obear71

Cry Engine 100% Free for development....Now the time to get a modern engine for free?

44 posts in this topic

Maybe keyboard commands, although using a joystick one can learn how to fly in the offline mod. Just go to amazon.com and get a cheap joystick. There are both allied and axis air squads that have plenty of members who will take you aside and show you the ropes of flying.

WTH is so hard about getting a joystick?

I played for years with a cheap Microsoft one, and when that died I found the EXACT same one on FleaBay for like $20.

Conversely, if one doesn't want to fly with a joystick, (how seriously can a person BE about flying if they won't even get a joystick?!?) one can use an XBox or PS style controller running through a USB port.

No, we're not doing away with joysticks because people can't figure out how to get one or work around it.

Sheesh

it's not that getting a joystick is hard, but it's absolutely necessary to fly.

there's no way to play a big part of the game without one, im not saying the joysticks should be disabled. the KB+M controls will need to be reworked, maybe even use a arcady fly-by-wire system.

other than air squad nights the air game is dead most of the time, if players could fly just as well with a KB+M there'd be a lot more air action.

WTH is so hard about getting a joystick?

I played for years with a cheap Microsoft one, and when that died I found the EXACT same one on FleaBay for like $20.

Conversely, if one doesn't want to fly with a joystick, (how seriously can a person BE about flying if they won't even get a joystick?!?) one can use an XBox or PS style controller running through a USB port.

No, we're not doing away with joysticks because people can't figure out how to get one or work around it.

Sheesh

Thrustmaster T-Flight $40 on Amazon or Walmart, this isn't hard.

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Playstation-3/dp/B001CXYMFS

I don't think there is any other major game with better flight physics despite the quirks and points where the FM is difficult to approximate.

I kind of need a new throttle setup and got excited when I saw this... until I saw that it doesn't have trim wheels :(

this is another thing, not only do you need the joystick, you need rudder pedals, track ir, a throttle, trim, good software (macros and such), almost a entire cockpits controls. after you get all that you'll need to set up everything twice (joystick & in game). after all of that you can finally fly, against the 2 other guys that have done all this.

it's like inf not being able to aim without a wii-like controller.

this is another thing, not only do you need the joystick, you need rudder pedals, track ir, a throttle, trim, good software (macros and such), almost a entire cockpits controls. after you get all that you'll need to set up everything twice (joystick & in game). after all of that you can finally fly, against the 2 other guys that have done all this.

it's like inf not being able to aim without a wii-like controller.

:confused:

You sound like you tried flying <10 times and crashed on take off for most of them.

It is quite possible to fly in this game with mouse and keyboard, though it is not something I would ever do. A squadmate flies mouse & keys on his MACBOOK and bloody well lives a lot longer than I would ever expect him to.

Joysticks are cheap, and you do not need the set up you try to suggest is required. The rest are cool toys for those who enjoy flying enough to do it most of the time.

If you want a flight sim, buy a flight sim. If you want an arcade plane game, play War Thunder. If you want a combined arms sim that includes aircraft, keep playing this game.

Most folks here get along just fine with just a joystick and a keyboard...

In fact you don't even need a mouse but you just can't manoeuvre as well as those who use a joystick, although you should at least use a keyboard with numpad.

I'm arguing this cause there've been talks of abandoning the air and or the navy game, since their soo underpopulated.

The air game isn't playable for most people checking the game out. due to the painful keybord+mouse controls

i flew french air force for awhile, skies were empty most of the time.

-major0noob

Edited by prvt0pwned

I'm arguing this cause there've been talks of abandoning the air and or the navy game, since their soo underpopulated.

-major0noob

You have to be trolling. Give me a break.

Are you aware that there are forums beyond those you can see as a Free Play participant?

There's been no...zero...suggestion by CRS that the WWIIOL air or naval games might be abandoned. Since 2001. None.

My guess would be that suggestions by players to that effect are not likely to be seen by CRS as either technically useful or representative of a significant number of customers.

Well the thing about an engine like cry engine, is you can MAKE your own systems within it, remove old systems such as the default netcode and make and add your own.

Take Star citizen for example. that is a Massive open world system. when you hit the hyper drive key, its not a loading screen you actually do travel VAST distances.

To get the default cry engine they made alto of their own systems. Thats the whole point its changeable expandable. and if you are using an engine that s well knows an has alto of documentation, home coders and professional already well versed. makes it easier to get the talent.

this engine is what? make in the late 90's? its coming up for a 20 year old engine. (engine was built before the game went live in 1999.)

im not sure how much progress they have made but i know from Docs old posts that they were hitting major limitations years ago on what the engine could deliver.

For example, new models. Doc mentioned the engine couldn't hold many more unique models in game.

to do anything with current engine to make it up to par with current technology and software abilities would i image require a massive of not total engine re-write.

why re invent an unknown engine when you can use a well knows one and have 95% of the engine already done and tested for you.

a simple opion of 64bit? common software ability to use it now but can this engine do that now? what would it take for it to use it?

It's great to see some moment with the game once again. but to me, an engine upgrade has always been the most important thing to do.

Yes it takes time to use a new engine, but if you are not starting today then when are you going to start? with the engine is so dated and behind with current systems its taking more dev time to try and patch an ancient system to keep on working then create anything new

VR is the next thing too and this engine need to have full native support of Occulas and Valve VR.

If they can grab something as well known and as modern as the Cry Engine for nothing. Now would be a good time to conciser biting the bullet and running a parallel dev build.

Sooner they do the sooner we all get BE2.0

this is what Star citizen can do with it. also bear in mine ships fly like they do in WWIIonine. each thruister is putting out X thrust etyc etc etc its a on the fly calculation, damage matetrs and effects componets.

OBYRIZA44Eg

Was hoping someone would mention Star Citizen as an example. Ya, that's all that needs to be mentioned. Cryengine would be fine.

Originally Posted by frogdeth View Post

Whoa, hang on there buddy. Let's talk about that idea: Realistic physics. Here is what I've seen so far in terms of physics for this game:

1) Vehicles slow to a stop when touching the ground, though rolling trucks will still bounce around like a basketball.

2) Airplanes fly realistically, assuming you believe that UFOs exist.

3) Dead infantry go ragdoll. But note that a guy with a 200kg bomb landing between his legs never moves so much as an millimeter of the ground, because even this wasn't finished entirely.

Now there is a lot of math buried in the whole joules vs armor penetration (an idea that other games are now using, too, but we can persist in the delusion of uniqueness if you like), however despite these being true physics calculations, sadly there is no real visual component to it. We have two "sprites" for hitting armor - a spark for no penetration and a hole for penetration. There is no voxel deformation of armor plating under heavy fire, no tanks or even trucks flipped over from bomb explosions (which is the main reason CAS was dangerous to armor - even an intact tank is kinda screwed if it's upside down), and even things like bullet drop and spread are arbitrarily coded in. Meaning bullet drop when firing upward at a 30deg angle is the same as when firing downward at a 30deg angle.

Meanwhile, mortars are pretty funny, too. Their shell do indeed fly in an arc... to a height of about 3 stories and then travel horizontal to their impact point, and finally drop straight down.

Meanwhile, no deformation of terrain and, always fun to watch, if a 50 ton tank crashes into a 3" wide tree at 30kph... the tank crashes to a halt and the tree doesn't move an inch.

So all things being said, as far as physics go... well, we're almost up to around HalfLife. The first one. From 1998.

Why make such a big deal about this? Because I suspect that a lot of people are more concerned with improving the physics of this game than it's graphics. Because I assure you that I'd get x100 more satisfaction from sitting in a destroyer and watching hapless infantrymen get blasted by my naval shells twenty feet into the air and then falling into the water than I would by increasing their face texture resolution by any amount.

Imagine if a bomb landing next to a vehicle could indeed flip it right over? CAS wouldn't be a lot are for long, and might actually involve actual CAS planes instead of guys with P38s using Star Wars logic. Imagine if every big explosion sent up clouds of dust & debris, causing confusion? Imagine if concussion effects affected people's ability move? Imagine if vehicles colliding didn't look like bad 1980s CGI with their rubberball effect? Imagine if a tank could destroy an AA gun by running it over? Imagine being able to take cover in craters, or hampering an airfield by bombing it's runway?

So forget graphics and forget new units. This game needs a physics overhaul more than anything else. That should have been priority one back in 2004 when we all first picked up our Gravity Guns and realized that this was the future of gaming.

This x 1000000000000000000000000.

Fully Agree

You would think that when the time comes and whichever engine is decided upon, a similar Star Citizen style campaign could be successfully marketed for a game successor of BGE/WII Online. You would not have the vehicles to sell but I would bet if the developers where going for something as massive and pervasive as SC does they could sell skins and special visual variants of the same weapons platforms that will be in game.

Start the war after the fall of France and have the entire Eastern and Western Theaters available on a historical basis from there. The German,Italian, Russian, Japanese and various resistance forces including France and Poland are available from the start. You would want to create this thing with a big vision using a modern engine. The resistance forces would be available as additional supply types upon contact and control and a severely time limited 8-12 hour cool down for launching behind the lines pure resistance efforts to sabotage and subterfuge the enemy. At any rate the whole of Europe, North Africa, Russian and the Pacific Theaters would be in play at full release. You might event want to model North America so that Axis forces have to capture the United States and Canada to win. I bet if you did it right you would get a ton of backers. Especially using the core concepts of BGE/WWII Online of being brutally realistic and one persistent campaign arena. Theoretically you would want to be able to fly from one theater to the other or drive there if time and fuel permitted.

So in game world concept area you are thinking of Earth as the global arena and get as much of the planetary terrain and topographic and physics right as possible. Not to mention how formidable the equipment list would be. That would be the ultimate dream anyway.

==SPACER==

==SPACER==

The Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) does indeed look sweet; here is their landing page with free downloadable.

The 5% royalty isn't much when you think about what this proven game engine can do.

Unreal Engine

BTW, I stumbled on an unmentioned engine =Unigine =that may be of interest, in regards to large maps.

==SPACER==

in one of their chats they said they wanted unity engine.

unreal isn't exactly free, that 5% royalty will add up fast and easily beat unity's 1,500$ price.

pvt0pwned is my tow account...

Edited by major0noob

I am just glad you found a team to resolve a lot of the old problems for now!!! enough for me to stick around.

S!