donatelli

Mouse

13 posts in this topic

Does a gaming mouse make a difference? I use a cheap mouse

Overall, not a bit. I wore out quite a few gaming mice before I learned that. You may have 3600 dpi (dots per inch) or 400 dpi, but the only difference is if you're actually able to stop your mouse precicely ON one of those dots, and the human hand and arm are not that precise. Imagine trying to see the difference between standard TV, HD, and 4K if your vision was blurry. :)

In the end, get one which is comfortable for your hand and has enough buttons placed where you need them. Your hand will thank you for it and the lack of cramps will give you longer and happier gaming sessions.

-Irish

p.s. Much more important is mouse settings in Windows (if you use Windows). Make sure the scrolling speed (wheel), cursor speed (distance the cursor travels across the screen vs how far your hand moves), and doubleclick speed are set right for you.

Edited by odonovan1

You don't need a hugely expensive gaming mouse, but in my experience, even a mid-level device will improve your experience - especially when playing infantry.

Also: Don't underestimate the difference a decent mousep@d can make. (Since when is "p@d" a swear-word??)

I'm currently using my "traveling-mouse". Which is a €10 Logitech device. It feels horrible, is way too light, not very precise and has a terribly clunky mousewheel-action. Plus it's sitting on a makeshift mousepad (black book I found in my parents' living-room, lol).

The Razer Taipan I'm using at home in conjunction with a Razer mousepad ("rough"/precision side up) makes it much easier to take well aimed shots.

That said: No need to dish out more then €30 to 50 for a good mouse. I don't think I'll go with Razer again, since after 2 years, my Taipan's LMB starts acting up, the braided cable is coming apart where it glides over the mousepad and the ultra-high sensor-resolution seems like overkill to me. Plus their cloud-based driver solution is getting on my nerves. And at €80, I would expect a mouse to be pretty much bullet-proof, which this one isn't.

The one thing I will miss about the Taipan is its ability to adjust sensitivity on the fly with two buttons near the wheel. Meaning you can switch to a more precise mode for difficult long-range shots at the push of a button.

Currently looking to buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Sensei-Laser-Gaming-Rubberized/dp/B007N6HS3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460444836&sr=8-1&keywords=steelseries+sensei+raw

...which should be more than enough to play the game.

S.

Edited by sascha

One advantage of most gaming mice over a standard one is the ability to change your DPI on the fly.

That allows you to have it set it for optimal movement, then at a kick of a button change it to a higher dpi for precise aiming.

In my experience, the two most important mouse factors are:

1. The size of the mouse itself. Specifically it needs to fit your hand like a glove.

2. A decent gaming surface.

mionix 3200 best gaming mouse i've ever used and i have owned prob 50 different mice

it's a euro mouse that is similar to razer in material but even more comfortable right side curves in for your pinky and right middle finger so it feels like a glove when holding it.

Thanks for that tip, dinker. The Avior 7000 looks very interesting (I'm a lefty). Too bad they don't seem to have any distributors in Germany. I don't like buying mice without giving them a feel first. But this one looks pretty tempting.

S.

Thanks for that tip, dinker. The Avior 7000 looks very interesting (I'm a lefty). Too bad they don't seem to have any distributors in Germany. I don't like buying mice without giving them a feel first. But this one looks pretty tempting.

S.

i have had some later model mionix but i still prefer the 3200...if you have access to amazon you should be able to find 3200 cheap since it's older model ..it is so damn comfortable no other mouse can compare. you don't really need anything over 1800 dpi most pro game players play around 800 to 1000 dpi...anything over 3200 is far too sensitive

here's the beauty - http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server4200/8hjcw/products/87/images/273/NAOS_3200_pic3__92439.1380196569.439.250.png?c=2

Edited by dinker

if you have access to amazon you should be able to find 3200 cheap since it's older model

LOL.. yeah, I have access to amazon and their German site does indeed offer these mice. But like I said above: I'm a lefty, so I'm going to need an ambidextrous mouse. Which the 3200 sadly isn't.

Plus I prefer non-"bulky" mice. My favorite mouse shape is probably still the MS Optical that they've stopped making a few years ago.

wmo440.jpg

Damn you Microsoft: Why did you stop making all those great peripherals you once offered? :(

S.

LOL.. yeah, I have access to amazon and their German site does indeed offer these mice. But like I said above: I'm a lefty, so I'm going to need an ambidextrous mouse. Which the 3200 sadly isn't.

Plus I prefer non-"bulky" mice. My favorite mouse shape is probably still the MS Optical that they've stopped making a few years ago.

wmo440.jpg

Damn you Microsoft: Why did you stop making all those great peripherals you once offered? :(

S.

well perhaps consider this one

Looks very similar to the Razer Taipan I'm currently using and am looking to replace. It seems a bit bulkier than the Razer, which isn't a bad thing, since the Razer is a *tad* too small for my taste.

I just hope these things are more durable than the Razer. My Taipan is now 2.5 years old and not only does it suffer from the stuff I described further up, but also LMB is acting up from time to time and will act as if I released it when I'm still holding it down. Plus it occasionally doesn't get recognized on Win-bootup (which thus far I could always fix by re-plugging it).

The mouse itself and its construction seem solid. The main body still looks brand new, but apparently the innards aren't as durable as I would like them to be in this price-range.

Funny bit is that all my cheaper MS mice lasted much longer than the Razer. The only thing that broke on my last MS Intellimouse Optical was the LMB - which of course is a death-sentence for the mouse, but it only happened after more than four years of intense use. And that thing was less than half the price of the Razer.

Oh well.. rambling-mode OFF. :D

EDIT: Just found a few videos and discussions about broken LMB on other Razer mice and how to fix them. Seems that the little plastic "noses" that transfer the click from the button to the actual switch are made from thin plastic and wear out over time. If the Taipan's construction is anything like the Naga's, this might be the culprit in my case, too. Should be relatively easy to fix with either hot glue or simple sealing-wax. One guy in a YT-video used the wax from a bottle of Maker's Mark to fix his mouse, lol!

S.

Edited by sascha

Looks very similar to the Razer Taipan I'm currently using and am looking to replace. It seems a bit bulkier than the Razer, which isn't a bad thing, since the Razer is a *tad* too small for my taste.

I just hope these things are more durable than the Razer. My Taipan is now 2.5 years old and not only does it suffer from the stuff I described further up, but also LMB is acting up from time to time and will act as if I released it when I'm still holding it down. Plus it occasionally doesn't get recognized on Win-bootup (which thus far I could always fix by re-plugging it).

The mouse itself and its construction seem solid. The main body still looks brand new, but apparently the innards aren't as durable as I would like them to be in this price-range.

Funny bit is that all my cheaper MS mice lasted much longer than the Razer. The only thing that broke on my last MS Intellimouse Optical was the LMB - which of course is a death-sentence for the mouse, but it only happened after more than four years of intense use. And that thing was less than half the price of the Razer.

Oh well.. rambling-mode OFF. :D

EDIT: Just found a few videos and discussions about broken LMB on other Razer mice and how to fix them. Seems that the little plastic "noses" that transfer the click from the button to the actual switch are made from thin plastic and wear out over time. If the Taipan's construction is anything like the Naga's, this might be the culprit in my case, too. Should be relatively easy to fix with either hot glue or simple sealing-wax. One guy in a YT-video used the wax from a bottle of Maker's Mark to fix his mouse, lol!

S.

sounds good if you can fix yours ...i have had this 3200 for 6 years and use it everyday..although i did not care for the mionix drivers runs better just plug and play. hope you get yours fixed .