frantish

Increasing visible range to 10km (6km currently)

14 posts in this topic

(#2)

The game current range limit is 6km, because hardware limits at time.

Today is it far more powerful.

The most obvious advantage is for DD's since 6k is where a DD will pop into view, but the shells go much farther (15k?).

A DD trick is to set elevation to 6k, and fire at target moment it pops into view, knowing the range is exactly right.

(I think FMB can also shoot beyond 6k)

Aircraft will also benefit from a 10k range(!)

The DB-7 and He 111 bomber sight can easily see 10+k

Again, due to 6k limit nothing is rendered until 6k, and that is too close to spot target and adjust direction of aircraft to drop.

At 6k horizontal range one can only verify your lineup a few seconds before drop.

Binoculars can also see beyond 6k. Aircraft observers of course (Ju 52 and C47 have them). Again, that 4k will help because aircraft, even Ju 52, can cover 10k quickly.

If we are lucky the increase will be simple (increase render distance).

If 10k not work, try 7k, 8k, 9k.

Edited by frantish
1 person likes this

This would be a massive improvement in the airgame .... as Frantish said ... in a DB-7, you have 6 or 7 seconds to adjust your lineup before having to reset the vertical in the bombsight for the actual drop ......... so presently; Target finally appears .... back to pilot seat .... AP off and adjust course then AP back on ... back to bombardier, look again .... back to pilot seat, AP off and adjust course again and AP back on.... back to Bombardier aaaaaaand it is already time to drop. It's    Just    not       real    

There. That's two votes for 10 km viz limit now.

<S>

Edited by snappled
1 person likes this

1. The main database underlying the central server of course has to be able to manage all of the live objects in the game. As an object spawns with interaction range of a given client, or moves within that range, the central server communicates information about that arriving-in-interaction-range object to that given client. The client has its own database to hold information about every live object it's told about by the central server. That's how the client is able to make decisions about which of those live objects will be rendered and otherwise interacted with.

When the interaction radius of a client is flooded with live objects, the server can't send them all. The server has limited processing cycles...it has to handle the traffic for every client...so determinations that it makes as to which live objects to pass onward to a client are crude, maybe based on a coarse calculation of distance...closest first up to some number, then no more. My understanding is that as the interaction radius is extended outward, the percentage of possible interactions that are not chosen to be live-managed by just one of the involved clients, but that are managed by the other, goes up dramatically.

2. The interaction radius cannot be increased only for naval and air objects. Ships cannot be allowed to see land objects at ranges where the land units cannot see the ships. Aside from the game-engine-design question, that also would be historically backwards, i.e. ships at sea are visible at much greater range to either land or air observers than the reverse.

I'm totally a supporter of realistic interaction ranges for the deep water naval game. I don't think that can happen, for several reasons, in the same technical environment with land combat.

Anyway the game "was coded" this should be looked into.

When attending the Buckeyes ceremony last year the overflying planes were not visible (due to many soldiers standing on airfield).

I completely understand the limitations, but some smarter algorithms need to give a plane making an overpass priority over soldiers not even aiming their weapons. In real battle there will always be soldiers lying in bushes, being in buildings. All those should not render to the plane, and vice versa. Freeing resources to make it possible to actually see more stuff.

And not a fan of "fog of war" (or what it is called when you add fog to mask the limit in rendering distance, but the DD example should have some fog of war. Like render up to 10km, but between 6-10km you could make objects go different grades of transparent, to simulate a very far object. At least make the "blink effect" go away, when riding along the 6km limit.

And programming this "extra mile" is not wasted. This "transparent programming class" could also be used for ground objects being in bushes or similar that are not "confirmed". Making it more realistic and at the same time freeing resources to render more of the combined arms around you. Of course, if a player aims continuously towards a bush, then yes, make it render fully, but not on ambient objects in side of view.  But what I am suggesting is just having another "status" of an object, as to being able to free rendering resources. Maybe this game is so old it actually renders EVERYTHING in your 6km circle, but then the solution is even simpler: Just do not render objects behind walls, and if further away than xx... etc...

Who knows: Maybe this "confirmation levels of objects" even could be used on network traffic, saving bandwidth. I mean, why send a location of a player that is not visible in a bush. Put it as low priority package with lower update frequency...

The 700m infantry vis limit really needs to be changed.  Don't have to go to 1000m right away, try 800m for a map, see how it goes.

I'm guessing this is such a trivial change, one number in the code somewhere.   Just do it.

Delems, I think inf was changed to 1km last year? But even then, I think that needs to be changed. If you're on the south hill in Haybes and looking down in the AB, you won't see inf running around down there.

But I wonder, if I fire 40mm bofors rounds into the AB and even if I can't see the ei, if my shell is rendered to them as a hit, do they die?

1 hour ago, holmium said:

Delems, I think inf was changed to 1km last year? But even then, I think that needs to be changed. If you're on the south hill in Haybes and looking down in the AB, you won't see inf running around down there.

But I wonder, if I fire 40mm bofors rounds into the AB and even if I can't see the ei, if my shell is rendered to them as a hit, do they die?

While infantry rendering range is 700m they can be killed at 1km max by rounds/bombs. Thus between 700m-1000m you cannot see enemy infantry but you can still kill them with whatever round you are firing.

1km+ the only way to kill them were if they were in a building which you blew up.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:06 PM, delems said:

The 700m infantry vis limit really needs to be changed.  Don't have to go to 1000m right away, try 800m for a map, see how it goes.

I'm guessing this is such a trivial change, one number in the code somewhere.   Just do it.

I'm pretty sure it never use to be that way. That's atrocious.

I don't think they understand, when they made that change, that you need to be able to recon enemy infantry positions out than you may be firing.

Nevermind that guns and tanks could easily engage from further 700-1500m. So gaining the high ground with good fields of fire becomes less useful.

Air recon of infantry, or strafing infantry, is also out of the question with that kind of vis limit.

Edited by rise27

Any news about this?

I read somethink about new server with much more power... it it possible know to upgrade the vis limit?

The client doesn't know the mindset of the player, and has to be designed to prioritize inclusion of nearby friendlies so the player can interact with them, and the closest enemies because most of the time they're the greatest threat and because in general they're the potential targets of greatest interest. The expected significant increase in game population is going to increase even higher the percentage of gameplay that has enough close friendlies and enemies that there won't be any display of units at even 50% of current interaction limits.

I'd guess that re-designing the client and server-database to calculate and store the geometrically greater number of interaction priority determinations over a larger-radius area, and/or the maximum number of managed interactions, won't be able to be tackled until the game is completely re-coded.

The following question may offer up another reason that the visible range is set to where it's set...

?, why did  they dramatically shorten the visible range of the 88, they used to be able to engage targets ar about twice the distance they can now?

was it because it made players crazy to be on the receiving end of something they could not shoot back at?

There is no reason to not change the infantry vis limit to 800m immediately.  Waiting for steam means it will never get done.

It's a single number change in the code - just do it.  I'd go to 1000 to test it, but if want to be careful, go 800.