• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New job posting.   02/23/2019

The Community Management team is looking for war correspondents to provide news stories or after action reports to be published on our website and our Steam forums.  Player correspondents imbedded with a squad is fine along with reporters overall who might want to produce stories about the campaign, a piece of equipment, a battle or a skirmish - all stories are encouraged and welcome.  If intertested in a volunteer war correspondent position apply at Tman@corneredrats.com
Helmman

Community Guerilla Marketing Campaign Ideas.

13 posts in this topic

I thinks it's time we start giving back to the game as a community and become more engaged and responsible for promotion and marketing. I feel I have an onligation to The Rats for the years of commitment they have provided to kerp this game alive. Now it's our turn! Over the next few weeks I am going to do some research and come up with ways we can expose how amazing this game snd community is and reach out to new and old players alike. Pleaee read below on how this works and post here if you have any ideas of your own.

We can do this!

It's an advertisement strategy concept designed for businesses to promote their products or services in an unconventional way with little budget to spend. This involves high energy and imagination focusing on grasping the attention of the public in more personal and memorable level. Some large companies use unconventional advertisement techniques, proclaiming to be guerrilla marketing but those companies will have larger budget and the brand is already visible. The main point of guerrilla marketing is that the activities are done exclusively on the streets or other public places, such as shopping centers, parks or beaches with maximum people access so as to attract a bigger audience.

But instead we need to accomplish this online!

Edited by Helmman

My thoughts:

1) Include the game name in all Youtube Video uploads:

The majority of videos I see posted by players on the forums have names which do not include the name of this game. The names of videos are things such as:

"Lol...."

"<Player X> owned"

"Squad Night 04/04/16"

"<Squad name> attacking Aarchost"

Likewise in the video description or 'Tags' there will be 0 mention of Battleground Europe/WW2online. As a result when searching there is less videos. Names of videos should be like the below instead:

"<player x> owned - WW2Online"

"Squad Night 04/04/16 - Battleground Europe"

etc

2) Promote the game on other games videos:

On youtube videos of other FPS or MMORPG games e.g. Red Orchestra you can drop comments which make reference to WW2Online in a positive way.

"Great game. Used to play this all the time until I found WW2 Online"

You could also double team with another person/account and create a conversation.

Person X: "Great game. Used to play this all the time until I found WW2 Online"

Person Y: "WW2Online still going? Last I played was 2008. Epic game. Anything new?

Person X: "Lots. They've introduced Americans, Zookas & Shreks, updated graphics, buildings performance etc"

Person Y: Thanks for reminding me, will check it out

Over the next few weeks I am going to do some research and come up with ways we can expose how amazing this game snd community is and reach out to new and old players alike. Pleaee read below on how this works and post here if you have any ideas of your own.

We can do this!

It's an advertisement strategy concept designed for businesses to promote their products or services in an unconventional way with little budget to spend. This involves high energy and imagination focusing on grasping the attention of the public in more personal and memorable level.

Some good videos on Youtube, some actually decent streams on Twitch, and maybe wake up the subreddit for this game as it's comatose while /r/Warthunder, /r/WorldofTanks and even /r/WorldofWarships have a few hundred people browsing at any time. EVE Online periodically gets a big influx of new and returning players every time there's a big battle because the banter and insults between players and factions(something that seems banned here) on /r/Eve hit the front page of Reddit frequently.

You can just rip the player comms from large squads(if there are any left) and overlay it with some staged game footage to fit the audio and have a great promotion video.

AdfFnTt2UT0

clcbFOGhxMA

==SPACER==

==SPACER==

Excellent post Helmman! We should do something as other games seem to be grabbing market share with their many ads.

Certainly, many have seen the World of Tanks and World of Warship ads since they started running -- years ago for WoTs.

Now, they have youtube and even news page commercials airing!

Here is an example of a commercial for Warthunder at Fox news

Ad-commercial.jpg

Ironically, game links for Dragomon Hunter and League of Legends even appear on our WWIIO site!

Ads_on-site.jpg

The Rat marketing team has been shining with Google Ad Words

Ad_Word_WWIIO.jpg

However, it would be great if we could get some banners and commercials out there; perhaps we could

have a =banner blitz fundraiser= before this summer break =and/or= a slideshow or commercial drive

fundraiser before winter break.

AD1.gif

==SPACER==

Edited by vonguff

wait till steam release, stable .35 at least...

there are still bugs preventing a lot of people from playing (myself included).

honestly i think the rats should start advertising after 1.35 too.

Recently we had a meeting over marketing and one thing that I liked was how the new team at CRS is open to new ideas from outside the team. It always seemed that the marketing team had their ideas and never really reached out for ideas outside of that. I think the new thinking process of the team now is going to be a win for the game and community. I will be going more into this with my community report to be published this evening.

We totally agree, the 1.35 release will be a priority, then making sure we are stable, and then a big push at many different angles including but not limited to the Steam release, the Europe marketing blitz, and more ideas to come.

I think getting the subreddit going with more users and more discussion topics would be a great idea, david01. And also target other subreddits (r/pcgaming, r/gaming, r/mmo, etc) with posts and get as many people as possible to keep the discussion going in a specific thread with AARs, videos and immersive battle stories.

Speaking from experience, old players may be looking for new information about the game outside of the ww2ol website...and reddit is the next place I stopped.

How about targeted marketing campaigns to folks we think are the most likely to be interested in the game? Reenactor groups and forums: http://www.worldwartwohrs.org/, http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/ , etc..... WW2 aviation, tank and infantry forums: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/ , etc...Other ww2-themed games, not just online but single-player game forums.

I think this game speaks to a player demographic that might be slightly older than average, focused on simulation and historical accuracy and not instant gratification...but you all know this already.

There is no other game that compares to WW2ol and the possibility of getting more players into the battle is exciting...I can't begin to image how a major battle from the early days would play out now!!

wait till steam release, stable .35 at least...

there are still bugs preventing a lot of people from playing (myself included).

honestly i think the rats should start advertising after 1.35 too.

Our communication has suggested nothing less than a solid 1.35 prior to any major initiative. That said, we have a lot of ground work to lay out "NOW" in order to be ready for that, because fortunately for ALL of us it's not that far away :).

If you would like to help in anyway possible, please contact BADGER and OHM and join our community Marketing team. If you have ideas and are willing to help, that's all we ask. If you have artistic skills or professional skills relating to this topic, we'd really like to hear from you.

S!

Something which might help, and which has been overlooked, is starting threads on flight sim sites, such as SimHQ. This game has a large flight sim component which is very much overlooked when publicizing it. It could also get some more planes in the air, which would also be a good thing.

-Irish

Something which might help, and which has been overlooked, is starting threads on flight sim sites, such as SimHQ. This game has a large flight sim component which is very much overlooked when publicizing it. It could also get some more planes in the air, which would also be a good thing.

-Irish

We need manpower to support with these sort of things. We are only so many people here at CRS, and only have so much time each day. If you want to help, please contact BADGER or OHM to get involved ~ the game would benefit from it immensely.

I think getting the subreddit going with more users and more discussion topics would be a great idea, david01. And also target other subreddits (r/pcgaming, r/gaming, r/mmo, etc) with posts and get as many people as possible to keep the discussion going in a specific thread with AARs, videos and immersive battle stories.

Speaking from experience, old players may be looking for new information about the game outside of the ww2ol website...and reddit is the next place I stopped.

How about targeted marketing campaigns to folks we think are the most likely to be interested in the game? Reenactor groups and forums: http://www.worldwartwohrs.org/, http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/ , etc..... WW2 aviation, tank and infantry forums: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/ , etc...Other ww2-themed games, not just online but single-player game forums.

I think this game speaks to a player demographic that might be slightly older than average, focused on simulation and historical accuracy and not instant gratification...but you all know this already.

There is no other game that compares to WW2ol and the possibility of getting more players into the battle is exciting...I can't begin to image how a major battle from the early days would play out now!!

The main obstacle from here is that there isn't any material to market with. What's the biggest infantry operation? The biggest armor op? Do people still form up fighter sweeps anymore? I don't see any video just some written AARs from the map OICs. There's nothing to hook a player from World of Tanks or ArmA. The game has suffered from its focus on the high command.

The game seems to have curled up in a little ball on the internet while everyone else is promoting their product 24/7 on youtube, twitch, twitter and all manner of social networks. Instead of a simple game forum there are at least 14 different subforums(most of them dead), another layer of subscriber-only forums and the training area has stickied stuff from nine years ago. If I tell someone to check the subreddit they're going to think that this game is dead, and if I tell them to check the forums they're also going to think that the game is dead.

David AEF mounted a successful campaign which included lots of ZOCS that built gameplay. There is a lot going on in the way you want, but there is a lot going on in some quarters.

Edited by smythes