gnpatton

What's the story on CRS / WWIIOL resurrection?

51 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Day 0 player here. I dropped out for a while back in 2012. I always thought that CRS was dying a slow death since major updates stopped for a long time.

Now we have this big marketing push, new updates, new devs and new leadership. So what happened?

I'm super curious because I used to follow CRS very closely. Did KILLER sell CRS? Who bought it?

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

In very short:

DOC and GHOPUR left the building on April 2015, more less. XOOM took the reins.

Since there, a good % of the game staff is volunteering (former players) and doing lots of things quite well. Sometimes, the profesional part of that staff has been funded directly by the playerbase and the community.

Basically the game is almost 100% funded by us, the gamers.

Lots of patches during the last year. Some of them for adding little changes (audios, pistols for snipers, new camo for some tanks or atgs etc etc), some of them for improving tecnical and network stuff, and the last ones have added new infantry weapons (FG42, Sten, Grease gun, MP34, Mas40 rifle, G41...).

All of this, and marketing efforts, and CRS buying new tools and software licenses for their own work and organization etc etc, have been, as I said, almost completely funded by community via Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns.

Yeah, we are crowdfunding it. As simple as that.

I think CRS have improved on hearing the community and on its own transparency. Now it seems that they do have a plan (you can like it more or less, that could be debatable, but at least they have a path to go and they have earned respect for that) and at the moment they are doing what they promised. They seem ready and able to review lots of game areas.

Next step should be clean up this v.1.35 in the best way they can and get it ready for launching the game on Steam and try to drag a good amount of players and, potencially, suscribers.

If you left in 2012, well, you have been basically far from here during its deepest point. We had 3 years of absolutely nothing at all. The old team just worried about keep the game online with lots of obstacles. No patches. Nothing at all.

I am not sure if they could not move a finger or the didn't want to. That's a different debate. Im just droping the fact.

So now we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, and, honestly, we are still rubbing our eyes.

Edited by erasmo

Brand new team under the leadership of XOOM. 90% of us are from the game community and are all volunteers.

In the last year we have accomplished what most told us wasn't possible.

• We released Several patches for the 1.34 code base.
  • Including new weapons and some texture updates
  • We released the 1.35 code base
  • We are releasing 1.35.2 today
  • We have rebuilt and updated the backend systems and infrastructure for improvement and stability.
  • We are actively developing new content and continuing to fix bugs in the 1.35 code base.
  • We have brought back Gazette, webmap, wiretap, stats

We have create the following new teams:

Quality Assurance Team

- We test every build before release to minimize bad patches

- We take reports from game, test and send to devs to be fixed

- We actively look for exploitable areas and send to devs to be fixed

Community Dev Team

- Are continuously updating the stats page

- Brought gazette online

- Maintain the following services (Stats, gazette, webmap, etc)

Marketing Team

- Volunteers to help market the game

We are continuously working on our supporting infrastructure to provide a better experience. This might be done by updating underlying hardware or operating systems or software.

We are more transparent with Weekly Friday updates and Community updates.

We are holding RAT Chats to brief the community.

As you can see we are committed to making things better around here! We know we have room to improve yet but strive to give you guys the best experience we can and will continue to do so with the awesome support you guys give.'

O yeah and we brought on a new support center and have dramatically reduced missed tickets and reply times (support.playnet.com)

Hope you stick around as its just starting to hit full swing!

Who owns WWIIOL / playnet? Did ownership change hands?

MAYPOL (who co-founded the company) remains the President & CEO. KILLER left the company in mid-2012 after our final investor pulled out. His intent on departure was to help salvage the jobs of others.

The game has been 100% community funded since that time. Your subscription matters more than ever.

It doesn't really matter at this point who owns it, it's finally viable once again.

There was a long period where none of us knew if it would even exist any more.

Sad face... We all chipped in; some with money, others with time and skill.

So far, so good. At least we have a lot less offset lag now, and they're working on other bugs.

a Steam launch should provide an influx of much needed funding.

Xoom very quickly sought the hot bed of talent that was playing the game. The game is community funded and developed now. Frankly, I posted many times that Xoom would make this happen. Xoom has some of the fundamental requirements of leadership but he also understands the community perspective. The game will never thrive again, let's face the fact that it's 15 years old. That doesn't mean it can't improve aND won't be around for many years.

Welcome back?

wow day 0 player?

he played the game in his head before the game existed just wow

pre-release beta :)

This is one hell of an awesome thread.

You guys can count on me as a sustained monthly Hero Builder.

The entire team is spread out across the world!

And with 1.35 the team is able to test changes to the game on their own PC locally, while before this had to be done at the CRS office.

Would be good to share a story on how that changed the development process when you guys have time.

And with 1.35 the team is able to test changes to the game on their own PC locally, while before this had to be done at the CRS office.

Would be good to share a story on how that changed the development process when you guys have time.

Would love to hear it!

I still think fighting on at this stage is crazy but the only viable path is open development and good relations with the community..

WW2ol at this stage only exists because of the fanatic community, still much has to be fixed both on PR and Development hope the game can get good and progress keeps moving faster.

I'm getting another pre-paid 1 year plan this june.

This game is worth your investment, simply because there is nothing else like it out there.

We have create the following new teams:

Quality Assurance Team

- We test every build before release to minimize bad patches

Like the one where it deletes your hard drive?

[Check your inbox]-- Mod

Edited by GVONPAUL

Holy Crap! GP! You still live in Bend?

haha I never lived in Bend =)

Currently in San Francisco working at a mobile game company.

BTW hi ammodog!

I'm getting another pre-paid 1 year plan this june.

This game is worth your investment, simply because there is nothing else like it out there.

QFT! I kept three active accounts even though I went through a period where I would not log in for months at a time (life was busy) simply to try and help keep this game alive. I have been playing about once a week now for months and am loving it. Money well spent!

The Rats are doing a fantastic job and the game really looks like it has a future where as 2 years ago it looked like it was on life support.

who said Crowdfunding can't take it amazing places?

consider the tens of millions raised by Star Citizen

WWIIOL 2.0