically and maliciously take points away from dedicated pilots as it was a possible solution against griefing a non AO/DO bridge situation. Although I clearly see the concern from a dedicated pilots point of view. I believe the whole points system could use an overhaul, especially the air game. But I'm not much of a pilot in this game so not much to contribute there. Anyways, I though infantry were called squishies and ground-pounders were pilots that attack ground based objects like bridges and squishies. I don't think squishies do care about the amount of points a pilot gets for bombing a bridge. Probably do not give it much thought in that context.

I consider STO bombs to be pretty high up there on the development list. Only problem I see there is we do not have friendly fire. Way too much greifing opportunity if we had friendly fire in this game in this game, without campaign side lock, FTP accounts and a harsh but fair punishment system.

That is why the current system is difficult to change because it affects many areas of the game. I get why we need AOs and DOs on bridges. I do think that some of the more thoughtful and knowledgeable players could come up with a better system. Whether and when CRS could implement such a system is another matter.

S!

8 hours ago, fidd said:

What is the issue with flyers getting points for bombing bridges? I do not understand it why ground-pounders should worry, after-all half the time it's happening in their interest i.e. their own bombers are dropping bridges their own HC is requesting down. The enemy bombers are not bombing them, killing bofors in the AB, so that can't be it either, and, they're providing targets for the fighterboys would shoot at. As bombing is so ineffective, generally, one would have thought that a reason for patrols to intercept such bombers would be in the interest of everyone....

Why the opposition, what does it matter  to a ground-pounder if someone ranks a little more quickly in a bridge mission, afterall, you can be certain that bomber-pilots are not ranking quickly from normal missions. If I had a penny for every time I've dropped a stick across a town from fractionally too high - and still most unrealistically low - and received nil points for nil kills, I'd be a rich man!

hmm.. wonder if we could give points for just dropping bombs on an AO'd town in addition to any kills.. Certainly will give ppl some effort points.

Ever try and get a AO/DO on a bridge during the day? Its like pulling teeth. At nite, just as bad but in a different way.

Seldom when asking does it happen, cause HC is focused elsewhere. Just feel lucky when you get an answer as to who is running the map.

Half the time or worse, HC wont listen to you. Point out a FUBAR situation and they get defensive. You come back the next day and you were right and many towns gone.....