imded

Resupply from CP/DEPOT, FBs and ABs

36 posts in this topic

I honestly figured this should have been this way a long time ago, It allows for a longer mission without having to recycle a partially damaged veh that can still fight instead despawning it, it dies from being hurt then you have lost the supply of that veh.   Also, lets say you have injured or dead crew then they can't help with resupply so the supply refills less by the same percentage as injure or dead crew.  So one could come back with just the driver and gunner refill slow then head back out if the supply is extremely low. Not many people will actually do this so I don't think it will throw the game out of balance.

I remember this topic. But now we have two other ways to resupply: The FMS allows for resupply; as does the Ammo Box PPO.

I love the ammo box as a concept. I think that it is very hard to use because you have to use a truck to place it, and like other PPOs , it only lasts 30 minutes (IIRC)

Personally, I would like to see the ammo supply box eventually be a rifleman placed PPO. It looks like a case of ammo, and the ability to easily place them should not throw the game off.

1 person likes this

*** Personally, I would like to see the ammo supply box eventually be a rifleman placed PPO. It looks like a case of ammo, and the ability to easily place them should not throw the game off.

Disagree, would be way to much ammo all over the place.

Truck placed ammo cache perfect imo.  As for the time it stays around- ya that could be looked at; maybe 1 hour be good?

1 person likes this

All PPOs do not degrade over time if there are players nearby. Nearby player presence refreshes the despawn timer to 0.

At least, that's my understanding.

I couldn't see riflemen being able to do it, but I could see engineers getting an ammo cache ppo.

15 hours ago, chaoswzkd said:

All PPOs do not degrade over time if there are players nearby. Nearby player presence refreshes the despawn timer to 0.

At least, that's my understanding.

I couldn't see riflemen being able to do it, but I could see engineers getting an ammo cache ppo.

Oh GOD I hope not. There aren't even a fraction of the engineers in game to do everything that people want them to do in the game now, and people are suggesting making them the lynchpin for even more?

Consider that if we put the responsibility for 99% of our PPOs solely on Engineers, and as a matter of course, the majority of engineers get knocked out in the early stages of any defense or attempting to blow FBs, then we lose the ability to place the majority of PPOs at almost every battle. Sure people can try to prep, and can use them to  set defenses for FMSs that are not under fire, but I believe we  are putting all of our eggs in one 10-15 unit per brigade basket.

I believe that we need to spread the PPOs around among the various units... Riflemen make sandbags and build ammo boxes, LMGs make MG pits, Mortars make similar Mortar pits.And so on.

*** I couldn't see riflemen being able to do it, but I could see engineers getting an ammo cache ppo.

I still say no way.

Think about it, how does 1 person carry enough ammo to create an 'ammo cache'?

Nope, truck placed only imo.

10 hours ago, delems said:

*** I couldn't see riflemen being able to do it, but I could see engineers getting an ammo cache ppo.

I still say no way.

Think about it, how does 1 person carry enough ammo to create an 'ammo cache'?

Nope, truck placed only imo.

How does one person build an ATG emplacement? How does one person place an anti tank hedgehog, which would have taken a team of men and a truck to place? How does one man build a sandbag wall without a truck  or help to carry the sandbags? The ammo caches are actually physically smaller than the sandbag walls and about the same size as the hedgehogs; however appear to be ammo in a crate. Shall we assume that by your logic that NO infantry unit should be able to place anything other than a foxhole?

3 minutes ago, Quincannon said:

NO infantry unit should be able to place anything other than a foxhole?

Well, now that you mention it...
Usually 2 guys dig one fox hole, and it takes a while

Kidding.

I could see a guy placing a small cache of infantry ammo with a short life span, or maybe a fixed amount of ammo given and it goes away.
Fuel bombs and tank rounds may be a bit too abstract for a guy to carry but just some basic infantry stuff might be ok.
There are some things you do have to abstract for game reasons, unless you can consistently force 5 guys to carry some supply crates around.
I don't think anyone including delems wants to be those 5 guys?

24 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Well, now that you mention it...
Usually 2 guys dig one fox hole, and it takes a while

Kidding.

I could see a guy placing a small cache of infantry ammo with a short life span, or maybe a fixed amount of ammo given and it goes away.
Fuel bombs and tank rounds may be a bit too abstract for a guy to carry but just some basic infantry stuff might be ok.
There are some things you do have to abstract for game reasons, unless you can consistently force 5 guys to carry some supply crates around.
I don't think anyone including delems wants to be those 5 guys?

I agree. My point is that. just as an ATG position built by one engineer represents what would actually be the efforts of several men with tools, a Rifleman could "build" an ammo dump, representing the work of several men carrying a few crates and putting them into position. If we can suspend belief for some PPOs, we can do it for others. It's up to CRS to decide in the end  which ones that each unit can build. My point is that it doesn't make sense to me that only engineers and riflemen can build PPOs. The idea of rifleman building an ammo cache was an example of a potential option that could help resolve the ammo resupply issue.

*** Shall we assume that by your logic that NO infantry unit should be able to place anything other than a foxhole?

No,

It is one thing to build a little sandbag or foxhole; that is for the most part completely inconsequential to the game.

Especially since the sandbags can't actually do anything; you can run right around them and they are trivial to remove.

It is completely another thing to build an ammo cache allowing a Tiger or Sherman or ATG or AA gun to fire unlimited rounds.

See the difference?

No way should anything but a truck be allowed to build an ammo cache imo.

3 minutes ago, delems said:

*** Shall we assume that by your logic that NO infantry unit should be able to place anything other than a foxhole?

No,

It is one thing to build a little sandbag or foxhole; that is for the most part completely inconsequential to the game.

Especially since the sandbags can't actually do anything; you can run right around them and they are trivial to remove.

It is completely another thing to build an ammo cache allowing a Tiger or Sherman or ATG or AA gun to fire unlimited rounds.

See the difference?

No way should anything but a truck be allowed to build an ammo cache imo.

Then what you are really saying is that you believe that the ammo cache should be limited because it is too powerful to be placed by infantry. That is a completely different line of reasoning. My issue with it has to do with the fact that it's hard enough for a truck to live long enough to place an FMS. A truck trying to run around placing ammo caches rarely gets to place more than one, if it lives that long; at least in my experience.