Scout planes to get intel behind enemy lines

43 posts in this topic

Below are some scout planes used in the war. I feel this would add a new

dimension to the game. To find out what the enemy is doing and what the

enemy has. So then you need a way of getting that information. You intern

have to go and get that. Here are some suggestions of planes that were

used back in the day. The links are pictures of each plane and the performance

information was cut and pasted.

In the game, there would not be a halo around the plane, just its type of plane.

Well because it flies low and slow.

Once the flyer gains the recon information, it would have to pass that information on.

How: drop a note to ground troops, Radio and/or land. You would also

have to fly over the factories to aquire what that factory is building.

The ramifications are endless.

Also, AI would not be able to aquire this plane to easily.

German: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siebel...le:Si201_4.JPG

Performance:

• Maximum speed: 185 km/h; 100 kn (115 mph) at sea level
  • Cruise speed: 150 km/h; 81 kn (93 mph)
  • Range: 451 km; 243 nmi (280 mi)
  • Service ceiling: 5,502 m (18,050 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 4.20 m/s (827 ft/min)
  • Time to altitude: 4.5 min to 1,000 m (3,300 ft

French/British:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Auster.aop9.tw511.arp.jpg

Performance

• Maximum speed: 113 kts (209 km/h)
  • Stall speed: 28 kts (51 km/h)
  • Range: 250 miles (402 km. Indefinite with aerial refuelling.)
    Takeoff run: 91 ft (28 m)

Americans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinso...n_Vigilant.jpg

Performance:

Hello All.

An interesting concept, I would suggest considering the following aircraft as well to perform a similar role.

German:

Fi 156 Storch

British/Comonwealth:

Westland Lysander

France:

Potez 438

US:

Aeronca L-3 Grasshopper

Cheers

James10

It could have been a useful game concept.

Build a "photo-recon" aircraft employing no guns or weapons, but having greater level speed than armed fighters it might encounter, optimizing it for speed as an unarmed single seat fighter. This was actually done during the war using Spitfires, 109s, even a P-39 was considered and each could be used in the game, and made effective, with a minuscule degree of remodeling. Top speed could be configured to be just slightly faster than the enemy fighters it would encounter, in a 1 on 1 tail chase, but not so much that it could not be trapped in some situations if the enemy was clever enough.

I proposed a long time ago ... before things got bad; we hide the make-up of brigades and their supply/ToE from users in general. You would roughly where they were but not exactly where or what they consisted of.

A player takes a mission that is put up, to fly a recon mission. Using speed to try to elude interception if encountered, a "strip" of land below them is revealed in terms of enemy brigades present and their movements over a small space of time each side of any "flyover".

If the player makes it back to base in a successful RTB sortie ... this information appears on the map to be used by his side or command, if that is still a function of the game (HC I mean) ... this info will expire after a given period of time causing more recon flights to be made to keep abreast of the unfolding strategic situation.

Unfortunately (I think it was unfortunate) the idea was shot down.

Edited by DOC

Cool idea Doc.

But for that to work in today's game we would need a bigger population.

Edited by maxios

===

===

But might features like that bring in more population?

On a similar thought, I was thinking of how we could incorporate more roles to play with some other vehicles, say the Sd Kfz 260 or 261.

The 260 was an armored car with radios for other Heer units, so each flag would get 1 or 2; it's use would be to allow other divisions to see marks by your division. If you in 2nd Pz division, attacking with 17th inf div, they could not see each others marks; but if the 2pz 260 came out (say 1km radius of it), then any 17th inf div troops could see marks by 2nd pz.

Likewise the 261 was for LW. All marks on map would not be visible to any airplane, unless a 261 was in the area, then (again, maybe 1 km radius) if the 261 was there, any mark placed would now show to all LW planes.

Items like this do require more people to work - but at the same time maybe they attract more people to play these roles? Just like maybe submarines or trains would.

===

===

On a similar thought, I was thinking of how we could incorporate more roles to play with some other vehicles, say the Sd Kfz 260 or 261.

The 260 was an armored car with radios for other Heer units, so each flag would get 1 or 2; it's use would be to allow other divisions to see marks by your division. If you in 2nd Pz division, attacking with 17th inf div, they could not see each others marks; but if the 2pz 260 came out (say 1km radius of it), then any 17th inf div troops could see marks by 2nd pz.

Likewise the 261 was for LW. All marks on map would not be visible to any airplane, unless a 261 was in the area, then (again, maybe 1 km radius) if the 261 was there, any mark placed would now show to all LW planes.

Items like this do require more people to work - but at the same time maybe they attract more people to play these roles? Just like maybe submarines or trains would.

Nice idea. I am an advocate of if you are within a specific distance, you get to see

all marks in that area. So, 1.5k from you and you get to see it all.

As for DOC, your planes were for PHOTO runs. The other planes were for LIVE Scouting.

I am not suggesting something as elaberate as your thoughts.

A simple fly by and you see what you see and then get back to base.

Use radio, or physical info drops from plane.

You could have a second person with your for more info gathering.

Trying to keep it simple but effective.

I think the photo recon idea is easier to implement, and more people would use it. Just being practical, in reality, what I think is as important as whitewall tires on a garbage truck.

===

===

What do you suggest to balance the system? What would the ALLIED side get?

:D

===

What do you suggest to balance the system? What would the ALLIED side get?

===

No idea what the allies did for comms between land units and air. But, for simplicity could just use the same vehicles with different paint jobs and insignia for each nation. Fair and balanced. :)

i dont understand why everything must be so balanced... more historically accurate things makes this game interesting than nerfing guns and making same vehicles or something??????? whiners are retards i say. im kinda pissed off because that.

Interesting concept but I think resources could be put to better use on other things. It would be nice if players used armoured cars as they were supposed to be used, locating and reporting of all enemy forces.

i dont understand why everything must be so balanced... more historically accurate things makes this game interesting than nerfing guns and making same vehicles or something??????? whiners are retards i say. im kinda pissed off because that.

I agree, there should be asymmetrical balance. There is no need for absolute weapon to weapon balance and it can still make for an interesting and playable game.

Regarding scout planes, the Arado Ar 196 (A3 tier 0; A4 tier 1,2; A5 tier 3+) was the standard aircraft of the Kriegsmarine throughout World War II.

It was used by coastal squadrons to fly reconnaissance missions and submarine hunts and the repeated interception of RAF Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley bombers.

It was also the standardized shipboard reconnaissance aircraft, i.e cruiser Admiral Hipper, Bismarck, etc.

Maybe a staffel (squadron) of 12 or schwarm (flight) of 4 of these could be stationed at various ports around the map, say Helle, Den Haag or if added Den Helder and Bergen.

P.S. Another great feature of this is that it is both an air and navy update at the same time. Oh, and scout planes should not set off AWS.

Edited by delems

====

i dont understand why everything must be so balanced..

=-===

I never said it had to be, I said I had no idea what allies used, so for SIMPLICITY, we could use the same.

Of course, if allies used a radio in a truck or car, then model that instead and don't give them the armored car. I'm totally for unique gear per side, just has to either be not to much of it or not to overly powerful.

The long range radio was 260 and 261, for short range it was the radio cars Kfz 2 and kfz 15 and armored car Sd Kfz 263. (Rommel rode in 263 at war start)

Edited by delems

It doesn't have to be totally balanced. But you need some kind of equallity.

It is a game after all. I am trying to add another dimension to the game to make it a little more supply oriented. Which had greater influence back in the day. Both sides had different strengths to use. Each one important but different. The game would have to design them

so that they can be overcome buy the other side. It would require some finesse so that one side does not dominate the other.

Like the SC over run of the map. That needs some thought on how to organize it to make it

not a powerhouse unto itself.

Going with the Arado 196, should be here in a few days - pic when assembled and painted.

Should have a few of these at every Zee port town.

Ar196HourtinBrest.JPG

Edited by delems

Good to see old friends & players again.

& Who might I be? Well, I succumbed to getting a 'free' account so Hence my name has a # in it!

& How did I get back finally in here? WINDOWS 10 ! :D

& Where have I been? Pinning. I just could Not get WW2OL to open in XP. So an old friend mentioned another WW2 game. I said b4 all this XP problems surfaced, that I wasn't Up to learning a whole new game's mechnics.

Level 12 atm ;P

But this game BE rocks for it's communications. Without which there can not be TEAMWORK. Which translates into NO Victory(ies) either.*

Chat is vital to win. Without u may kiss WINS goodbye.

Btw ~ the other WW2 game stopped working online too. But somehow found the 'russian' site and can log in there!... Need to learn Russian! oy :)

Keep Up the Good Work Gents!

Wintons over&out! :D

The greatest aspect of the idea I postulated, in these times we find ourselves in ... is that you could do the aircraft models without an aircraft modeler. All you'd have to do is have a knowledgeable person modify some data files, and then have an artist give them a new texture. The data work could be done in a matter of hours.

The game engine/host side of things would require more work, to create the "photo recon" functionality. That would be true however, with any approach to the problem. It's the getting the aircraft virtually for free that is the big plus.

You could skip the retexturing task and just alter the data while you're in there to have a "RECON" icon or even no icon differentiation at all if you prefer. Saving even more time and resources.

Edited by DOC

Good to see old friends & players again.

& Who might I be? Well, I succumbed to getting a 'free' account so Hence my name has a # in it!

& How did I get back finally in here? WINDOWS 10 ! :D

& Where have I been? Pinning. I just could Not get WW2OL to open in XP. So an old friend mentioned another WW2 game. I said b4 all this XP problems surfaced, that I wasn't Up to learning a whole new game's mechnics.

Level 12 atm ;P

But this game BE rocks for it's communications. Without which there can not be TEAMWORK. Which translates into NO Victory(ies) either.*

Chat is vital to win. Without u may kiss WINS goodbye.

Btw ~ the other WW2 game stopped working online too. But somehow found the 'russian' site and can log in there!... Need to learn Russian! oy :)

Keep Up the Good Work Gents!

Wintons over&out! :D

WINTONS you olde sun of a ......

:)

As regards the light recon aircraft for battlefield info, I think they should have neither halo nor plane type nor trip aws. You gotta get close to see what they are. I think it would be an interesting and immersive addition without any new reporting features, just scouting and marking. Should be able to refuel at the fb, or a fru.

Apparently, she was quite the little turn-"fighter"... :D

Focke-Wulf-Fw-189-1(H).32-(V7+1J)-Finland-1943-02.jpg

Focke Wulf 189 "Uhu"

Still not very fast by fighter-standards, but at least a lot faster than a "Storch".

If you're going to go with stuff like the Storch, they probably would've to be able to spawn from FBs, outside ABs or from some sort of "mobile airfield". No way I'd fly 3 to 4 sectors in a plane that's 70 kph slower than my car .. :)

S.

Heheheheh ! :)

Ahhhh. Great response & even familiar ! :D

Sorry it took so long to 'reply' back.

I did check back couple of times. But only now realize this had gone to 2nd Page! :P

So glad you're You and moving up! in the world of WW2OL !

Later bud.

& Enjoy the weekend*

Heheheheh !

Ahhhh. Great response & even familiar !

Sorry it took so long to 'reply' back.

I did check back couple of times. But only now realize this had gone to 2nd Page! :P

So glad you're You and moving up! in the world of WW2OL !

Later bud.

& Enjoy the weekend*

Ah yes, the senior moment kicks in.

:D:D:D:D