stonecomet

A sortie in the life of...

2 posts in this topic

Logged in today (maybe 6:30 pm EST on 04/18/2016) and popped in at Launois. I used the active battle tab to get on the mission. Ended up being the beginning of the end of a P2 (priority 2 attack) and after wandered around there for a bit we got a call to attack Sedan. I saw that a player had placed a FRU for the attack. So I kind of took stalk of the situation and decided to start my own mission and see if I could help get things going.

I grabbed a Morris Tractor out of Charleville FB. I waited around for a bit but most of our forces were probably on the attack on the west side. I should have sent a communique out for some support but I figured I'd just try and get my mission set up on the east side. A little bit of a drive but the weather was nice and I was up for it.

I initially set my unit up in the woods to the north of Sedan but felt if I could just get my mission close to the docks we might have a chance to push the Naval enemy Brigade out of Sedan with a little luck and timing. As I drove my vehicle closer I realized that the town extended out further than I thought and I started taking some fire from an enemy emplacement but I was able to avoid getting me and my men killed. After that I was worried that I would hear scout vehicles come out after me so I hid in the area to the SE of town about 1.5 K out for a bit and listened. All I could here was what sounded like activity across the river.

I decided I better get closer and set up my supply because things were probably going to heat up and if I did not get closer we would not stand much of a chance. I set up SE of town about 800 meters out from the docks maybe 600 from the AB. Could have been a little further I didn't check. What was important was that the mustering area was in a decent position hidden from most angles of attack directly from town.

Once I set up I made the call to command and notified them of my position and received orders to proceed. We made a flanking maneuver along the south side to avoid the Army Bases Machine Gun tower then sliced into town on a diagonal and I ended up walking in unchallenged right behind an MG nest of one of their command posts. I resisted the urge to blow the nest and give my position and intentions away because the East side was so quiet. My radio man told me that we had some of our men in another one of the command posts and I could see that we had a group outside the docks waiting for the best opportunity to capture it.

Two of us where in the post when I heard someone coming from the nearby depot. I hesitated for a second then decided I would not just wait for my death and stepped out and to my surprise the enemy soldier was running past the post towards another one. I knew he had to see me so I brought my weapon to bear and as soon as he stopped I dropped him. I knew now that more were coming. We had maybe half of the post under our control and here comes those footsteps again, only this time on the other side of the post. I ran out as I heard an exchange of gunfire and circled around but the enemy had the same idea and we ran past one another guns blazing. He had a sub-machine gun and I had my trusty rifle. He winged me in the pass and I had my chance as I spun but my hip shot missed and he mowed me down.

By this time things were really heating up and the enemy started up some of their scout cars and their infantry were being called to battle. I spent some time trying to defend our reinforcements and chased a 232 up to the North as I thought he might be circling behind to get at us. By the time I got up there I realized he was after another set of forces to the NE of town. As I heard him coming back towards me I found a clear area and hit the deck to set up and he went first across to my left and then whipped around to my right and was heading for a line of bushes and out of sight. I stayed calm and tracked him, he was maybe a few hundred meters out and took one shot and then he disappeared. His engine ran for a bit more and then he went silent. I waited for a while hiding in a nearby bush and eventually started to make my way up to confirm the 232 was out of action. Unfortunately an enemy light machine gunner had different ideas.

I was so flustered I forgot to check the AAR for any confirmation of the kill on that pesky 232. During this time we had captured one or two of the command posts and were in the process of capturing the docks. It was impressive to see our troops make the attempt. In the end though we were stalled and the enemy eventually closed in on our supply and throttled it down to nothing. It was a valiant attempt and it almost worked. If we had only had a few more soldiers or even better, some Armour and Anti-Tank Gun support hiding in those northern woods we just may have pulled it off.

A salute to all those that gave their virtual lives in the attempt. I was proud to have you join me in the field of battle. The moral of the story is that I enjoyed the battle. It would have been icing on the cake had we won that battle but I guess you just cannot win them all.

S!

Edited by stonecomet
2 people like this

Great story here @stonecomet, on Wednesday it will be published to the Facebook page. We should be encouraging our community to produce more of these, because they're a real joy to read and many people would appreciate the effort in writing. For many others it will be their first dose of WWII Online's pure awesomeness.

S!

1 person likes this