Sudden

Paint it Green

23 posts in this topic

After a decade or more of being seen in any terrain I think it's safe to say the axis would have at least painted their armor green. I don't mean camo, just some green paint that matches the bushes like allied tanks do.

Paint our armor green!

This would actually be a HUGE thing for Axis fighting vehicles. Getting that first shot is a big thing, and too often we stick out like a sore thumb.

I've crawled/walked right past Shermans without noticing the buggers, until I heard the turret whine.

I like history as much as the next guy, but when your game's color palette doesn't work with camouflage, its time to change the camo. The Germans would have.

This would actually be a HUGE thing for Axis fighting vehicles. Getting that first shot is a big thing, and too often we stick out like a sore thumb.

I've crawled/walked right past Shermans without noticing the buggers, until I heard the turret whine.

I like history as much as the next guy, but when your game's color palette doesn't work with camouflage, its time to change the camo. The Germans would have.

It's not so much that our tanks are grey, but that everything else in the landscape is way too green. The games' colors should be MUCH less saturated than they currently are. This, however, will have to wait for whatever major engine/art updates they do. Most of this stuff hasn't been updated since 2004.

Good point Sudden -- perhaps more color choices/camo patterns could come with advancing tiers (or by exchange$ heh).

I wonder why they painted their vehicles grey in RL during the war (?).

just my dirty little ho.

;-)

i think the whole game should change to free to play. but to get better equipment long grind or upgrade/get camo other goodies for cash.

The unfortunate thing you are not considering is, the tanks were that color.

The game is not real life, it's a sim and it must be playable for both sides. A color change shouldn't scare an allied player, or do you think you have an unfair advantage you might lose?

If the absence of green in the game's feldgrau and the predominance of green shades and absence of blacks and dark tones in the middle-LOD environment adversely affects Axis combat survivability, then changing it definitely would affect balance.

Everything in the game that affects gameplay differently for the two sides, affects balance.

The game must remain balanced to be marketable.

I'd like to see the environment and unit colorations be handled even-handedly. This however would require some other factor be changed to restore balance.

To be taken seriously, any suggestion for a change to game visuals must also deal with how balance will be maintained.

If the absence of green in the game's feldgrau and the predominance of green shades and absence of blacks and dark tones in the middle-LOD environment adversely affects Axis combat survivability, then changing it definitely would affect balance.

Everything in the game that affects gameplay differently for the two sides, affects balance.

I'd like to see the environment and unit colorations be handled even-handedly. This however would require some other factor be changed to restore balance.

To be taken seriously, any suggestion for a change to game visuals must also deal with how balance will be maintained.

So what you're saying is if axis were to get some green paint the allies would lose an advantage so huge that "balance" would be affected. I rest my case then.

#Paint it green

I support this idea. Not paint it green like the allied tanks, but change the grey panzers color to be more like the FRUs are atm. Camo armor doesn't need repainting as they are quite hard to spot already.

I support this idea. Not paint it green like the allied tanks, but change the grey panzers color to be more like the FRUs are atm. Camo armor doesn't need repainting as they are quite hard to spot already.

Perfectly acceptable.

would this also work for inf , like the brown or grew inf axis jacket instead on german italy campaign jacket? or just jacket camo , like woodland , or just the helmet camo / fj camo , but darker

Edited by silversoil

if the absence of green in the game's feldgrau and the predominance of green shades and absence of blacks and dark tones in the middle-lod environment adversely affects axis combat survivability, then changing it definitely would affect balance.

jack pot

Not sure if it's a bad word around here but Heroes & Generals handles color pallet perfectly for this type of game IMHO. Both sides can find equal cover even though the vehicals are green/grey and the textures LOD themselves lend a nice soft look which helps the world adhere to itself. They also keep speculars to a minimum which is pretty standard for an FPS nowadays.

So what you're saying is if axis were to get some green paint the allies would lose an advantage so huge that "balance" would be affected. I rest my case then.

I'll try to make it clear:

1. The game must be balanced to stay in existence.

2. The game models historical weapons that inherently are unequal.

3. Historically, German weapons often were superior 1:1. Allied superiority often came from having more of everything. But, that latter technique has been tried and isn't viable in this small-population game, because balance would require more tanks or planes or whatever all at once, not just a deep spawn list to be serially killed.

3. Balance is not defined by what you or I or anyone else thinks it should be. It's defined by the objective campaign lethality statistics kept by the server array for CRS.

4. CRS had to find techniques to bring these disparate weapons into balance.

5. Obviously one of those techniques was weapon color in relation to the environment.

6. (in case you missed it) The game must be balanced to stay in existence.

Edited by jwilly

its funny how allies now find it more difficult (specially air force) to spot axis tank who got a new paint some campaigns ago

- Tiger

- IV G

- StuG G

increased their chance to stay hidden and perform an ambush

in the past you were able to spot these tanks even at 2km distance without binoculars or zoom in. lol

and on the other hand you have the british tanks that have the same camo pattern like the bushes ingame. the only good chance to spot those is when you are able to recognize "straight lines" or box shapes in the bush lines :D

1 person likes this

Say what? :)

D-Panzertypen.jpg

-Irish

Pretty sure those neat patterns were not made in the factory but after by their crew. I remember reading something about how the Germans had no time/no paint to waste on camo, especially at the end of the war. Not sure how accurate my memory is on this though.

Color doesn't really matter to me. Camo is nice but I don't want to stick out just so my ride looks pimpin because of the camo job. There are not enough variations of foliage for the camo to blend in with anyway. If anything I would like the tanks to look beat up, and have mud color around the track area.

I'll try to make it clear:

1. The game must be balanced to stay in existence.

2. The game models historical weapons that inherently are unequal.

3. Historically, German weapons often were superior 1:1. Allied superiority often came from having more of everything. But, that latter technique has been tried and isn't viable in this small-population game, because balance would require more tanks or planes or whatever all at once, not just a deep spawn list to be serially killed.

3. Balance is not defined by what you or I or anyone else thinks it should be. It's defined by the objective campaign lethality statistics kept by the server array for CRS.

4. CRS had to find techniques to bring these disparate weapons into balance.

5. Obviously one of those techniques was weapon color in relation to the environment.

6. (in case you missed it) The game must be balanced to stay in existence.

Lots of points there but nothing new.

Putting some green paint on axis tanks will help balance the game. It is also the easiest change that can be made at this time. Visual balance to current terrain. More that that will take considerable time and effort, at this time.