• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
donatelli

Is there anything that can be done to bring balance to the air game

61 posts in this topic

we changed the data thresholds to disable inputs to tail control surfaces so that at the point where the tail should be coming off, the tail control surface damage would cause a pilot to pose control of the aircraft.

I'd take a guess that in fact the trim is still active so one can fly on on trim..

Probably correct, but it won't win a dogfight with only trim left.

Probably correct, but it won't win a dogfight with only trim left.

No, but it is percieved as no damage done. I never had a problem with this because flying h81s I always took every hit to be a miss unless it hit the cockpit.

Perception is important because it creates beliefs. There's still a place for facts however unimportant one deems them to be.

Whats all the whining about the LW rides? There is nothing wrong with them. The F4 is prob the best dogfighter in the game.

Saronin: You think I did't understand that before you posted it ?

The tail anomaly on Spitfires is restricted to solely the Mk.IIb. Just so that it is clear (once again) the tail of the IIb is not invulnerable. The anomaly is that the tail doesn't come off the airframe when the damage threshold is reached, that you see with other aircraft including the Spitfire Ia., Vc., and IXc. While I waited for an art fix to the model (it requires that it be rebuilt) we changed the data thresholds to disable inputs to tail control surfaces so that at the point where the tail should be coming off, the tail control surface damage would cause a pilot to pose control of the aircraft.

It's not as good as the tail coming off. The anomaly was originally an artist error when the model was built. I wanted to get it fixed, but I didn't have the call on that happening. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't own or run the company. I just like accurate history being called on what happened, and not the somewhat debatable claims made by people who don't actually know anything but the myth or legend that grew up around it.

Personal bragging rights: When I got drunk with Robert Shaw (Mouse) in Palm Springs at Gunjam's house, I had him sign my copy of Fighter Combat, Tactics and Maneuvering. He did me a real solid favor and asked me to sign the copy of Air to Air Gunfighter he had himself purchased. I wrote that one after The Butcherbirds Guide to a Free Lunch. If I had the manuscripts, or even a copy of the books still, I'd probably re-release them through Amazon.

No Doc. I know you understand it. There are those who do not however. Truthfully I am not a dog fighter. I started playing this game on the Axis side because my friends chose that side and I bought the game after them. I spent the first few years of this game as a Stuka CAS pilot, as did the people I joined the game with. With changes in bomb damage, flight characteristics, and lack of fighter support I am the only one left playing the game from the group I joined with. I'm still around because I learned to love the ground game as much as the air war. I don't actually fly much anymore given that time over target in a Stuka is approximately 3 seconds give or take with bombs that are not worth dropping unless they go right down an open tank hatch. Some players have solved the problem by turning Stukas into guided suicide missiles. While I find the tactic cheap I understand why it is done. So I may be a bit over sensitive about the game mechanics on the Axis side since I watched those that I played with leave the game because of it. I'm not taking a shot at you Doc with my commentary in this post or the last. I'm just laying out my view of the air war as it exists in this game.

3 pages, and not one "Get Off The Deck n00b"?

As someone who lost 200 hurricanes before i got my big-boy wings in RAF, i can tell you that a 109e boom-and-zoom attack is pretty deadly..:/

Whats all the whining about the LW rides? There is nothing wrong with them. The F4 is prob the best dogfighter in the game.

Well then, come fly them

It's all good Saronin. No problemmo. It's hard to please everyone. :D