bigrow

New town layouts?

14 posts in this topic

I was under the impression all the work DOC had done to extend/redesign many of the towns was due to be in 1.35.

Maybe I missed it, but the few towns I've had a chance to fight in look the same.

The old team warned very much against doing anything with terrain. I remember it was a pain back in 2005, and I bet it has not been patched to bring it up to today. Seems like it was point and click, but you had to go in and manually edit several lines of code per item if not hundreds. While the towns were completed by Doc, if something goes wrong on the update putting them in, no one has the knowledge to fix it and get the game back online quickly.

The terrain is something that the team wants to learn how it works and do it. The new team has come a very long way over a short period of time. Remember not too long ago they had no idea on how to put new infantry weapons into the game, and they figured it out. So while it may not be today, I am sure it is something we will see the team tackle.

The old team warned very much against doing anything with terrain. I remember it was a pain back in 2005, and I bet it has not been patched to bring it up to today. Seems like it was point and click, but you had to go in and manually edit several lines of code per item if not hundreds. While the towns were completed by Doc, if something goes wrong on the update putting them in, no one has the knowledge to fix it and get the game back online quickly.

The terrain is something that the team wants to learn how it works and do it. The new team has come a very long way over a short period of time. Remember not too long ago they had no idea on how to put new infantry weapons into the game, and they figured it out. So while it may not be today, I am sure it is something we will see the team tackle.

Well you wouldn't even need to alter the terrain tiles to dramatically affect gameplay.

Let's say you moved the depot capture points at least 50m from the depot spawn buildings, and the depots themselves moved at least 500m from the army bases and kept everything else the same. That right there would change so many things about ease of attacking, ease of defending, brigade rotation etc. The game is nothing but in-town battles, and towns are so scrunched together that there's literally no room for tactics most of the time.

Well you wouldn't even need to alter the terrain tiles to dramatically affect gameplay.

Let's say you moved the depot capture points at least 50m from the depot spawn buildings, and the depots themselves moved at least 500m from the army bases and kept everything else the same. That right there would change so many things about ease of attacking, ease of defending, brigade rotation etc. The game is nothing but in-town battles, and towns are so scrunched together that there's literally no room for tactics most of the time.

moving every single building in game (and any objects the new building locations would collide with) would constitute dramatically altering the terrain IMO.

So the work is lost?

Not what I said, I said that his work was not put in due to the possibility that it could cause everything to explode. Since none of the team have experience with the complicated system that builds the terrain, chances are that it could of been down for hours, days, or weeks since it is an area of the game the new team has not messed with yet.

As for the suggest to move CPs, it is the same. Everything in the game that is terrain we can not do anything with at this time. This includes trees, bushes, FBs, buildings, and all other terrain objects. We have no ETA on when the team will get to the terrain.

how about fixing ai pit that have no ai soldier? is it also impossible atm due to terrain problem?

Continue to .report locations like this, along with trees in buildings, or other faults with buildings on terrain. We are entering the issues into our ticket tracking system. As we get to it we will fix those issues as we get into terrain issues.

Not sure if the AI Pit is terrain issue or not, but if you report it we will put it in the system and the team goes through and fixes what they can.

What helps is the GPS location and a description of what is wrong.

Continue to .report locations like this, along with trees in buildings, or other faults with buildings on terrain. We are entering the issues into our ticket tracking system. As we get to it we will fix those issues as we get into terrain issues.

Not sure if the AI Pit is terrain issue or not, but if you report it we will put it in the system and the team goes through and fixes what they can.

What helps is the GPS location and a description of what is wrong.

Oh good, I have been .reporting with gps locations with faulty ai pits. I wasn't sure if GPS coordinates are entered automatically with .reports.

268f57809f72012f2fe600163e41dd5b

Oh good, I have been .reporting with gps locations with faulty ai pits. I wasn't sure if GPS coordinates are entered automatically with .reports.

They are, but I have found they may be lagging :-)