• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
BADGER

What is your story?

44 posts in this topic

Of all the games I have played over my many many many many years. I must say this one still has given me the best "gaming" memories. I remember when i was in HS and i was sitting in the parents kitchen having my old desktop computer on the counter, just so i could hook it up to the dial up and have the patch download over night (didn't want to tie up the phone line during the day..lol). Now I'm going on 33 years old and married. MAN TIME FLYS!

Day 1 player. Still remember looking at the German HT picture, while "trying" to log into the game world...lol

Edited by legiox

I played a game called Chain of Command by 2am games. Keld4r was a commanding officer of a regiment in that game and he mentioned this game several months before launch. Mind you, I was 14, and i remember begging my folks to take me down to Egg Head to buy the game. I played during the first few days of launch IIRC. I pondered a game name, learning the name 'battle urchant' that I used in other games wasn't as cool as my 11 year old self thought it was. I quickly misspelled battle and landed on batle911. I created a squad called "the blue devils" prior to launch and created an epic Geocities website. I was the only member to ever star in that clan.

It took me many years to learn the game had a 'forum.' I remember thinking the idea of people talking on a message board was really strange.

Anywho, that's how a legend was born.

Bar, the name, was born during an alcohol filled college night somewhere between 2005-2007.

well how bout that. keldar got me into the game too :)

I first heard about the game on Gamespot I believe back in 2001. Back then I was gaming on a Mac... an iMac (those old school 1999 tube televisions ones). I was really excited to hear they were delivering a Mac Version. I loved Combat Missions Beyond Overlord (I think was the name of the game) and it looked just like it but with the added benefit of everything that moved was a 'human' and the war raged on 24 hours / 7 days a week.

I was hooked before even purchasing the game. I applied to be a Closed beta tester for Mac but didn't get selected. However, I did eventually get selected for the normal Beta. I played the ever living crap out of it when I had the chance. Remember downloading the game on a 56k modem (which took around a day and a few hours... couple of disconnect in there)

First time logging in, I ended up pairing up with 2 or 3 other random people to do a FB take down.We ran the full 15 minutes to the Turnhout FB. There I saw my first action.

One of our teammates took a shot from a PZ3 that spawned in. We hid in the 'frame rate killer' bushes. I didn't move in fear of getting the rest of my teammates killed. The tank eventually moved on and we hopped into the infantry spawn. I jumped in first only to see my First EI. Luckily, he was AFK and after missing the first two shots due to 'nervousness', I killed him. We popped the FB only to be strafed by a 109 shortly after. I despawned wounded in fear of 'experiencing' death.

Nowadays, all that stuff is ordinary but the reason I keep coming back is those 15 to 20 minutes where you heart is pounding and don't know whats going to happen. Still love it.

My first experience with WWII...

I am a landscape contractor in CA. I was awarded a residential contract and started the project.

As the crew and I were working, we heard gunshots and explosions (felt where I stood) from inside the house. I knew the sounds were from a game. As I spoke with the homeowner about the landscape project at hand, he then apologized for the loud "noise" inside the house... this sparked the WWII conversation.

Damill invited me inside his house to see what the noise was about. His home theater system was connected to his computer amplifying the game. Damill played a few sorties showing off the game - killing 11 Axis infantry in Dinant. I was intrigued. He let me play a few sorties... then I was hooked!

Until that day, I had never (nor since) played another online game. Damill and I became great friends, and played WWII OL while the crew worked. We eventually built a gaming computer for me (we called it "Blinky" due to flashing led lights on the ram lol). I finally subscribed in 2005.

Thank you CRS for an awesome game!

Despite the usual forum gripes... I am personally grateful for the enthusiasm and passion from the pb. I have never experienced anything like it. You, the pb, drive me to log on all these years (especially when I should be working on CAD and bids... shhh don't tell my wife :D ).

Now with W.B.S. and a smooth 1.35, I'm happy to see old screen names pop back into the field! Time to re-sub men... WELCOME BACK!!!! <S>

I played IL-2 and other flight sims, then some players introduced ww2ol to me at november 2003. Been playing this game on and off. I have played this game under three nicknames and this is the second iirc. The one I created at 2003 was banned forever or something like that. I do not even remember why. But they did not ban my credit card :D

I was a closed beta tester hence my April 2001 join date. Closed Beta predated that but I recall that the credentials system, or whatever it is called, went active in April so everyone who had existing accounts had to recreate them, or try. I remember before April 2001 player names had no limit, or a higher one because I, like some others, had to change my name to keep inside the 7 character limit.

I had found out about the game from a friend who had been a warbirds player. I joined CB back in December 2000 or January 2001, when I had gotten the NDA from Doc (who was much more of a behind the scenes person then, some other rats were the front men). I lost the NDA long ago but I know we're well outside the 5 year period on it. I also remember the feud, or really more of a running joke, on the old orange forums of trying to get an NDA.

I recall in the closed beta there were only a handful of towns at first. If you've ever wondered why that Dinant/Anhee/Spontin area is so crowded together compared to the rest of the map, that's why. That was the first area made and everything spread from there. I remember early on the only modeled truck was the opel and all sides used it. And because of a fluke in the coding in how it was shared by both sides anyone could ride them. So it wasn't unusual to find German opel driving in circles asking for help because a British soldier was riding in the back. I still remember my first firefight ever. I was riding in an opel and we took a shot from one of those roadside ditches. I jumped out and me and the other guy did that bolt action waltz... I lost.

I also remember them doing stress tests on the server and being so thrilled that they got 30+ people on at once and nothing went wrong.

Oh, and capping. Now we have the CP timers, before that we had the table humping, before that (launch onwards) you had to shoot the radio. Well before launch someone there had a very goofy sense of humor because they weren't radios in closed beta. They were what was known as the HMH, or the Happy Monkey Head. It was a fairly accurate description. It was a sort of cartoonish head of a smiling monkey you had to shoot to cap a CP.

On a less happy note I also remember that was the time the HQ, which was the man fansite people followed for pre-launch stuff, was brought under CRS to act as a sort of public outreach after launch but a bunch of the people involved with HQ felt they were being taken advantage of and treated like unpaid employees. They had been some of the biggest supporters and most active people in the community but some of them didn't even make it to launch because of the taste that left in their mouths. HQ languished mostly unused for quite a few years, I think until the relaunch as BGE when it was nixed.

Which also reminds me that techpubs (I think it was called?) had been started by players before launch and was a very detailed site on all sorts of arms and equipment from WWII and for quite a few years was the best site online for technical info from WWII.

And for what it's worth the first computer I played it on was a 500mhz Compaq Presario with 192MB (128+64) on RAM and no video card, just the onboard chipset.

Edited by Stu

I was in Warbirds from 94 to 2000, scored top bomber one tour, led bomber groups in scenarios and flew with the best squad in game "The Rogue Gryffons"

Ok we took second place in squad competition but we could have been the best:)

Gryf was our Co and when he went to work for playnet he brought the squad in as beta testers. Think there were 200 beta testers brought in in November of 2000.

They needed numbers for load test so there were a lot of us.

I was there the day they broke the 64 player limit, one tester was just triangles. I was also in the first infantry fight at Anhee where we had French vs Brits and Floo walked all the way from Spontin as the sneaky German.

Yeah, we had some fun. Load test we would fill Spontin Airfield with tanks, as many as could log on, when done it would be a free for all that no one would survive.

I remember MO lining us all up as infantry and then gunning us all down. No way to treat a beta tester:)

It was all very exciting and we had no idea how good it was going to get. It got very good.

So still here after 16 years, still enjoy playing, my allies in game are the greatest, my opponents are the best.

Big salute to all of you for some great gaming.

I was there for the original CRS Open house. Remember nerding out over the bullet tracking. I remember running Jeep parts to Rafter in trade for a couple awesome WWII Online shirts I still have in the closet. Thing I love about this game over other FPS is it rewards patience and tactical thinking and the community.

Some really great stories. Brings back many memories. I do not know if it is sad or not, but I have some really great memories from this community and game. Some I have never met in person, while others I have, yet some of them I consider some of my closest friends.

Lol, kind of how shilling and I became friends I guess, keep your enemies closer?

Well I was in UK and moved back to Greece to get married my wife dint want to move to UK unfortunetlly. Until then I was playing in lan games with my firends DOOM and Unreal Tournament and was playning Everquest on line.

When I move to Greece time changes couldn't rate with my guild so I decided to check other games, I always like war games especially WW2 ones, so I search the web and I saw this game and the map on the front page that really make me looked into it more.

Registered played Axis I remember at the start I didnt know what to do was wondering around, I even remember getting a 3H driving all way to FB which I had no clue of its purpose and sat there waiting for enemy to come after 30 min nothing spawned so I despaned then someone said was looking for recruits and here i am joined Dixie which was full of rednecks well and I stuck with them until my PC couldnt handle the game any more (playing with 8 fps).

When I got new PC rejoined but all 16id has gone so I decide to play a bit allied and then I found my friend CJ who we used to be in 16id together and got me in AEF man and I am having so much fun again.

Believe me this game is all about squad get in on one and the experiance of this game will go sky high. I propablly I am one of the most vocal player in game and HC hates me but I am Greek :).

June 2001. I was browsing the shelves in a game store and was immediately drawn to a box that said WWII Online. WWII military history being my passion, I HAD to have it. The guy at the counter tells me people are returning the game a lot because of issues getting it to run. I didn't care. I had to try. After hours of downloading and registering, I log in, spawn a tank, and ... nothing. Complete freeze-frame. Finally, after several minutes, I start hearing the sounds of battle going on around me, but I can't see a damn thing. Yep. It was night time and I can't see ANYTHING! Then I hear someone shooting my tank with a rifle. Next thing I know, I'm dead. I'm like... "wtf"? A rifle just killed my tank!?! I try to respawn and again I get total freez-frame. The game it totally un-playable on my weak computer. I returned the game the next day.

Fast forward to 2004. I decided to give it another go with my new computer. It works this time! I'm loving it. Running around for weeks as a lone-wolf and dying a whole hell of alot.

Then, I run into a guy named Thunder21. CO of the 101st Airborne. He chats me up and starts explaining how to stay alive. I ran with the 101st all day and joined the squad. Been here ever since.

Found the original box on a shelf in a Game Stop about 10yrs ago. Bought it for $2. Has all the original stuff. Very cool.

I remember being so excited at the concept of the game coming out. I probably heard about it via game websites.

Battlefields of this scale were unheard of. World war 2 games in general weren't even that common yet.

Having started off MMOS in Asheron's call, WW2OL promised to be the ultimate PvP experience.

I followed it before it's release and after, eager to jump in.

Unfortunately I had to hold off buying it for a year or two, because I didn't have a computer powerful enough to run it. A much greater multitude of RAM had to be acquired for that feat to be achieved.

I never suspected I would get drawn into the forums and play them more than the game itself. Which was a unique and diverse community that I;ve never see matched by another MMO game.

First joined the game in August 2005, I'd heard about the game from a friend who played it a bit when it first came out.

I was only young back then (15) I enjoyed playing in the community and getting to know people,I liked the atmosphere and the aspect of working as a team, I played until October 2006, so a little over a year.

Flash forward to July 2007 I re-subbed until Sept 2007, it wasn't a long subscription, I couldn't afford it due to college and my 12 hours a week job, so I had to unsubscribe again.

June 2008 I resubscribed again, I played until around Dec 2008. In this time I became a member of the AHC and loved it, really got into the game and spent tons of time playing it, unfortunately sometime towards the end of the year (not sure when) my PC erupted and I had nothing to play the game on and no money to buy a new computer, so I left the game for a while. P.S Sorry if I left a bit abruptly at this time, had a lot going on in life.

May 2010 I subscribed yet another time until August 2010, I didn't have the time at this point as my son was born in June 2010, I went through a lot of complications and life changed a lot.

There's been odd times I've re-subbed between then and now, checking the game's progress and seeing how people were doing.

2016 - I've now found my feet, grown up a LOT, moved into my own place, got a full time job, built a decent new computer, my sons grown up and is at school, I've got another boy on the way in September, but this time I'm stable with a woman who supports everything I do. So this time I have the stability to subscribe and stay and spare time to play, although I can't guarantee how often I can play each week, I'll do my best to get on frequently. I can honestly say it's good to be back and see the game doing well.

So to summarize, I've probably got around 2.5 years experience playing the game in total over the years and it's been nice to see it grow into what it is today, and it's good to know people still play from the time I was really into the game.

S!

Edited by gh0sty

Not one to type for hours.

I found about the game before it was released, there was some talk about it a Magazine as online gaming started to be the next new thing, we formed a Aussie squad, Anzac way before the game was released, practiced with the old delta force game as a squad and waited to release, I took the week off work as annual leave when the game arrived.

I live Adelaide, Australia. Another local called 'Burbank' somehow knew 'Killer' (original RAT) from some earlier online game (warbirds played in wireframe limited graphics) from between Aus and USA via some university. Anyway 'Killer' sent 'Burbank an ALPFA version of the game (yep before even BETA), I invite this guy over, no idea who he is, load the alpha version, walk around as german in this massive blank green canvas with the odd tree here or there...What was fascinating was his discussions with KILLER that he had about aircraft carries being manned by players, using a pager to get a call to get in game at critical times, the vision was there 20yrs ago by the sound of it.

Finished the session and deleted the game, as he promised Killer he would show anyone, 17 yrs later, you all know now.

salute - Gripfast

Edited by gripfast

Day 1 player with my two sons my game name was Wildwing, Magww and Magwing. I still have the original CD and game package. I remember getting into the game for a few seconds and saw a little action and it was the most amazing thing we ever saw. The hardest part was waiting to get into the server and crashing out! We played Allied with a British group called BKB. (Black Knight Brigade)This game illiterately forced me to learn how to build computers! I built a few to keep us in the game for several years. I remember our cheer was tongs Ya bass! Cheers all!

It was May 2005, and two things happened: (1) my job gave me a laptop to bring home, and (2) I got "high speed" cable internet from Comcast. I was browsing mmorpg.com for games of interest, and I saw WWII Online. "Well", I thought, "this sounds interesting."

I took a while to download the game and finally log in. Once I did, I spawned somewhere and walked around for 20 minutes until I got shot by someone. I got pissed, re-spawned, walked around some more, and died again.

11 years later, I'm still doing the same thing.

Sub'd 6.10.2001

I was an Air Warrior player for 3-4 years. Chawks.

Everyone was talking about wwiiol. How it as Airwarrior with tanks and infantry play. I was stoked. A fanboy. I loved the game even though it was a POS. I built one new computer after another to try and get the best game performance possible. Remember when DDR came out? Oowww ahhhh Double data rate? Get more RAM they said. Soon they said.

I play the Delta in 1999.

Later, the game has been looking for MMOFPS type

Ten years later, I found the "Europe Battleground" of the Chinese server

Find this is the most suitable for my game, and I love the most

Five years, I put a lot of time, experience and feelings in this game,

I set up the best team, we pursue the team honor, cooperation, cooperation

Later I turned to the United States server,

In one year, I found that even if the language is not, but through the tactical action we can be a tacit understanding, so I stayed.

Now I am enjoying the fun of the game, thank you.

Because I love the "Europe Battleground" I will be committed to the Chinese players in the promotion and promotion