pikapawz

Tanks tanks tanks

68 posts in this topic

that's why I liked flying.....:cool:

Isn't the same thing done in the air? Seek to change the terms of engagement?

No, I'm talking about the essence of war, bending the enemy to your will and controlling the terms of the engagement.

this isn't war, its a game. games are meant to entertain. google shadowbane, it too was totally hardcorp and allowed all manner of bending your opponent (over) to your will.

it's long gone. it's spiritual successor, darkfall, never really got off the ground. it's new spiritual successor crowfall has a better chance but only because they removed much of the griefing that was allowed to happen. meaning, after making a hardcorp pvp game for hardcorp pvpers and seeing how bad that can be, they decided to not cross certain lines.

That's not coping. That IS the game.

and look at the throngs of people willing to play it.

Dumbing it down? Making it mostly a shooter? What does design for a large audience mean?

many things, i don't profess to know exactly. i do know you cannot allow for certain things to occur though or your own player base will cannibalize itself. look at every 'hardcorp' pvp anything, they have no population or died off years ago.

You're not thinking I'm a Rat are you?

really? after all the sheep we shared? i know and respect your ability but your opinions on gameplay are very DOC like. You're not wrong, but you don't get that this game will never grow if it remains a hardcorp game for hardcorp players - at all costs.

it just won't.

Let's hear it then. Easy to make demands from the back seat, not so much make the roadmap, much less the roads.

most of the suggestions i've made over the years were largely ignored by all previous CRS dev teams. Xoom's inbox has a very long document encompassing lots of various ideas i've had over the years. He may ignore them all too, idk. Like i said i dont profess to have 'the' answer, just a lot of ideas that i feel may produce a better game, or they may suck. They're in the hands of the one person who can make use of them though.

The game is not designed for moneymaking

i'd hope the current dev team feels differently. what i'm seeing is good work, they deserve to get paid handsomely. also, someone need sto buy servers so the game can grow. also, someone needs to pay for bandwidth, power, etc.
and is likely never going to have the numbers fantasy games pull.
why? this game has the potential to reach a ... hmm positive feedback critical mass.

the game world would be absolutely electric with 50K people online at any given time. plenty of technical hurdles sure, but forget that for a second and just imagine that. Enough people to actually play out the battle of Kursk. Enough people to actually have a mid air fight with thousands ... of people popping in and out lol. huge technical hurdles that may not be possible for ... well until a major rendering and gpu breakthrough occur so let's instead try and visualize that with the game's current limitations.

50K people online would be 195.3 AOs each with 256 people ... in theory.

we've never reached that summit so it isn't fair to say this game couldn't do it.

But this is a game where morale matters, a lot.

papers have been written on this subject and why it's bad for your game. you NEVER want to see the OP, ever. Someone is about to cancel their sub and bad mouth you on the way out all over the internet.

this game has lots of TERRIBLE design decisions that lead to players unsubbing ... and bad mouthing the game on the way out ... all over the internet ... look at anyplace this game is rated. only the hardcorp die hards give it anything more than 2 stars.

when you have more 1s than 3s and all the votes are polarized you've got a big ****ing problem if you're trying to market the game.

none of that is this team's fault but they are dealing with the fallout. i could be wrong but i dont see them greatly increasing the game's population without re-evaluating exactly what they want the game to be. cause the old team's vision shat the bed. Sorry, love those guys in my own way but they shat the bed.

The Flak18 L/56 is the 88 ATG, the Kwk36 L/56 is the Tiger I, the L/71 is the Tiger II gun.

Err.. what?

The game itself names its version of the 88 the "FlaK36", so it's pretty clear that it's not the earlier FlaK18 that's modeled here.

If both are using the same ammo, the FlaK36 and the Tiger I's KwK36 are basically the same gun and should have comparable performance.

The KwK 36 (abbreviation of Kampfwagenkanone 36) was a tank gun developed and built by Krupp in parallel to the Flak 36, with which it shared ammunition and ballistics. It was the main armament of the Tiger I heavy tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_Flak_18/36/37/41#Related_developments

While certainly a continuation of the FlaK36-family, the King Tiger's /L71 is a much newer design and hasn't got that much to do with the Flak36. Besides: It's (sadly) not available in-game, anyway.

S.

My 2 cents

in my opinion, the problem is the symmetrical balance son of the old politics of the Old development team.

This game has been designed and built on completely different preconceptions.

keep in mind Once a long time ago the supply systems were totally different

when a city exhausting its supply of tanks and ATGS I should organize a tank column from the nearest town to bring reinforcements.

At this point people will think twice before wasting resources but now everything is done with a simple mouse click.

it is true people spams everything generally when a player dies respawns with the right counter and after 20 minutes all relevant classes and the resources have died.

this is frustrating, because at the end of the game the player who spams more often wins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilemall View Post

No, I'm talking about the essence of war, bending the enemy to your will and controlling the terms of the engagement.

this isn't war, its a game. games are meant to entertain. google shadowbane, it too was totally hardcorp and allowed all manner of bending your opponent (over) to your will.

it's long gone. it's spiritual successor, darkfall, never really got off the ground. it's new spiritual successor crowfall has a better chance but only because they removed much of the griefing that was allowed to happen. meaning, after making a hardcorp pvp game for hardcorp pvpers and seeing how bad that can be, they decided to not cross certain lines.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are saying that this game will follow the demise of the two games you've mentioned when this one is still going after 15 years.

I would like to see infantry flags have 75% fewer tanks and cut the armored flags down by half.

There are indeed too many damned tanks running around, regardless of the OP.

I would perhaps feel the same since the number of times I spawned a tank is something close to 0, but note that you are trying to kick out people that drive tanks almost exclusively from the game. This is a very different game for different people. For instance, I don't fly exclusively but I'm mostly a pilot. Ground-pounders love to say that planes don't cap and make fun of the other side's pilots, but for many pilots, there is no ground game. Many have no idea about what weapons there are on the ground, how to capture a spawn point, or which way the map is moving at the moment.

Sounds like you where attacking with a brigade that had some supplies missing, same with Allies, but then Allies brought a Brigade from the back and resupplied hence the Allies spawning Tanks, that's what usually happens when new supply comes in...

you need to learn all aspects of this game before you cry out in the forums...

you need to learn all aspects of this game before you cry out in the forums...

You should be removed from HC for this comment. You're a terrible ambassador.

read that again. now, picture a brand new player who has a circle of 10 friends that play games together. your comment just cost CRS at least 4.99 a month as well as $50 a month in opportunity costs. On the high end you just cost them 15.99 and 159.90 in opportunity costs.

great job.

read that again. now, picture a brand new player who has a circle of 10 friends that play games together. your comment just cost CRS at least 4.99 a month as well as $50 a month in opportunity costs. On the high end you just cost them 15.99 and 159.90 in opportunity costs.

great job.

You should shop at walmart.

great job.

ZzZzzZzZ

Err.. what?

The game itself names its version of the 88 the "FlaK36", so it's pretty clear that it's not the earlier FlaK18 that's modeled here.

If both are using the same ammo, the FlaK36 and the Tiger I's KwK36 are basically the same gun and should have comparable performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_Flak_18/36/37/41#Related_developments

While certainly a continuation of the FlaK36-family, the King Tiger's /L71 is a much newer design and hasn't got that much to do with the Flak36. Besides: It's (sadly) not available in-game, anyway.

S.

Yes Axis get the Flak 18 not the Flak 36 although it is named the Flak 36 that was nerfed along with its armour shield.

ZzZzzZzZ

also a problem. the remaining players of this game are disconnected from reality as they've been playing this game with it's tiny community for far too long. many of you would get your ass handed to you in any other game because you've been playing against the same skill curve for so long - a skill curve that has had most of the high skill players bail on the game a long time ago so you're stuck in a circle jerk with other BAD players.

none of you actually want a big healthy game population out of fear, fear that you'll no longer be the biggest fish in the mud puddle.

i would LOVE to see 10K 13 year olds descend upon the tired jaded veterans of this game - show you old foggies how bad you really are at games and watch as you desperately try to nerf something so your ego can handle the defeats.

also a problem. the remaining players of this game are disconnected from reality as they've been playing this game with it's tiny community for far too long. many of you would get your ass handed to you in any other game because you've been playing against the same skill curve for so long - a skill curve that has had most of the high skill players bail on the game a long time ago so you're stuck in a circle jerk with other BAD players.

none of you actually want a big healthy game population out of fear, fear that you'll no longer be the biggest fish in the mud puddle.

i would LOVE to see 10K 13 year olds descend upon the tired jaded veterans of this game - show you old foggies how bad you really are at games and watch as you desperately try to nerf something so your ego can handle the defeats.

LOOOOL

oh, wow.

I'm a bit confused as to why you are saying that this game will follow the demise of the two games you've mentioned when this one is still going after 15 years.

open for business and healthy aren't the same thing. this game hasn't had a healthy population since the introduction of TOEs. Add in the castration of the air game and I gauruntee you there was a large initial drop followed by a continued gradual decline of subscription numbers.

i'm sure there were a few up ticks along the way, hopefully we're seeing one now.

Are you really suggesting the population at the moment and for the past X years since the aforementioned has been healthy? this game has been dead since forever.

this new team apparently has a Lazarus chamber though, so hopefully we can get a good strong pulse again.

Happy thoughts going out to you noobs

oqH-Q0Zytm0

don't think I won't let silky know about this!

disgusting padder

I would lol @rebel357 being chased by 10k 13 yr olds

Man, if you really want to get your point across, not coming off like a judgmental know-it-all would help a ton.

Guys, I just want to hop in here and respond to the individuals saying I am new or need to learn more about the game: Please took a look at my sign up date. I have been in this game on and off for years since 2005, either through this account, or through numerous trial accounts once they tried to lock individuals into year long subs. (I have never played ANY MMO unbroken for 1 year so I'm not going to commit to that.)

I was also a Bronze level builder and I am back for this returning veteran event. I am not a beginner, I know how the game works and how it plays, I understand the tactics and moving supply. I very much remember the days of hitching 10 AT Guns to the back of a truck and racing through gun fire to dump them into another city. I remember when MS were new and you spawned inside the truck itself, not these radio boxes.

I also want to stress that I was able to bring these friends in because we're familiar with this vein of game. We play a LOT of ArmA (Mostly Co-Op running ACE) and we're more than comfortable with vehicles and aircraft (Heavy DCS players came along for the airsim stuff too.) So it's not like we were overwhelmed with the difficulty curve or the way the game works.

I'll restate my point: We had fun with most infantry fights. Lots of of the Four Fs going on, nice dynamic engagements, heavy use of tactics and building clearing (Though I would kill for a medic class to be in the game already.) And then as soon as we capped a point, there would suddenly be no infantry and instead 5+ tanks\armored cars spawned in. One would camp around the city, the rest would all rush out toward the MS and then camp it. Not destroy it mind, camp it. That is what made most of my friends quit. Essentially invincible machine guns just waiting for you to spawn and making the game no fun for the enemy. This happened at every engagement we had over a 24 hour period.

This post was originally made out of frustration, frustration over a number of things that have been outlined above I think. There are two of us left now. Both of us old veterans from the mid 2000s. Everyone else is done due to being spawn camped and feeling utterly, utterly useless unless they are also in a tank or in the air.

Sorry guys. I just wanted to get this out there. To give some feed back as a returning player trying to herd a bunch of cats and our observations and frustrations. And honestly everything I think can be summed up in the title.

Since there seems to be some engagment here, here are a few extra questions: Why are MS spawns STILL not randomised around the point so you can at least try and defend it? Instead everyone spawns in literally the exact same spot. Why are tanks STILL able to bring that much fire-power out with a single person? This argument has been around for years mind, or it was back in the day. I would understand if it needed a crew. Why does the sapper only tote a pistol. I can't think of one good balancing reason for this other than to make his life even harder?

After the no Infantry Placed Frus camping increase by 100% and tanks reign like I hadn't seen for years, self-organized successful attacks reduced to 0(meaning 1-2 players set an attack not planed and it grows), good frus are rare and easily camped.

I personally have no patience and no time to drive a FRU that are placed only by Trucks too easy to spot to easy to kill you are forced to park km away to be safe which just wastes you time.

A much better solution would be making dozens of new brigades with smaller supply called "Assault groups" 30 ish spawns in total they would be attrited fast so a new FRUs wouldn't be popping everywhere for hours, it would increase the battefield activity due to trucks being driven from new brigades(this would look good but also increase the chance of tows and infantry pick ups), new HC players would have a chance to make mistakes and learn from them since there would be more brigades and individually they would not have an significant impact while allowing more dynamic movements on the map and finally you would retain all pros of infantry frus, flexibility, stronger and shorter range respawns, ability to break camps easily.... !!! :cool:

Edited by pbveteran

Man, if you really want to get your point across, not coming off like a judgmental know-it-all would help a ton.

you could respond with a salient counter point too - or keep responding as you are, confirming my argument.

Hi pika, welcome back.

One of the things to realize about camping is that it is an intentional design feature in WWIIOL. So the key here is that we have to cope with camping.

If your spawn is completely camped, stop spawning in that mission. It should only take a few deaths at most to figure this out. For the most part, complete camps are pretty rare except at the very end of some major battles, or the occasional spawn CP that is out in the open somewhere with no nearby building cover.

Using smoke is another great way to create lanes of escape from various spawn points.

Why are MS spawns STILL not randomized around the point so you can at least try and defend it? Instead everyone spawns in literally the exact same spot.

This is a great question/suggestion!

Why are tanks STILL able to bring that much fire-power out with a single person? This argument has been around for years mind, or it was back in the day. I would understand if it needed a crew.

If you've played Arma then you know how much damage just one person in something like a Tusk or even a Bradley can do to a large group of infantry that is lacking AT support. In both games, tanks can perform better when crewed but both are still very deadly when crewed solo.

Why does the sapper only tote a pistol? I can't think of one good balancing reason for this other than to make his life even harder.

I think this falls into the combined arms concept. If you had a class that was just as good at killing infantry as SMGs/LMGs etc. but also contained AT power, then everyone would spawn that kit even faster than the zooks/schrecks are depleted now.

By not making a jack-of-all-trades infantry class, the game forces you to make a tactical decision each time you spawn in simply because all the classes are interdependent and none are self-sufficient.