• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
obear71

Cry Engine 100% Free for development....Now the time to get a modern engine for free?

44 posts in this topic

Humble bundle pay what you want but anything over 13 bucks also gets you a **** load of asset and sounds.

Is this a time for BE to get a modern Engine for nothing? a modern engine that both developers and home coders alike are very familer with.

even if the dev time isn't available nows the time to get it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/cryengine-bundle

Independent of the massive amounts of physics work to just recreate what we have here never mind going forward with a better one, there is the factor that these cheap engine prices last I heard come with some vicious 'we get a percentage of your business' strings attached, such that you end up paying far more in the long run then a straight up license buy.

Independent of the massive amounts of physics work to just recreate what we have here never mind going forward with a better one, there is the factor that these cheap engine prices last I heard come with some vicious 'we get a percentage of your business' strings attached, such that you end up paying far more in the long run then a straight up license buy.

A well know, well published and well supported modern engine like the Cy Engine, with all the people both professional and hobbyist that know this engine well, that you could plop in front of the PC and they could start right away. Unlike the engine they currently have which has to be LEARNT.

Bottom line is, for this game to survive long term they are going to HAVE to upgrade to a modern engine.

While it's free, should take advantage and if they have to pay peace meal well if you haven't got the funds to pony up a TON of cash up front, that the way to go.

Either way, sooner or later this engine will be so obsolete, it will simply fail to entice new blood, if that isn't happening already.

Tjhis game now survives on donations, with an engine like cry, they coud get ALOT of community support to develop for the game

Edited by obear71

I would ask whether or not CryEngine or any modern engine can give us everything that we have now and more. Not whether or not it can give us a lot od standard modern MMO bells and whistles, but what we have already with NO losses.

One thing I worry about is the question of whetehr or not instancing would be a necessity with such an engine. We have one of the best air sims out there, from what I am told... Our pilots can fly anywhere. They can fly from Britain to Germany without zoning, and fight planes in the air, bomb a target and strafe infantry and boats all on the same flight if fuel allows. If we have an AO in progress, I can start a paradrop from any field that has paratroops. I can sail a DD anywhere on the blue water.

I am not against a new engine, if CRS can go that route someday, but I am against losing some of our best features in the process of doing so.

Zoning and instancing in this game would suck. Period.

I would ask whether or not CryEngine or any modern engine can give us everything that we have now and more. Not whether or not it can give us a lot od standard modern MMO bells and whistles, but what we have already with NO losses.

One thing I worry about is the question of whetehr or not instancing would be a necessity with such an engine. We have one of the best air sims out there, from what I am told... Our pilots can fly anywhere. They can fly from Britain to Germany without zoning, and fight planes in the air, bomb a target and strafe infantry and boats all on the same flight if fuel allows. If we have an AO in progress, I can start a paradrop from any field that has paratroops. I can sail a DD anywhere on the blue water.

I am not against a new engine, if CRS can go that route someday, but I am against losing some of our best features in the process of doing so.

Zoning and instancing in this game would suck. Period.

Well the thing about an engine like cry engine, is you can MAKE your own systems within it, remove old systems such as the default netcode and make and add your own.

Take Star citizen for example. that is a Massive open world system. when you hit the hyper drive key, its not a loading screen you actually do travel VAST distances.

To get the default cry engine they made alto of their own systems. Thats the whole point its changeable expandable. and if you are using an engine that s well knows an has alto of documentation, home coders and professional already well versed. makes it easier to get the talent.

this engine is what? make in the late 90's? its coming up for a 20 year old engine. (engine was built before the game went live in 1999.)

im not sure how much progress they have made but i know from Docs old posts that they were hitting major limitations years ago on what the engine could deliver.

For example, new models. Doc mentioned the engine couldn't hold many more unique models in game.

to do anything with current engine to make it up to par with current technology and software abilities would i image require a massive of not total engine re-write.

why re invent an unknown engine when you can use a well knows one and have 95% of the engine already done and tested for you.

a simple opion of 64bit? common software ability to use it now but can this engine do that now? what would it take for it to use it?

It's great to see some moment with the game once again. but to me, an engine upgrade has always been the most important thing to do.

Yes it takes time to use a new engine, but if you are not starting today then when are you going to start? with the engine is so dated and behind with current systems its taking more dev time to try and patch an ancient system to keep on working then create anything new

VR is the next thing too and this engine need to have full native support of Occulas and Valve VR.

If they can grab something as well known and as modern as the Cry Engine for nothing. Now would be a good time to conciser biting the bullet and running a parallel dev build.

Sooner they do the sooner we all get BE2.0

this is what Star citizen can do with it. also bear in mine ships fly like they do in WWIIonine. each thruister is putting out X thrust etyc etc etc its a on the fly calculation, damage matetrs and effects componets.

OBYRIZA44Eg

Edited by obear71

Why is it free? Was there some sort of copyright that just ran out on it? Does anyone know how hard it would be to port over current vehicles to the cry engine, or does one have to start from scratch?

Parallel dev build? Where are they supposed to get a second team? They have stated that they only have 12 people and not all of those are full time.

We probably wouldn't go for Cry Engine for a future development project. Unreal Engine 4 however is a very likely candidate, and we have done some preliminary poking around at it just to conduct some analysis, leading to yes we're serious about investigating the possibility of upgrading our graphics engine (WWIIOL 2.0) after we release on Steam.

Until that time presents itself we're going to stay focused on what we're doing, because it's the most logical and we have a good, unanimously agreed upon plan.

1) Stabilize the game (1.35).

This will do a lot of good things for us, we've mentioned a lot, but the biggest thing is to set ourselves up for a successful Steam release via increased performance and bug elimination.

2) Introduce new content of all kinds ongoing.

This will keep the game interesting, give our players new things and work towards retention / growth (#1 will do this as well).

3) Release on Steam.

Suddenly we have an infusion of players (new and returning) to experience both 1&2 and for everyone to massively benefit of of #3.

It as after completing #3 that we re-evaluate and see what's next. There are a lot of great "behind the scenes things" that make WWIIOL fantastic and capable, those things can be ported in to a new game engine and with some fine tuning achieve the same thing (lots of players / networking for example).

Here's the thing though, we can't just suddenly drop development of WWIIOL as it currently is. Right now this is our Flagship product and our only source of income (that's the business side), for the customers side they want to see the game improved with stability fixes, new stuff and more players. These goals outlined above achieve those things.

Once we give the game and community its best possible chances for being successful, we will then (with your effort and recognition) plan to analyze what it's going to take for us to make the next version.

There are a couple of very important things we would achieve by going with Unreal Engine 4 (for example).

1) A modern game engine and toolsets.

2) Incredible documentation.

3) Game engine that gets updated and unloads the effort off of CRS to do so.

4) An amazing market place to pull assets from.

5) The majority of game dev students at universities are working with UE4.

6) VASTLY BETTER game graphics.

The list goes on. But if we were actually going to start doing this, it's going to take an immense amount of time, especially since we ARE relying on a lot of volunteers. So our hope is Steam would provide us with more fuel to fund the next effort.

I think our team is highly capable and we might be able to pull off a WWII Online "LITE" version if you will to help lay the ground work for the next major iteration of WWIIOL 2.0 (dear God please do not say Rapid Assault, I am not saying that).

But if you think for a moment about ALL the man hours invested into all of these game models, and the code behind them, it's an insane amount of work that will require capital of some kind. It doesn't necessarily have to be uber loads of millions, today's game development arena is a bit different than when this one got started but in the end some form of capital and the teams work ethic, ambition and capability will be the deciding factors.

Anyways, this is all really far out there, definitely not this year, perhaps not even the next year (not to bum anyone out). What is important is we're doing big things and keeping our focus on WWIIOL as we know it to make 2016 a HUGE year of opportunity and growth via our development efforts.

We do recognize that we need to modernize our game however in ways that our current game engine just simply cannot do with the resources we have at hand. We will keep you guys posted on an official basis once we decide to take a look at this more seriously. But first we'd have to conduct an analysis (research / proving theories) and prepare a project plan and fill in the gaps. It's a lot of work.

That's enough rambling from me but should give you some insight on to what we're thinking on a general basis atm, because no direct effort other than tinkering with the engine and importing some existing models has actually occurred yet.

S!

Looks like Unreal is doing something along the lines at what Cry is doing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engine-4-is-now-free/

Yup that article is a year old :). Guess Cry Engine is trying to be competitive. It's a beautiful engine just really over the top for us. UE4 knowledge and tools are better and more within the dev community.

Cry Engine's visual capabilities are stunning but if we want to maintain massively multiplayer capabilities of any kind we have to factor (in advance) all of the technical requirements, and assuming computers are going to get better after X amount of development time required, develop a little bit above what we'd do at the specific time of starting to make sure it lasts longer (i.e. higher poly / texture counts).

Humble bundle pay what you want but anything over 13 bucks also gets you a **** load of asset and sounds.

Is this a time for BE to get a modern Engine for nothing? a modern engine that both developers and home coders alike are very familer with.

even if the dev time isn't available nows the time to get it.

Amazon's "Lumberyard" engine is essentially the CryEngine. They made a deal awhile ago with Crytek and bought their source, looking at the poor state Crytek is in Lumberyard has a better future.

Most importantly is that Lumberyard has no royalty or fees, just a stipulation that you either run your own hardware or use Amazon's web services not those of a competitor. You get the full source and everything.

link

I downloaded it and have been playing around with the editor, it runs even on my crap laptop. Lumberyard has some basic multiplayer and other code stacked on top of the legacy CryEngine code. Some other goodies too.

bzbzazwqkm.png

Independent of the massive amounts of physics work to just recreate what we have...

Whoa, hang on there buddy. Let's talk about that idea: Realistic physics. Here is what I've seen so far in terms of physics for this game:

1) Vehicles slow to a stop when touching the ground, though rolling trucks will still bounce around like a basketball.

2) Airplanes fly realistically, assuming you believe that UFOs exist.

3) Dead infantry go ragdoll. But note that a guy with a 200kg bomb landing between his legs never moves so much as an millimeter of the ground, because even this wasn't finished entirely.

Now there is a lot of math buried in the whole joules vs armor penetration (an idea that other games are now using, too, but we can persist in the delusion of uniqueness if you like), however despite these being true physics calculations, sadly there is no real visual component to it. We have two "sprites" for hitting armor - a spark for no penetration and a hole for penetration. There is no voxel deformation of armor plating under heavy fire, no tanks or even trucks flipped over from bomb explosions (which is the main reason CAS was dangerous to armor - even an intact tank is kinda screwed if it's upside down), and even things like bullet drop and spread are arbitrarily coded in. Meaning bullet drop when firing upward at a 30deg angle is the same as when firing downward at a 30deg angle.

Meanwhile, mortars are pretty funny, too. Their shell do indeed fly in an arc... to a height of about 3 stories and then travel horizontal to their impact point, and finally drop straight down.

Meanwhile, no deformation of terrain and, always fun to watch, if a 50 ton tank crashes into a 3" wide tree at 30kph... the tank crashes to a halt and the tree doesn't move an inch.

So all things being said, as far as physics go... well, we're almost up to around HalfLife. The first one. From 1998.

Why make such a big deal about this? Because I suspect that a lot of people are more concerned with improving the physics of this game than it's graphics. Because I assure you that I'd get x100 more satisfaction from sitting in a destroyer and watching hapless infantrymen get blasted by my naval shells twenty feet into the air and then falling into the water than I would by increasing their face texture resolution by any amount.

Imagine if a bomb landing next to a vehicle could indeed flip it right over? CAS wouldn't be a lot are for long, and might actually involve actual CAS planes instead of guys with P38s using Star Wars logic. Imagine if every big explosion sent up clouds of dust & debris, causing confusion? Imagine if concussion effects affected people's ability move? Imagine if vehicles colliding didn't look like bad 1980s CGI with their rubberball effect? Imagine if a tank could destroy an AA gun by running it over? Imagine being able to take cover in craters, or hampering an airfield by bombing it's runway?

So forget graphics and forget new units. This game needs a physics overhaul more than anything else. That should have been priority one back in 2004 when we all first picked up our Gravity Guns and realized that this was the future of gaming.

while were talking about a new engine and planes, can you guys ignore realism and historical accuracy if you remake the air game.

realism is neat but almost everyone that has ever loaded the game cannot fly, please don't make joysticks/rudders/throttles necessary for flying.

while were talking about a new engine and planes, can you guys ignore realism and historical accuracy if you remake the air game.

realism is neat but almost everyone that has ever loaded the game cannot fly, please don't make joysticks/rudders/throttles necessary for flying.

Just buy a joystick.

You need the 3 axis to fly properly.

I might be wrong here, but I think that Lumberyard will dominate the market in a couple of years.

If you look at cloud services, Amazon is crushing the market (even if their prices are not falling, like others). Now Amazon is going after the gamming industry and they have the techology, the knowhow and buckets (pun intended) of cash.

There is also this if anyone interested:

A bunch of 3d stuff for almost nothing - imagine if CRS had 13$ we could have new animals (other than sheep) and .... better trees :D

I certainly hope that never happens. This is a sim, not a damn console game.

Whoa, hang on there buddy. Let's talk about that idea: Realistic physics. Here is what I've seen so far in terms of physics for this game:

1) Vehicles slow to a stop when touching the ground, though rolling trucks will still bounce around like a basketball.

3) Dead infantry go ragdoll. But note that a guy with a 200kg bomb landing between his legs never moves so much as an millimeter of the ground, because even this wasn't finished entirely.

Now there is a lot of math buried in the whole joules vs armor penetration (an idea that other games are now using, too, but we can persist in the delusion of uniqueness if you like), however despite these being true physics calculations, sadly there is no real visual component to it. We have two "sprites" for hitting armor - a spark for no penetration and a hole for penetration. There is no voxel deformation of armor plating under heavy fire, no tanks or even trucks flipped over from bomb explosions (which is the main reason CAS was dangerous to armor - even an intact tank is kinda screwed if it's upside down), and even things like bullet drop and spread are arbitrarily coded in. Meaning bullet drop when firing upward at a 30deg angle is the same as when firing downward at a 30deg angle.

Meanwhile, mortars are pretty funny, too. Their shell do indeed fly in an arc... to a height of about 3 stories and then travel horizontal to their impact point, and finally drop straight down.

Meanwhile, no deformation of terrain and, always fun to watch, if a 50 ton tank crashes into a 3" wide tree at 30kph... the tank crashes to a halt and the tree doesn't move an inch.

So all things being said, as far as physics go... well, we're almost up to around HalfLife. The first one. From 1998.

Why make such a big deal about this? Because I suspect that a lot of people are more concerned with improving the physics of this game than it's graphics. Because I assure you that I'd get x100 more satisfaction from sitting in a destroyer and watching hapless infantrymen get blasted by my naval shells twenty feet into the air and then falling into the water than I would by increasing their face texture resolution by any amount.

Imagine if a bomb landing next to a vehicle could indeed flip it right over? CAS wouldn't be a lot are for long, and might actually involve actual CAS planes instead of guys with P38s using Star Wars logic. Imagine if every big explosion sent up clouds of dust & debris, causing confusion? Imagine if concussion effects affected people's ability move? Imagine if vehicles colliding didn't look like bad 1980s CGI with their rubberball effect? Imagine if a tank could destroy an AA gun by running it over? Imagine being able to take cover in craters, or hampering an airfield by bombing it's runway?

So forget graphics and forget new units. This game needs a physics overhaul more than anything else. That should have been priority one back in 2004 when we all first picked up our Gravity Guns and realized that this was the future of gaming.

The physics model as it got done sure isnt perfect, but it still gets a lot done most other games don't.

More importantly is that it puts them all together. So ya I would agree that you can pick a specific game that specializes in armor OR infantry OR planes OR boats and do as well or better-

but not ALL in the same space fighting each other at the same time.

Redo the physics? Be great if it can be done as cheaply as Xoom suggests, but I wouldn't count on it, Star Citizen being a MAJOR example of the millions it is taking to mix all that together in the same play/render space.

As CRS follows the market forward and it becomes easier for new and existing competitors to calculate physics instead of just faking it, WWIIOL will need more physics accuracy and therefore code, not less, to maintain its differentiated identity.

Aircraft should begin to fly according to historical capabilities. No more loops in loaded bombers. Probably less crispness of directional control in high speed dive pullouts. There should be structural failure calculations when appropriate.

Aircraft should begin to fly according to their current payload. Taking off with half a fuel load should make a significant difference to handling. Using up your fuel in flight should make a gradual difference. Dropping a bombload should make a huge difference.

The game should have local weather, programmed with sufficient complexity that there's always good flying somewhere and bad ground conditions somewhere. Environmental air movement should affect planes' flight smoothness and stability.

HEAT ordnance damage effects should be correctly calculated. The penetration energy and damage energy come from the same total...penetrate the maximum-capable armor thickness, and the likelihood of significant damage should be minimal.

Shatter gap should be modeled. RHA, FHA and cast armor each should behave correctly. Spaced armor effects should be properly handled. Rounded armor surfaces, when they can't be fully represented by the lower-poly collider model, should be code-effectuated in some other manner. Overmatch should be modeled for both damage and visuals.

Much better fire modeling should be added, both for vehicle/weapon objects and for buildings and the environment.

Ships and the land environment should move to four state models instead of two, to provide visualization of intermediate damage states. Land models should be segmented into damage zones corresponding to roughly the damage volume of a 75mm HE shell.

To provide for much more modulated terrain surfaces, the game world needs to be rebuilt with much smaller tiles...perhaps 50 meter square. And, the elevation math either should start from a suitable distance under the ground plane or should be capable of negative elevations, so that craters, excavations and other terrain deformations can be implemented.

Edited by jwilly

I certainly hope that never happens. This is a sim, not a damn console game.

only a handful of people can fly though.

it's a huge part of the game but almost everyone that starts cannot play air.

hell any pilot on can request a personal air brig just for stukas.

-major0noob

Maybe keyboard commands, although using a joystick one can learn how to fly in the offline mod. Just go to amazon.com and get a cheap joystick. There are both allied and axis air squads that have plenty of members who will take you aside and show you the ropes of flying.

It sounds like if things work out down the road for the rats (and I mean within the next two years max), that a free or very low cost graphics engine could be in the works.

Rats, I know you have your hands full, especially this year, But at the rate graphic engines are coming out that are bigger and better then the last one, you need to jump on this ASAP. I would say next year at the latest.

^This X 1,000.^

The physics we have aren't all that good to begin with.

I can certainly see the need for logical steps heading into a redo, as in UE4, but the damage models and physics are just idiotic.