• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
BADGER

What is your story?

44 posts in this topic

15 Years ago some of us were sitting on ready as the announcement that release day was just around the corner. If you were an original beta tester, I would like to hear what you remember of the days leading up to the release. If you were someone on the outside waiting, I would like to hear what you were up to too.

If you were a day one player feel free to discuss your experiences too, or even a player since, what got you attracted to the game and what you thought for your first impression.

I can remember when I first was introduced to the game. I used to be in the Deltaforce community and helped run Tacticalzone. com with Genpass and some other folks. That also spawned my opening intelgamer.com which was competing with sites like ign until intel threatened to sue us for the use of intel in our name. Well that is another story. One day I was reading the forums and a post was in the forum that talked about a game that would offer a world war II simulation and allow players to control everything in the game. This caught my attention, and I had to know more. The next day I searched and found contact information and telephoned the creator of the post, Hatch. I talked with him for a couple of hours I think it was. He invited me to come take a look, and the next day I was on my way to Dallas. When I arrived it was jaw dropping cool. Back then Playnet and CRS took up two floors if I remember right, one for playnet and other CRS. I walked into the lobby and the receptionist went to go get Hatch. There was a big CRS logo that was just so cool!

I spent several hours with the folks at CRS and Playnet, and the whole time I am sure I drooled all over the office. I met the team and was introduced to the dream of World War II Online. The whole thing was just more advanced than what any other company had tried or way trying to do at the time. I was there and watched as the infantry man was introduced into the game world. He had no animation and just slid around. I was also shown the cockpit of the Spit and was blown away with all the details that they had put into it. Remember, this was back in 2000 or so.

I was introduced to the big picture, what playnet was going to be (take ign and steam and combine them). I was blown away with what they had planned, how they were going to have affiliates that could contribute news, then be picked up and shown on playnet. Anyways, that was all admin stuff that most are not interested in.

Since that day I was unable to review any other games. Everything else just appeared to be miniature when compared to what this company was doing. I wrote an article about my time at their office, had to get it NDA approved for release, and then released it and approved screenshots. All media was under an NDA if we wanted to get first looks at the game, which is not uncommon in the industry.

As time went on, I would get updates that I could write about, and also went back to the office in Dallas several times. One trip was to Dallas for the Prerelease Mini-con where about 20 of us went to Bennigan's (which playnet outlasted). Many gallons of alcoholic beverages were consumed. The next morning I went to the office, got a little play time, then went home and wrote on it.

There was two big moments that the beta was interesting to me, one was E3 presentation. Mo and the guys were at E3 and the beta testers were to help show the game to the folks watching at E3. Of course the day was packed with interesting mishaps. Seems like lag hit the testers hard, and a crash happened. I can not remember if this was during the presentation or as, but I do remember the testers were depressed from not able to give a good showing.

The next was the week leading up to the release. Talk amongst the testers was that the release was too soon and no one was happy about it. All the talk was happening outside the game, but several of the testers were excited about it going live, but concerned that there might be some slight problems.

The release happened, and I remember that night was a long one. I think I called in sick that day to be honest. I could not wait till I could hit the field with my friends who I had told about the game, but they were not beta testers so they were not able to play and test. I had my game in hand and ready to play, I ended up buying a local one since the one I preordered had not arrived.

Things were looking to go great, then it happened. Nothing!

We all know how great the launch was. Looking back I am so sorry for the original rats and what happened that day. You know it had to be devastating for them. Knowing them, I knew their dream for the game and how excited they were for it, and to have it fall flat on launch it really had to suck. Lots of bad luck happened within that week.

I remember many of us beta testers hit the voice comms and forums and helped provide tech support and tried to talk with others and calm them as things were worked out. As players we felt so helpless. All that I was on channel with were trying our best to help please the crowd of all those banging at the door.

When CRS launched the different game worlds ( yes we had several game worlds) it created a big issue in the community. I remember the Axis all went to one server and the Allies went to another. They each declared theirs as the official server to count the victories on. Of course, the Axis won the campaign on their server, and the Allies won the campaign on their server (barely). Another issue was that we could not get with our squad mates. Our squad would be on a server, then it would fill up and we had to go play on another. This was nothing more than an evil nightmare to the players who believed in the game and wanted to play it. It was now live and it sucked! The game actually was great, but failure to be able to have all on one server, and not being able to play with your squad mates and friends, well it just made for a stressed environment. Again, while as players we saw this, I could not imagine what the Rats were thinking at the time. I would be interesting to see if one of the original guys could post about the time from their perspective.

After a while, the game became stable and was addictive. Which to be honest, it was addictive when we were beta testing it. I think that is one reason it was able to survive such an evil release.

Personally the game is here today due to two key things, the Rats who kept pushing, and the community that would not give up.

It was a horrible start, but look at what came from it. Our community was formed around the game, but it grew past the game. We all know how awesome the community is, so I will not go into that here. Well that is my rough story on how I got to the community and how I remember 15 years ago.

I was a beta tester for Counterstrike Beta 3 around 1998 when they introduced the knife, that was a big deal back then to be able to knife someone.

Forums were tiny and updates were huge and downloads and installs were a technical feat in itself.

I had been a day one Team Fortress player and was Blacksheep the mad pyro burning all and sundry.

We developed a macro installer for Bf1942 and Counterstrike updates that would autorun the download patches all client side. While the main program ran on servers.

This eventually became Steam which began by offering CS online.

On some sight I think tacticalgamer.com I was involved in the Beta for this and on launch was one of few that chose logistics trucking career path. They said beta was fail but all we had to do was sort out the red vs blue the concept was perfect.

Around 2000 I was heavily involved with BF1942 and EA were interested in the VOIP that bfewaw.com were using for in game comms. This modding tournament still running with Forgotten Hope and Forgotten Honor is one of the oldest online BF1942 BF2 communities.

We had both sides in one TS channel on BF1942 Guadallcanal when for the first tine ever we had sepereat channels. This was all at 56k or 512k back then.

We/ CRS got hold of the rights to a diguta map of europe used by NATO and battlegroundeurope or world war 2 online launched.

Edited by actonman

I played a game called Chain of Command by 2am games. Keld4r was a commanding officer of a regiment in that game and he mentioned this game several months before launch. Mind you, I was 14, and i remember begging my folks to take me down to Egg Head to buy the game. I played during the first few days of launch IIRC. I pondered a game name, learning the name 'battle urchant' that I used in other games wasn't as cool as my 11 year old self thought it was. I quickly misspelled battle and landed on batle911. I created a squad called "the blue devils" prior to launch and created an epic Geocities website. I was the only member to ever star in that clan.

It took me many years to learn the game had a 'forum.' I remember thinking the idea of people talking on a message board was really strange.

Anywho, that's how a legend was born.

Bar, the name, was born during an alcohol filled college night somewhere between 2005-2007.

Edited by baR

It's been 14 great years!!

30 July 2002 is the 14th anniversary of my subscribing to this wonderful world of World War II Online.

I was badger'd by BADGER to try it out. He and I had flown against each other in F22 Lighting. I quit that game and others, because of all the cheats, hacks, and abundance of jerks in them. :mad:

I was raised to believe and still believe, it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game that is important.

For the next year, BADGER and I kept in contact via ICQ, email, and phone calls. Nag, nag, nag, Bou you gotta try this game out. No cheating, no hacks just great fun. Finally, he gave me his 2nd acct sign in stuff and I tried it out. Next day I subscribed!:D And I've been subscribed ever since.

I sit here remembering the OJ charges, Tinker and his attacks on the south (at that time, the French and British could not occupy same towns), and dying a lot, but getting some success myself. I was playing French then (few people liked to play French at that time) so there was always equipment available.

I loved taking a Pan way down south to RR bridge, crossing and settin up ambushes on the resupply columns. In those days, you had to bring your equipment to the target you were attacking. Running to the river, swimming the river, sneaking on the Amiens airfield, and giving spot reports to Rebel357 and his guys who were flying CAP. "Hey, Reb, got three 111s, leaving Amiens, headed towards factories. Just lifting now." LOL, then bout 15 min later, Reb says all down Boudreau. Thanks"

I moved over to the Axis side in 2009, and it's been just as much fun.

The game has evolved since then, some of changes I am not so fond of. But as Gunny Highway says, Adapt and Overcome! Still lots to do and fun to be had.

The most amazing things is all of the friends I've made, There are just so many names, and I suffer from "sometimer's" (Hey, aint easy being 74 years old) so you guys know who you are. Thank you so very much!! Chatting with ya, gettin whacked by ya, and gettin even sometimes :D, makes my life so much richer. Loggin in with you guys is something I look forward to every morning when I wake up!!

Thru my spinal surgery, the wife's different surgeries, most recently a spinal fusion surgery, her breast cancer, watching the news every day, whenever the stress of living becomes too much to deal with. I come down here to the man cave and log in. For a few hours or so, I lose myself in the fun and excitement of the game and the community.

RATS, you and all those before, are such a dedicated group of people. I would so dearly love to shake all your hands, sip a glass of bourbon, and grope MotorMouth a bit. Sorry, RAFTER...hehehehe.

Number 1 on my Bucket List is to have a Mouse tag on my ingame tag. If I win the damn lottery, I'm gonna get one! :D Thanks again my friends and RATS. You really have no idea how much you mean to me!

Edited by Boudreau

Have no idea how I found the game.

Went on a HE-111 bombing run to England as a tail gunner and bombardier for my very first mission. Had no idea how to drop and my keyboard was not setup properly so the bombs never dropped.

Was hooked ever since.

My brother was telling me about this game he was playing back in 1998 I think , he said it was bad ass and not like the other war games that got boring pretty quick .When my mom passed away I went back up to Chicago and he showed me the game , I was up playing the next morning with no food or sleep but plenty of beer in my system . I was hooked , so after I got back to Texas I saved up and got a computer and played on his account on and off between 2000-2002.His game name was keitho he played with the French 9th marines , in 2003 I finally got my own account and have enjoyed the friends I've made and the endless hours of sleep lost over the years. !S to all past , present and future players.

Software store at the local mall, there was a small display for the game. It was exactly was I was looking for!

Sales guy "I don't think it's live yet"

Me: "Who cares, it will be!"

Load it up on to my Pentium III, 256MB RAM, and 32MB Diamond Viper video card.

Spawn in to vast wide open green, a road and a barracks.

"I'm new here, what do I do"

Player: "We all are, no idea"

Next thing you know I am randomly running around in tall grass, and hear the rumblings of a tank.

A large gray Panzer appeared, with a few inf beside it.

Within seconds, the hair my arms stood straight up, cold nervous sweat.. stood and tried to run.. had no idea where I was... ran in circles... died.

OMG YES I WANT MORE!!

Got my neighbor hooked. If I wasn't playing he would be. He went out spent $3,000 on a new computer. Remember, 2001.

We got some two-way walkie-talkies and coordinated missions.

I did not have that fortune, I had to make random upgrades. Even installed a second phone line in my bedroom for constant access to the Internet.

Thanks to CRS and WWIIOL, and my addiction to the game and constantly learning about computers, I eventually went to IT Security school and now have a career in IS Healthcare.

Still have the original CD and manual.. I lost my damn box!!! That annoys me so much!

Circa 2004 A bunch of us in Allied Strike Team met up in Ohio for a squad mini-con. Badger77 flew in from London! Then he and I flew from New York to Ohio.

This is way more than just a game!

Every moment online, a part of me is hoping an old name will appear.

An old friend!

I was playing microsoft's combat flight simulators. The unofficial/official forums for CFS was the old CFSIP Combat Flight sims ip. WW and Rcflyer were regulars there and had started playing this game day 1. WW would write up the most awesomely spellbinding AARs about the wwiiol game. After a few days reading his posts I start asking, where can I find it? Will my computer run it?

Well I had a Compaq 500mhz K7 with 256 megs of ram and a voodoo4 vid card. WW and Rcflyer both told me no that won't work. After a month of reading aars I had phoned around and found a copy of the game in Charleston, 1 1/2 drive.

I get home and install the game, I find I need a 100 meg patch to run the game. I'm on dialup, 26.4kbps. I get about 3/4 of the patch and thunderstorm comes through and knocks out our power. Next morning I start hunting a resumable download manager. I D/L that, install it and then start that 100 meg D/L again.

Finally I'm ready for action, I go to the launch page (yes the game launcher was on a web page) I select the server with the lowest pop as I'm on dialup (yes there were 3 servers and each showed population, I always tried to play the one with under 1000 players). I spawn a rifle at anhee and soon as I go out of the spawn I'm hit. I drop to the ground, it's getting dark but I can see a guy on the other side of the chain link fence so I shoot him. Then I get killed.

It took a real minute to change positions in a tank on that old computer, The next weekend I went and got 512 megs more ram which helped. 15 years later and I'm still here.

Day 1 player (Konieg) on June 6, 2001. Prior to the launch of WWII Online me and my buddies were having a blast playing Sudden Strike. We had a small clan of players then and many of us came over to WWII Online. I still have the game box and CD. Left the game around October/November of 2001. Came back briefly 2 or 3 times in the next couple years but did not stick with it. Rejoined the game March 30, 2016. Things had changed a lot, at least game wise. People are still being people (grumble, gripe, etc). Anyway, in the two months back I've been having fun with it.

By the way my brother, Eagle38, had to remind what my original game name was as it had been so long since I last played I couldn't remember what it was.

I didn't have a computer at the time, but a friend did, and he had discovered Warbirds.

He let me use his computer to create a Warbirds account and let me play on his computer.

I was hooked on online gaming.

What I loved most about the game were the player run scenarios.

I had to pause for a year as I was serving my year in the Navy, but when that was done I had the money to buy my own computer.

I was always red when flying, and I got to fly with and against killer, mo, docdoom...

We had a lot of fun flying, and on the alt.games.warbirds forums, and when the fm in warbirds got botched and it became easybirds, I got to follow the creation of WWIIOL in AGW and followed over to playnet.

I of course submitted an application to be in the beta of WWIIOL, but heard nothing :/

Then towards the end of the closed beta, CRS was holding a competition in a barbarian sword game where the top three would win a place in the closed beta, docdoom was the judge, and I had been practicing for a week for this tournament.

I ended up in 3rd place, but docdoom called the result while my match was still going *grrr*

so I took a screenshot of the scoreboard that showed the chat and how he had called it just seconds before our match was over, sent it to him and acted a bit butthurt, so he put me in the closed beta :P

Seeing that e-mail in my inbox was equivalent to holding the powerball ticket in your hands and watching live on tv as your numbers are drawn one by one, my hands were trembling, I called all my friends that were waiting for the game, they came over and we were sitting in front of the computer, watching the download counter and then the installing bar.

I use to fly Warbirds sim and at early 2000 year my squad mate told me about new project = WWIIOL. When I first read about the game and saw the first screenshots I said to myself - this is the game I want to play! Early 2001 I was lucky to get into closed beta. And from that time - I play this game for 15 years.

I'd read about the game in a PC Gamer magazine and I knew it was going to be awesome. As a poor college freshman I didnt have the cash on hand when the game came out, but after Christmas 2001 I finally did and I bought the game and didnt stop playing for many years.

Ended up with two accounts, so I could tow myself around, this being the tow account.

I stopped playing around the time of paratroopers. When ever that was. Not for any real big reason, just shifting times and less time to dedicate to WWIIOL. And by then I was far more active on OT than I was in game.

Heard about this game while playing Chain of Command by 2am, forgot what group I was with but remember RangerX who was our CO. I pre ordered the game and waited till it showed at 11am that morning. Took me a full 24 hours to get the download on that dial-up connection and that big 32Mb vid card I had. I played till 2003 and another game came out and I bailed on this one. Came back once a year to check it out but never hung around for more then a few months. Found myself pvping in every game I played and kept saying this was the ultimate pvp battle, so I came back earlier this year. I have been back now for 3 months and have enjoyed every day of it. Great community and am glad to be back.

Ok going to do my best.

I had come home from a SAR mission in Texas when a neighbor friend of mine saw me home and came over. He asked me to come over to his house and see this neat game he has been playing sense it started. His name game name was - Duke2. I watched him play the game thinking the whole time he was nuts and no way was he going to get me to play any online game. But he went on and on about look at that tank see it way off in the distance. No Bill I don't see anything. Bill said look see that spot up on the hill its moving - ah sure ok yea what ever you say. Finally I said oh sure I see that spot well that is a enemy tank watch this. He said now watch this I am going to kill it - he kept firing and I saw a little puff and he laughed and said I killed it. Bill went on and on and I had 3 nights off and he took up everyone of those nights hounding me to watch him. He finally told me when you get back in town I am going to have a copy of this game for you as a gift. Two weeks later I got home and sure enough he had purchased me a copy of the game at Walmart that offered the first 3-4 months free. Bill moved away leaving me with this darn game so one night when I was home about a month later I though well I will give it a try. From that time I have been hooked on this not always so fantastic game. I still like the game but I never would have thought that I would ever play an online game at all at my age of I think 55 years. Lets see I am 71 now and started game in 2001 someone do the math ok. Thanks

I first heard about WWIIOL through an article in PC Gamer describing games that would be a first person combined arms virtual battlefield. I kept an eye on the game’s development and about a month before launch decided to join a squad and so became a member of 4Wing. What I remember about launch day was the utter confusion, spawning in Namur as French and running down the hill as a mob to attack Profondeville.

Dedagn

WWIIOL 2001 – 2011

4Wing/3CD/4Wing

Was in on the first 50. Played games with a bunch for the Warbirds/CRS group. Orange Boards to start out. was part of the first 50 into beta. Sent the rats a bunch of joysticks so they could test them with the software.

Became a Mod. Was a mod for years. We had many leaders.

Played French as did my son Fosb.

Good times.

Miss the old crew a lot!

1 person likes this

I was at work (worked at Ericsson Radio Systems) and we had done all we could for the day so i was browsing the internet and came across an article about WW2OL in development. I was hooked and started searching the web for anything i could find about this game, i kept a close eye on development. When it was released i couldn't afford it. In 2002 a PC gaming magazine had a copy of it and offered a Free trial, i jumped at that. Logged into some town cannot remember which one, but it was under heavy attack, gunshots, explosions, bombers and fighters above in the skies.

I stepped out of the barracks and saw a big airplane (HE111) comming in over AB area, it dropped all it bombs i stood in awe looking at all of this mayhem happening around me and watched the bombs slam into the ground and ultimately killing me. *Big Grin* "WOW that was fkn awesome!" Was hooked ever since :D.

I got my own subscription in July of 2002 played on my own for awhile until Tgpo (i think it was Tgpo) recruited me into BKB - Black Knight Brigade. I got on teamspeak with the guys and got very immersed and if possible even more hooked on the game :).

14 years!

S!

Not sure how I found out about the game....but it was before launch. I used to frequent the old orange forum.

Bought the game on release day. I remember how difficult it was to get on to sign up.....the load time was soooooo long. Then we had the server issue (first weekend?).

My game name was Adler. I don't remember the name of the squad I was with, but do remember a young man named rommel8 that I befriended. Also recall a guy who claimed to have never been killed in-game...anyone remember who that was?

I had bare minimum specs. Terrain was sparse. There was a "bug" where you could climb trees, etc. That was fun....to sit up there and pick people off. Usually didn't last long though.

You could be in a building, laying down...but your legs would stick out thru the building wall so you could get shot (does this still happen?).

Sometimes for fun I would walk/run to some lonely, deserted enemy town where no action was taking place. Go in and change one of the flags, then lay under the table and shoot the enemy as they came in. That became more difficult once AI "guards" were added outside the towns to shoot any enemy that approached.

You could crawl under a tank and shoot the person inside.

In the early days, you would be hiding behind a bush...or at least you thought you were....because the bush was only visible to your side...it wasn't there for the other side, so they just saw you laying out in the open.

I played for a few years then stopped. I just wasn't spending enough time with it. Out of curiosity I checked back a few days ago and found I can play for free...so I signed up. Entered 2 battles last night....was killed within minutes both times. I guess my skills have eroded somewhat!

Wish I could get "Adler" back as my name! Anyone know how I can resurrect it for the "welcome back" promotion?

I will be retired in 4 years...who knows, maybe I'll start a subscription again.

Wish I could get "Adler" back as my name! Anyone know how I can resurrect it for the "welcome back" promotion?

You should be able to just get in game using the same username/password you used in the past with your account. Afaik, you don't have to do anything further than that. I have done that with my old second account, which it has been inactive for a year or so.

A different issue is if you don't remember your credentials. :D

You should be able to just get in game using the same username/password you used in the past with your account. Afaik, you don't have to do anything further than that. I have done that with my old second account, which it has been inactive for a year or so.

A different issue is if you don't remember your credentials. :D

I'll give it a try. I only have a couple of different passwords I ever use, so hopefully it will work. Thanks!

I heard about the game from our one and only squad leader Madurai (who long ago bought one of those $1000 accounts). He was prowling the orange boards, pestered us to sign up.

I knew I had an underpowered PC and had enough other gaming interests going on, checked in with him on how the launch was going, he said it was a patched mess of hell. I said no thanks, let me know when it's more stable.

A month later he said it was better, so I signed on, been here since.

Our squad, 4RCA or properly speaking, Quatrieme Chasseurs d'Afrique, was selected due to it's being the first regiment to switch to the Allies, that we would have a home regiment whenever North Africa came out and in the meantime we could pretend we got shipped to France (which the historical unit did in the Prussian and WWI wars).

The game name came from a spur of the moment name I came up with for the Battletech arcade team game, and is from this Special Forces saying-

July%25252022%252520-%252520Kill%252520them%252520all%252520patch%2525205-8x6.jpg?imgmax=800