snappahead

Single thread game?

14 posts in this topic

This game can run on a single thread processor but it would be best to have a dual core or better_​

Is this game single thread?

This is the question and i answered the best i can on the limited information.

This is the question and i answered the best i can on the limited information.

Your response really was irrelevant. Anything can run on a single processor, the question is whether one should get say, 8 cores clocked at 3.5GHz each or 4 cores clocked at 4GHz each, and the answer is 4 cores clocked at 4GHz each, at least the computationally difficult bits are running in a single thread.

Your response really was irrelevant. Anything can run on a single processor, the question is whether one should get say, 8 cores clocked at 3.5GHz each or 4 cores clocked at 4GHz each, and the answer is 4 cores clocked at 4GHz each, at least the computationally difficult bits are running in a single thread.

Sorry if i did not understand the question. I read it as black and white.

That is not the question I asked

It was actually - does the game support multi-threads would have been a better way to assess (to my knowledge this game has done so for a long while)

Edited by B2K

It was actually - does the game support multi-threads would have been a better way to assess (to my knowledge this game has done so for a long while)

Maybe I did not word it correctly, and I apologize if I offended anyone.

The question is whether or not this game runs on a single thread. If it can run multiple threads , then the more cores the better. But if it doesn't, then this changes things as far as the money you have to spend on a processor.

I searched for the best processor for single thread games and I found this https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Now of course the flagship intels are at the top, but look not too far down at the Intel Core i3-4370 @3.8ghz for $146 and the Intel Pentium G3258 @3.2 for $69.

Let's focus on the pentium. It's UNLOCKED and overclock friendly. It is an 1150 socket. Reviewers say a good Z board and easy overclocks are achievable. Now this chip will never be a good multi tasker with only two cores and no hyperthreading, but for single threaded tasks it is a BEAST. You have a $69 dollar chip you can overclock with reviews stating stable overclocks at 4.1ghz.

You drop that in a $150-$200 Z board with some high speed memory and it should kick some arse if this game is single thread. Now you might find a cheaper motherboard, but in my experience once you buy a mb for under $100, you find out why it's so cheap really fast. You need a good mb for overclocking to get the most out of this chip. And if you want to upgrade you already have an 1150 socket....which will fit the chip @ the top of the list :)

Now, the i3 4370. Not unlocked but already clocked @ 3.8ghz and hyperthreaded....better at multi tasking. For those with no interest in overclocking this chip with a cheap board and 1600ghz memory will do well with the game. I had an i3 4170 @ 3.7, 1600 speed memory and a cheap r7 200. I got 70fps in benchinfantry offline....not great, but good....and cheap!

So yes, knowing the answer to the question could help a lot of people get into the game. A lot of us that came back to the game had old windsor cores with 800 speed memory...doesn't cut it anymore. And most people don't have much to spend on a computer. What is the first thing you need to play this game? A computer

My nephew loves ww2 stuff and loves the panzer general strategy game I showed him. I want to build him a machine on the cheap to play the game with me. If you build it they will come!

Edited by snappahead

The question is whether or not this game runs on a single thread. If it can run multiple threads , then the more cores the better. But if it doesn't, then this changes things as far as the money you have to spend on a processor.

I searched for the best processor for single thread games and I found this https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Now of course the flagship intels are at the top, but look not too far down at the Intel Core i3-4370 @3.8ghz for $146 and the Intel Pentium G3258 @3.2 for $69.

Let's focus on the pentium. It's UNLOCKED and overclock friendly. It is an 1150 socket. Reviewers say a good Z board and easy overclocks are achievable. Now this chip will never be a good multi tasker with only two cores and no hyperthreading, but for single threaded tasks it is a BEAST. You have a $69 dollar chip you can overclock with reviews stating stable overclocks at 4.1ghz.

You drop that in a $150-$200 Z board with some high speed memory and it should kick some arse if this game is single thread. Now you might find a cheaper motherboard, but in my experience once you buy a mb for under $100, you find out why it's so cheap really fast. You need a good mb for overclocking to get the most out of this chip. And if you want to upgrade you already have an 1150 socket....which will fit the chip @ the top of the list :)

Now, the i3 4370. Not unlocked but already clocked @ 3.8ghz and hyperthreaded....better at multi tasking. For those with no interest in overclocking this chip with a cheap board and 1600ghz memory will do well with the game. I had an i3 4170 @ 3.7, 1600 speed memory and a cheap r7 200. I got 70fps in benchinfantry offline....not great, but good....and cheap!

So yes, knowing the answer to the question could help a lot of people get into the game. A lot of us that came back to the game had old windsor cores with 800 speed memory...doesn't cut it anymore. And most people don't have much to spend on a computer. What is the first thing you need to play this game? A computer

My nephew loves ww2 stuff and loves the panzer general strategy game I showed him. I want to build him a machine on the cheap to play the game with me. If you build it they will come!

The truth is the game is not being held by back by the CPU, the game is limiting how much the CPU can go. Besides CPU improvements over the last 5 years are so small, first generation i chips are not that much slower than the latest, the real benefits come from other technology that come with the new chipsets, m.2, usb 4, pcie 4, DDR 4, dx12.

This game does not perform better on a high spec pc like you would expect Doom, Battlefield modern games to, if the game moves in an Unreal direction at some point having the grunt would start to provide results.

This game runs 1 thread for most of the processing, but there is a small amount of computation that is done in a second thread.

afaik single core performance is still the best thing to optimize for (for this game at least). A dual core may be slightly better if the individual cores are equal to the performance of a single core processor. More than two cores is overkill for this game.

And then we still have to consider what else is running on your system, which may skew the balance closer to dual or more cores.

Erik

I upgraded from an Core2 Extreme QX6700 and it used all 4 cores highly due to the chipset being an bit old (4th quarter of 2006). To an Core i5 4690K and it uses only 1 core and then some on the other 3. Amazing processor by the way, I highly recommend it. But overall yes on an modern CPU, the game only uses 1 core.

Yes the game runs only on one core, but uses more than one thread, but having more than 1 core helps as other processes use the other cores. Besides single core CPU's are no longer made I don't think...

As the game runs off 1 core I have noticed if I overclock my system from 4ghz standard speed to 4.9ghz I do see a frame increase. The game is more heavy on the CPU than it is on the GPU as I am using a 980TI soon to be replaced by the new 1080's releasing this month (I am pretty sure I have hit the bottleneck for WW2OL GPU wise).

I have a decent system but the frames compared to other games are always lower unless I am overclocking and taking advantage of the water-cooling.