• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
sascha

Things I've learned from playing on a laptop

9 posts in this topic

1. Never underestimate the role of audio in this game. On my gaming desktop-PC at home, I use a decent Plantronics-headset of an "over-ears" kind of construction. On the laptop I tried a cheapo "on the ears" headset and a pair of "in-ear" plugs. Both of which make it incredibly difficult to locate sounds.

2. Screen-wise, go as big as you can. I'm usually playing on a 27'' monitor in 1080. On the laptop I'm limited to 1366*768 on 15.6'' and I feel blind. Incredibly hard to locate EI at anything but short distance.

3. Good quality peripherals help a lot. My desktop mouse is a smooth-as-silk and highly precise Razer Taipan. On the laptop I'm using a cheapo Logitech mouse which makes accurate aiming near impossible.

4. If my faithful Sidewinder FF2 ever breaks, I'm screwed. Having to play without a stick just feels wrong. Mouse-aiming turrets and ATGs is so strange and counter-intuitive to me. Plus there's the whole thing about not being able to fly which also sucks.

And current joysticks seem to come only from Saitek and Thrustmaster - and all of them look horrible. Except for the Warthog which is sadly too large for my medium-sized hands. Plus it costs an arm and a leg... :) But I know that I don't like Saiteks. All Saiteks I've tried felt "wobbly" and lack the perfect "centering action" of the FF2. Same reason why the completely "centering-spring-less" CH Fighterstick isn't an option for me - if they even still make that one.

5. How did I ever do without TrackIR? Even though I can't fly on the laptop, I do miss the ability to quickly swing my head around as a TC or ATG commander using TrackIR. I suppose I could make do on the ground with a hat-switch, but since I have no stick here either ...

6. Computing power is life in this game. This laptop wasn't really designed to run games. To put things into perspective: It does ok with Civ V on low settings (still gets hot as hell), but that's a strategy game, not a combat simulation. And while my FPS in WW2ONL are *ok*, the game still feels much less smooth than on the desktop. Which totally changes the experience for me. On the laptop, I feel like a child stumbling around the map, while on the PC, I feel "at home" in the game-world.

S.

Edited by sascha

I could never get it to run on my laptop..........and I have a great laptop. 4K res and top line video card but can get it to run in the right resolution and everything is either distorted or WAY to small. I gave up and just play on the desktop.

4K res and top line video card but can get it to run in the right resolution

Something similar happened on my laptop. I set the resolution in the pre-game settings to my desired one, but the game ran in 800X600 for some reason. Set correct resolution in the in-game preferences, re-started the game and for some reason *then* it worked.

S.

I play on laptop - I wish I had a bigger screen like you, but i have no problem with the other stuff like directional sound, pc power, the mouse, a joystick, or even using Trackir with my laptop. I guess it depends on the laptop, some of the more powerful laptops run the game just fine.

Edited by krazydog

Only the weakest of the weak use Track IR.

;)

Then again...maybe if I used it I might actually become a better LTAP.

hmmmm....

:)

Then again...maybe if I used it I might actually become a better LTAP.

I've been flying MMOs since the mid 90s, starting with Air Warrior 2. In all that time all I ever used was the hat-switch plus "Num5" as the "straight up" modifier.

I flew like this in AW2, Warbirds, IL-2 and WW2ONL for years, until I re-subbed to this game a few years ago and started flying with the TS-crowd. These guys kept on about how great TrackIR was for them. I knew about the product since 2004 or so when a colleague of mine had an early TrackIR at the office for review. But I never thought it'd be worth its rather steep price.

Was I wrong. The first few weeks of "unlearning" my old method of looking around were a bit disorienting, but these days, I can't imagine going back to a TrackIR-less setup. Not only does it make scanning for cons easier, it also makes tracking a con so much more intuitive. With TrackIR I hardly ever lose sight of an EA that I'm attacking or that I'm defending against.

If you don't want to dish out all that cash for TrackIR5 plus ProClip (must-have accessory, IMO), you should at least look into one of the free alternatives. FreeTrack comes to mind, but I think there are others around, too.

S.

Edited by sascha

On the laptop I'm limited to 1366*768 on 15.6'' and I feel blind.

Why are you limited to the laptop's screen? My wife and both my boys have laptops and they all have 23 inch monitors hooked to them as primary displays. All it takes is a HDMI (or HDMI to DVI) cable.

-Irish

Why are you limited to the laptop's screen?

I'm currently away from home, looking after my parents' house/animals while they're on vacation. No stand-alone monitor here, so I have to use the laptop's.

Well.. there is a rather ancient 42'' LG plasma-flatscreen TV upstairs which I could hook up via HDMI, but there's no room to comfortably play in the TV-room. Plus: I'm pretty sure that TV wouldn't be able to handle a fast-moving computer-game.

S.

Even if you had a stick you wouldn't want to fly.

In the past I've had to fly on my laptop while traveling and the screen size makes it unbearable. And I own a full sized gaming laptop.