• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New job posting.   02/23/2019

The Community Management team is looking for war correspondents to provide news stories or after action reports to be published on our website and our Steam forums.  Player correspondents imbedded with a squad is fine along with reporters overall who might want to produce stories about the campaign, a piece of equipment, a battle or a skirmish - all stories are encouraged and welcome.  If intertested in a volunteer war correspondent position apply at Tman@corneredrats.com
samson

Air unit visibilty

9 posts in this topic

The old disappearing air contacts has reared it's head again since the WBS campaign started due to the fantastic influx of players (nice job CRS!).

Is there any way to prioritise how contacts are rendered to different units? Last night in Andenne was so busy that as a CMLE 38 I was seeing air blink in and out but dozens of friendly ground units I didn't really need to see. Every time an enemy air unit showed, 3 seconds later it blinked out.

I don't remember a game setting that can do this, so is there any way that CRS could decrease the amount of friendly ground units shown and increase air units if you're in a AA gun?

I do vaguely remember something about this years ago, but wondered if anything had changed with the code updates that might make it feasible. If not, it's definitely something that should be kept in mind for WWIIOL 2.0.

I know this depends on how many of the returning players stay, but imagine how frustrating this could be for a new player trying out an AA gun, could be a make or break moment when the Steam client gets released.

I know, in the grand scheme of things it's not that important, less than keeping the current population as high as it is now, but was just curious!

MAN, this was a problem, over the weekend!

Both when I was using LMGs and AA guns, I watched air targets show up already with red circles, appearing out of nowhere, then suddenly disappearing, "blinking off" as I was lining up my shots. It was crazy and frustrating as Hell.

Just my $.02...

-Irish

The vis list is meant to prioritise what you see so you see more of the most appropriate targets.

So if you are flying 85% or more of who you see should be air targets with priority to EA. The rest is then a mix of friendly & enemy ground units.

We have been thinking that this hasn't been working correctly for a long time, and this recent influx in numbers is showing that to be correct. Certainly needs looking at.

The other day i was in a bofor a stukas did a pass and all of the sudden disaperead then 500m of me appeared again he turn and then diapeared again.

was strange but maybe due to the heavy ground fightings the planes were lower priority.

The vis list is meant to prioritise what you see so you see more of the most appropriate targets.

So if you are flying 85% or more of who you see should be air targets with priority to EA. The rest is then a mix of friendly & enemy ground units.

We have been thinking that this hasn't been working correctly for a long time, and this recent influx in numbers is showing that to be correct. Certainly needs looking at.

Yeah, I'd not seen it in a very long time, I vaguely remembered it is supposed to prioritise as you said, but don't know if that ever applied to AA ground units.

Think this has been since 1.3 when they replace the infantry soldiers after that it has never been the same going AA.

What this also means is that ingame even if you are inside a room with no windows or view towards the outside every model is being drawn something that doesn't happen in most other multiplayer games that support a lot of units.

I know this needs fixing but just fyi the guns 1k+ outside town don't have this issue as hardly any ground units in area :)

Helps in the short term

Maybe they can use the same parameters for AA guns as planes so that when you spawn an AA gun, your visibility limit is more geared toward the sky, like the planes'.

I know this needs fixing but just fyi the guns 1k+ outside town don't have this issue as hardly any ground units in area :)

Helps in the short term

When it happened to me, I was at a FB, well away from town.

BTW, LMGs need to see air units too. I routinely get hits on aircraft when I'm spawned in with one. Even got a kill, over the weekend.

-Irish