• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
sascha

Went and bought a new keyboard

2 posts in this topic

...the "Impact 100" by Turtle Beach.

2-630.3106544634.jpg

I was in town in a huge electronics store, wanting to buy a new mouse. Didn't quite like the feel of the mouse, plus it was too expensive at that store, so I started looking at keyboards.

I love the feel of mechanical keyboards, but the ones that felt good and whose designs I liked all were €130 or more. And since the only keyboard that ever died on me in 25+years of PC-ing was also the most expensive one (and the only mechanical one) I ever bought (Corsair Vengeance K90), I'm still a bit wary of big name "gaming" keyboards.

By chance I saw the Turtle Beach thing sitting on the shelf, price was reduced from €49 to €35, so I started typing away. I liked what I felt. This thing uses membrane switches, but mechanical type "linkage" to drive those membranes. The effect is pretty awesome: The keyboard does feel like and provides the feedback of a mechanical one. To me, it feels like a mix of mechanical Cherry "red" switches and probably the ancient Microsoft Internet Keyboard (best non-mechanical keyboard I ever had).

logo-630x354.886d7c60.jpg

It doesn't have any fancy special keys/switches/sliders and no programmable keys either. But I don't need that stuff anyway. Upside of this is that it also doesn't need drivers to run. Just plug in the single USB-connector and you're good to go.

So far, I can highly recommend this thing (typing on it now).

Slight caveat for US-players: According to a tomshardware-review from a year ago that I found, the backspace-key on the QWERTY-version is tiny (same size as a regular key). On the German version, the backspace-key is just as large as on any normal keyboard - so maybe they've changed this on the US-keyboards as well by now.

S.

Edited by sascha

...the "Impact 100" by Turtle Beach.

2-630.3106544634.jpg

I was in town in a huge electronics store, wanting to buy a new mouse. Didn't quite like the feel of the mouse, plus it was too expensive at that store, so I started looking at keyboards.

I love the feel of mechanical keyboards, but the ones that felt good and whose designs I liked all were €130 or more. And since the only keyboard that ever died on me in 25+years of PC-ing was also the most expensive one (and the only mechanical one) I ever bought (Corsair Vengeance K90), I'm still a bit wary of big name "gaming" keyboards.

By chance I saw the Turtle Beach thing sitting on the shelve, price was reduced from €49 to €35, so I started typing away. I liked what I felt. This thing uses membrane switches, but mechanical type "linkage" to drive those membranes. The effect is pretty awesome: The keyboard does feel like and provides the feedback of a mechanical one - feels like Cherry "red" switches to me.

logo-630x354.886d7c60.jpg

It doesn't have any fancy special keys/switches and no programmable keys either. But I don't need that stuff anyway. Upside of this is that it also doesn't need drivers to run. Just plug in the single USB-connector and you're good to go.

So far, I can highly recommend this thing (typing on it now).

Slight caveat for US-players: According to a tomshardware-review from a year ago that I found, the backspace-key on the QWERTY-version is tiny (same size as a regular key). On the German version, the backspace-key is just as large as on any normal keyboard - so maybe they've changed this on the US-keyboards as well by now.

S.

nice , M8