david01

Not nearly enough content or players

30 posts in this topic

Two places to fight and what looks like 20 vs 20 max battles doesn't make for a reason to subscribe.

I'm F2P, just by adhering to basic game principles I follow the OKW oic(zman's orders) and put a spawn near our depots, through the Herculean effort of other axis players we capture a few and can then get something resembling a "hard" spawn, if only by exploiting the warp behavior. While the other team just sits on defense and does all it can to stop us from spawning near them. So they win and then the map goes dull for literally 8 hours.

EDIT: At any rate great job on allowing F2P to make missions and spawn trucks though, somehow my warp spawn to Bethune depot was the only action on the entire MMO mass most combined arms whatever simulation you guys created.

Edited by david01

Sometimes i just spawn at a quiet airfield and listen to the birds and watch the planes taking off, it`s quite therapeutic.

In the past I've sit in an FB for hours, waiting for an enemy that never came. Some times I spawn in a camped Base, flooded with enemies and have to fight it to get them back.

Some times this game has less players, some times has more. Some times our side seems to be doing all wrong, sometimes we seem to be doing all perfect and the other side seem like a bunch of fools.

If you want a game were whenever you login, you always get the same level of experience, this game is not for you.

Two places to fight and what looks like 20 vs 20 max battles doesn't make for a reason to subscribe.

I'm F2P, just by adhering to basic game principles I follow the OKW oic(zman's orders) and put a spawn near our depots, through the Herculean effort of other axis players we capture a few and can then get something resembling a "hard" spawn, if only by exploiting the warp behavior. While the other team just sits on defense and does all it can to stop us from spawning near them. So they win and then the map goes dull for literally 8 hours.

EDIT: At any rate great job on allowing F2P to make missions and spawn trucks though, somehow my warp spawn to Bethune depot was the only action on the entire MMO mass most combined arms whatever simulation you guys created.

There's the air game and the armor game. The AA game and the ATG game.

Much more to the game than just playing infantry and trying to cap CPs.

I've never seen the map go dull for literally 8 hours. I had a bofors up near my FRU at Bethune, which was up for nearly 45 minutes 500m from town. Saying you're FRU was the only one up is kind of a BIG stretch. We had way more than 20 there during the height of that battle, as well. I should know, I was there for 164 minutes on one bofors sortie, which started 800m from our FB, then moved in to 1500m from town, then 500m from town.

I had trucks constantly passing me going to set up FRUs. I really don't know what you saw, but it's way different than what I saw.

There's the air game and the armor game. The AA game and the ATG game.

Much more to the game than just playing infantry and trying to cap CPs.

I've never seen the map go dull for literally 8 hours. I had a bofors up near my FRU at Bethune, which was up for nearly 45 minutes 500m from town. Saying you're FRU was the only one up is kind of a BIG stretch. We had way more than 20 there during the height of that battle, as well. I should know, I was there for 164 minutes on one bofors sortie, which started 800m from our FB, then moved in to 1500m from town, then 500m from town.

I had trucks constantly passing me going to set up FRUs. I really don't know what you saw, but it's way different than what I saw.

We had more than 10 in 1 mission and there were many more missions available, and then we had the tanks, the AAA and the pilots above, so I doubt it's just 20 v 20. Although I agree that maybe towns should have more variety.

Oh yea, and killing a Sherman with a Pak 37mm is so satisfying :)

Oh yea, and killing a Sherman with a Pak 37mm is so satisfying :)

OMG you done did it now! they will lunch you.

I'm wondering if this is the same david that lived on the mmorpg forums?

Edited by maxios

I'm wondering if this is the same david that lived on the mmorpg forums?

What does he do? Trash everything he plays? lol

One of the problems with the truck FRUs coming back, is that the capture times were not adjusted.

Before, we had 1 min capture times with truck FRUs. Then they moved to infantry FRUs (and area capture) and cap times became 8 mins, subsequently adjusted to 6.5 mins.

This is one reason for less content/action.

One of the problems with the truck FRUs coming back, is that the capture times were not adjusted.

Before, we had 1 min capture times with truck FRUs. Then they moved to infantry FRUs (and area capture) and cap times became 8 mins, subsequently adjusted to 6.5 mins.

This is one reason for less content/action.

There's not less action, IMO, just harder to cap towns now.

A cap timer reduction to 5 mins solo sounds fine to me. Drop it to 2 minutes when you have 2 or more in there.

If you get 8 in there the timer is 1 minute. It goes up with each number from 7 to the minimum of 1 capper, where it will be at maximum timer length.

just harder to cap towns now.

I think the key aspect here is surprise - or lack thereof.

Surprise attacks haven't been a thing since the introduction of AOs and brigade spawning. The moment the AO drops, the enemy know precisely where you will attack. And even without an AO, EWS will give strong hints as to where you plan to strike next.

But even on a tactical level, it's nearly impossible to achieve surprise. Defenders know where you will be to cap a town - it's not like you have to be in the general vicinity of a flag, you have to be in a very specific building. Plus the more experienced players know which of these flags/buildings are the important ones (link-/spawn-CPs), so it's relatively easy to keep an eye on things in smaller towns even with only a couple of defenders.

And now with the return of Truck-FRUs, you can't even surprise defenders with your direction of attack. They hear your Opel/Beddy/Morris (well, perhaps not the Morris) from a mile away and can pretty easily zero in on your FRU location. How many times have I run Opels, set my FRU, spawned on it, only to hear a DAC or Pan closing in once I entered the world as an infantry?

The only viable way around this seems to be to simply keep running Opels no matter what. Once the battle heats up a bit and things get noisier around town, the chances of getting an Opel near town and keeping a FRU up for a longer period increases. During the initial phase, things are usually relaxed and quiet enough for the defense to concentrate on Opel/FRU hunting.

S.

Edited by sascha

The problem with surprise is that it means "camp" in this game.

IMO, surprise isn't a good thing, game-wise.

People want to fight over towns, not spawn in and have them hammer-camped from the get go.

EWS is fine. People need to know that they have to spawn in and defend. Lowering the sound at which trucks are heard is something that would help.

You'd have your surprise, which means they might not know the direction of the truck/fru. EWS would be up so defenders would know to spawn in.

Having truck audio at 1k would help with this, but then when you reach later tiers, trucks could tow the big guns into camp positions at FBs, like the way the Allies do with the super-Morris lol.

There was a fantastic battle going on last night over some town on a river somewhere. (Fixecourt? Arraines? somewhere)

Very much combined arms, there was so much going on as we tried to hold on to the south side of the river, under constant DB7 and Hurribomber attack, defending with flak guns, anti tank guns and Stug's trying to hold off shermans coming over the ridge to the west, infantry scaling the =damaged bridge to recapture the railway station, being driven off and recaptured by Axis forces...

Granted, it doesn't always happen as the player count drops and the towns get taken quicker, but when it does happen it makes you remember how awesome this game is.:)

Sure, for every half hour of epic battles there are three hours of FB defence or a soft cap, but that's the nature of a truly open game. The players make it what it is, and when they come together for a concerted effort to fight over a town or an FB that both sides need, with good supply, then you get an epic battle.

The 'content' in the OP is entirely 100% player driven. If there is a lack of 'content' then it is down to the players (or lack thereof).

Edited by moortz

It requires more cooperation now with the truck fru. HC needs to have some pre-set up towns with 4 or less frus so you only see low ews. Everyone needs to work at it. Get the FB, then the frus, etc.

I see this as a group effort rather than lone wolf work.

Coopertion is the key word.

:D

The problem with surprise is that it means "camp" in this game.

Well.. by "surprise" I didn't mean: "Boom! We took your town... tough $hit!" That would be pretty lame.

And camping? No.. I wasn't thinking of that either. Not that I wouldn't enjoy a good camping-session now and then ... but it usually doesn't last throughout an entire attack, anyway. Not with EI capable of killing tanks at range and huge spawn lists full of ATG and ETs.

What I meant were the facts that:

1. Per game-design, defenders know exactly which towns are being attacked and where attackers need to go in order to win a battle/town (CP-buildings). No "surprise" there.

2. With loud engines and the truck-only-FRU rule they now also know pretty much exactly where to look for FRUs. Yes: With good teamwork and ant-trail markings, even infantry-placed FRUs of old usually could be found fairly quickly. But at least in the old days you could sneak in an infantryman close to a future target, set your FRU and wait for the AO to drop. Or hide somewhere, wait for the attack to heat up and open a new FRU in a previously FRU-less quadrant. Or pull your FRU and re-set it elsewhere as an infantryman. We had more flexibility on the attack and thus more ways to "surprise" the enemy (for lack of a better word).

I think what I'm trying to say here is that "flow of battle"-wise, the game has more in common with static WW1 trench warfare than with WW2 BoF Blitzkrieg. If the Germans had had to fight for every little town the way we do, that campaign would've lasted into 1941, I guess... :)

But that's totally fine ... otherwise it would be a pretty frustrating affair for the defending side .. :)

S.

Edited by sascha

will the new frus be like depots? that would help a lot. i hunted frus way back but it was stupid easy to kill an entire attack, i completely quit efru hunting to keep the action up.

The game is about teamwork so to get things done the game should make you play as a team and not lone Rambo's. The game mechanics make the game play relatively conservatively. If you want to kick in the barn door you need to:

i) Work together

ii) Rely on the enemies mistake

If you can group 5 people together to go for the spawn CP at the exact same time then in nearly all cases of a small/medium intensity AO the spawnable will be capped. However in practice this level of coordination does not regularly take place (aka happens only 5% of the time).

When the lag issues are sorted out playing infantry will no longer be like roulette and IMO will make axis small arms much more effective. MG34, FG42, Gewrhr 41 & 43, Grenadier and even the Panzershrek as the pistol will be a more effective defense from ei trying to root you out. Once that's in place any truck balancing would be more accurate.

The game is not red vs blue so perhaps the play style is that in normal circumstances Axis have to place their FRU's say 200m further away from town than allies can but when they get in close the more effective small arms come to bear.

===

There's not less action, IMO, just harder to cap towns now.

===

Disagree completely. When a CP is captured, there is action - players have to spawn to recapture it and defenders now have a foot hold to run to, warp to or possibly spawn into. No capture, no action; capture, action.

CP times should be cut to 2 minutes now for one person, this would cause a lot more captures, thus defenses. Not to mention allowing paras to have a purpose again.

We had truck FRU and 1 min capture; we went to infantry FRU and 8 min capture; now we are back to truck FRU, so capture needs to be reduced - pretty simple.

Edited by delems

Interesting..some threads start out with good info and turn into crap whines, etc. this one started out as a whine and turned into a pretty good discussion. either way..lets enjoy some intermission, get some feedback on the beta, and move forward in this badass game!!

S!

Surprise attacks where not attacks where the enemy captured your HQ under your nose, they where generally attacks mounted with overwhelming force which mismatched completely against the scale of the defences, leading to defence lines being overwhelmed.

Front lines always had people on guard waiting to fight back. I think we have a different unrealistic concept of surprise attacks.