• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zgunner12

Wheels on APCs

4 posts in this topic

Something I've noticed over the years is that APCs seem to have a set amount of damage needed to blow their wheels off. There is also the fact that this is sort of it's own animation. Instead of being able to individually pop tires, there is just an animation of the same wheels coming off every time.

The main issue I have with this is that I only seem to be able to de-wheel a 232 with the 25mm AA gun. In my experience it takes exactly 3 rounds to the wheels to pop em off(you can aim at any wheel, same ones come off). I've had instances of firing AP rounds that landed directly on a 232's wheel, and nothing happens. Even with HE, which I know is preferred for use against APCs, I have had direct hits on wheels as well with no effect. If I'm not mistaken, ATRs can't de-wheel APCs/trucks either. The only times I seem to have managed to take the wheels off a 232 or truck without the 25mm AA, was when I was just trying to kill a 232/truck and happened to blow the wheels off at the same time I flamed it, which is just overkill.

So I have to ask, is it even possible within the game's engine for wheels to be treated as individual parts of the vehicles that have them? It would be nice if for instance an ATR or tank/gun using an AP/HE round could target something like a Panhard/Daimler/232 and pop one or two of the wheels, effectively immobilizing them. It would add more realism to the game in my opinion. Obviously it's more important to the weaker units like the Pak 36/25mm ATG/and 2Pdr/3Pdr.

I assume that axis have had similar issues with taking the wheels off a Daimler/Panhard, but it should helps both sides regardless. I just hope it's possible with the dated engine.

My understanding is the underlying model technology, which is built into the game engine, provides a limited number of parametric multi-state elements for each model, that can be used for destroyable elements or for other change-functionality; and there aren't enough such multi-state elements to make every part of every vehicle individually destroyable.

Hello All.

Just a little observation.

You refer to APC. An “APC” in the context you are using it, is an "Armoured Personal Carrier". Within Battleground Europe there is currently only 1 APC. It is the German Sfkdz 251 Halftrack. The units you are referring to, specifically Panhard/Daimler/232, are called "Armoured Cars".

In the future I would like to see the British Universal Carrier and the US M3/M5 halftracks added to the units available in Battleground Europe. Both of these vehicles would qualify as APC's.

Cheers

James10

Edited by james10

My understanding is the underlying model technology, which is built into the game engine, provides a limited number of parametric multi-state elements for each model, that can be used for destroyable elements or for other change-functionality; and there aren't enough such multi-state elements to make every part of every vehicle individually destroyable.

I figured something as much, otherwise I assume they would have made this change some time ago. Still, I believe something like an AP round from a 25mm ATG or a close enough round(maybe 400m?) from an ATR should be able to take wheels off a 232 with a direct hit to them. Again it just bothers me how easy it is to take the wheels off with a few 25mm AA rounds, but with something like a 25mm ATG(which has no HE) I have to get a perfect hit on a crew member or on the engine/ammo to kill one. It makes killing trucks like the Opel a real pain with the French light ATG. You have to get a perfect hit on the engine or on the driver. I've had times where the round landed on a tire with zero effect, which is a bit ridiculous. I hope I'm not the only one who feels that way. Hell, maybe just finally add some HE rounds to the French 25mm?

Hello All.

Just a little observation.

You refer to APC. An “APC” in the context you are using it, is an "Armoured Personal Carrier". Within Battleground Europe there is currently only 1 APC. It is the German Sfkdz 251 Halftrack. The units you are referring to, specifically Panhard/Daimler/232, are called "Armoured Cars".

In the future I would like to see the British Universal Carrier and the US M3/M5 halftracks added to the units available in Battleground Europe. Both of these vehicles would qualify as APC's.

Cheers

James10

Correct, I did mean to say armored cars, but I guess technically some of the APCs, like a 251 or an M5 have a couple wheels as well as the tracks, so they would still be affected.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0