• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
donatelli

Planes for free to play

23 posts in this topic

Are free accounts allowed to fly low tier planes?

you need more np ... short work .. look and be habby i think

affffffffffff.jpg

hmm, I am surprised we have not had an influx of flight sim guys

I'm not. Have you ever played modern flight sims?

I'm not. Have you ever played modern flight sims?

I agree with you if shiny cockpits, beautiful landscapes/clouds and accurately modeled subsytems are what you're looking for. I still have DCS A-10 on my HDD and I admire that game for its realism and level of detail.

I'm also giving serious thought to buying both the DCS 190 D-9 and 109 K-4 - just because of their awesome looking cockpits and incredible attention to detail. But the real question is: What do you do with these beautiful planes after the novelty of staring at near photo-realistic instruments and gunsights has worn off?

Yes, WW2ONL's planes aren't pretty or shiny, heck some of the cockpits are downright ugly - even when compared to old games like earlier versions of IL-2.

But all that is irrelevant to me since this is the only sim I'm aware of where my actions in the air actually "mean" something. I envy 111 drivers who can repeatedly hit CPs or bridges at the request of their friends fighting on the ground. Nothing like knowing that you dropping a bomb at the right time or downing an enemy bomber at the right time, might have saved your buddies on the ground fighting for a town or an FB.

OTOH, games like Warthunder, Rise of Flight or IL-2 multiplayer feel like first person shooters with planes.

Of course, this is just me and I know that I'm probably part of a minority. And it's hard to draw new players in with the kind of visuals that WW2ONL has. I wish there was a way to convey to sim pilots out there just how motivating flying in this game can be if you manage to get past the "eeww.. it's ugly"-stage.. :).

S.

I agree with you if shiny cockpits, beautiful landscapes/clouds and accurately modeled subsytems are what you're looking for. I still have DCS A-10 on my HDD and I admire that game for its realism and level of detail.

I'm also giving serious thought to buying both the DCS 190 D-9 and 109 K-4 - just because of their awesome looking cockpits and incredible attention to detail. But the real question is: What do you do with these beautiful planes after the novelty of staring at near photo-realistic instruments and gunsights has worn off?

Yes, WW2ONL's planes aren't pretty or shiny, heck some of the cockpits are downright ugly - even when compared to old games like earlier versions of IL-2.

But all that is irrelevant to me since this is the only sim I'm aware of where my actions in the air actually "mean" something. I envy 111 drivers who can repeatedly hit CPs or bridges at the request of their friends fighting on the ground. Nothing like knowing that you dropping a bomb at the right time or downing an enemy bomber at the right time, might have saved your buddies on the ground fighting for a town or an FB.

OTOH, games like Warthunder, Rise of Flight or IL-2 multiplayer feel like first person shooters with planes.

Of course, this is just me and I know that I'm probably part of a minority. And it's hard to draw new players in with the kind of visuals that WW2ONL has. I wish there was a way to convey to sim pilots out there just how motivating flying in this game can be if you manage to get past the "eeww.. it's ugly"-stage.. :).

S.

That is it in a nutshell Sascha :)

S.

This. It's even more than that. This sim has steeper learning curve than just about any other, leading to higher rewards. And the airplanes are different. They are actually totally different. In all the other sims, the airplanes feel just the same, with different speeds and climb rates and turn rates, but otherwise just the same.

I forgot to mention the icons - one aspect where WW2ONL still blows the competition out of the water, IMO. Just the right balance between realism and "playability".

I just watched a 20 min DCS dogfight-video of a Dora vs a P-51 without icons and it reminded me how much I hated flying on the (so called) "full real" servers on IL-2. Torture on the eyes and actually not at all realistic, since you're staring at a flat monitor.

Until we get some sort of virtual reality display delivering a true 3D-experience comparable to what you'd be able to see from a real cockpit, icons are a must, IMO - and "ours" here are the best I've seen yet.

S.

S.

I agree with this. I have tried other sims, it gets boring real quick. You could say the same for the ground game. I have tried every first person out there. A bunch of people spawn in, kill each other, repeat over and over....boring.

What has impressed me lately is the air war changing targets as HC switches objectives. We were in a battle for schilde the other night and allied air was all over. We(LW) came in (me not being a good pilot) and did what we could. And even though we were outnumbered, we managed to keep the enemy bombers from coming in at will.

Thank God for Mingus and Vader, without them there probably wouldn't be a LW. We need pilots!

I am looking for some flight sim forums to post in. Can't beat free right?

I am looking for some flight sim forums to post in.

SimHQ's forums used to be pretty good, covering many different games. Haven't been on there in a while, so I don't know how busy they are these days.

Other than that, I can only think of product-specific forums, such as the ones for the DCS-series or IL-2 related forums.

S.

Speaking as strictly an Axis ground pounder, I cannot express enough how much it means, when Luftwaffe appear to take out something trying to kill me, or a bridge that the enemy is crossing with tanks, or when they secure the air overhead, when you are fighting for a town.

You just want to fricking cheer, and we frequently do.

What other game would give you that...to know you made a difference.

Speaking as strictly an Axis ground pounder, I cannot express enough how much it means, when Luftwaffe appear to take out something trying to kill me, or a bridge that the enemy is crossing with tanks, or when they secure the air overhead, when you are fighting for a town.

You just want to fricking cheer, and we frequently do.

What other game would give you that...to know you made a difference.

Nice.

You should definitely show your appreciation every time this happens. A little bit of encouragement can go a long way in convincing these guys to come back for another sortie... then another... and after a while a culture of combined arms is born :)

hmm, I am surprised we have not had an influx of flight sim guys

Because the game below in the video is fully F2P. The only thing ww2online has over it really is instead of maps it has AOs chosen by high commanders, which a lot of flight simmers don't really care about.

s-CnG_vVZZM

S.

I am with you 100%

Because the game below in the video is fully F2P. The only thing ww2online has over it really is instead of maps it has AOs chosen by high commanders, which a lot of flight simmers don't really care about.

To each his own, I suppose?

I tried War Thunder and I wasn't impressed ... at all. I've flown IL-2 on HyperLobby and I got bored real quick. Same story with Rise of Flight (good sim, meaningless multiplayer-battles). The only multiplayer-sims I've stuck with over the past 20 years (really..? 20 years?) were Air Warrior 2/3, Warbirds and WW2ONL. All three of which were hardly "cutting edge" looks-wise, even when they were new. Tightly knit communities are one factor I suppose, player run scenarios, big maps and "meaningful", ongoing conflicts are others.

And while "fully F2P" might technically be true, all these games following the WoT-model are designed to make you spend real cash on equipment or eye-candy. I've played MechWarrior Online and spent way too much money on Mechs and cockpit-items. These games are designed to lure you into dishing out cash through micro-purchases. And I'd rather have the devs working on making the *game* better than working on new ways to tempt customers to spend money on virtual bobbleheads. "F2P", my ass.

My main point however is: Why keep posting on these forums about how much WW2ONL "sucks"? If you prefer War Thunder or any other game: Good for you. Play those games and be done with it. I mean: Just because I don't like Saitek-sticks I don't hang around their boards to talk about how crappy their products are and how much I prefer Thrustmaster, CH Products or my old MS Sidewinder.

:rolleyes:

S.

Edited by sascha

Yeah but Sasha, misery loves company. Look anywhere on the internet, it's everywhere.