• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
cooperhawk

Town Based Supply

39 posts in this topic

If you remember back in the early days in the games Development the allies were aligned in such a way that the British were north of the Meuse river and the french were south.

This presented a problem because the game was Coded in such way that the two couldn't cross over. Another problem at that time was something called "area of operation" so you stayed in your area of operation which was north or south of the Meuse river

In Addition, allied players became attached to their flag, squad, and equipment and never worked together on the map. french would not go north and Brit players would not go south and it seemed as if they didn't even like each other (In most cases).

So, if we bring back town based supply, the flags have to be mixed up or stacked together in a town, Americans, french, Brits together, that's what TOES did for the allies in that they started working together as apposed to being divided and attacked as a divided player base.

I would like to hear CRS comment on this matter.

Please dont introduce the fallback it was a stupid thing.

Well if you do, at least penalize more.

HAAC was a stupid thing giving all infantry resources to all cp but fallback had merits. Maybe state a rule that if you fallback, you can't move back flags before 30 minutes or more.

The Rat Chat was published last night and Xoom covers the town based supply along with Victarus. The link is in the other thread and in the community report.

As for HAAC and Fallback are not on the plans as of now.

Fallback is fine, HAAC is terrible.

The town based supply does have me wondering though. If only frontline and adjacent towns have supply, axis will have no deep water ports at game start. As both Helle and Den will not be adjacent or frontline. (Kiel is not deep water - though should be)

Same for Airfields, not sure axis has any AF that is frontline or adjacent at map start.

So, axis will have no LW or KM? I'm curious how this will work.

Also, what kind of flags will be in what towns? Will Kamperland have both a Heer and KM flag? or just Heer, or just KM? What about AF towns? What about towns with an AF and port?

Edited by delems

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure those commands (HAAC & FALLBACK) were for the Brigade system that we have now?

Fallback is fine, HAAC is terrible.

The town based supply does have me wondering though. If only frontline and adjacent towns have supply, axis will have no deep water ports at game start. As both Helle and Den will not be adjacent or frontline. (Kiel is not deep water - though should be)

Same for Airfields, not sure axis has any AF that is frontline or adjacent at map start.

So, axis will have no LW or KM? I'm curious how this will work.

Also, what kind of flags will be in what towns? Will Kamperland have both a Heer and KM flag? or just Heer, or just KM? What about AF towns? What about towns with an AF and port?

Im sure it will be all sorted out out somehow. Too early still to talk about in depth Im sure

If you remember back in the early days in the games Development the allies were aligned in such a way that the British were north of the Meuse river and the french were south.

I wished there was a new term for town based supply, as that just makes me cringe with all the bad memories that came with it. So many issues were with the old way and I am thankful that we are not going back to those days. Just thinking about it and the issues brings my blood to a boil.

Back to happy thoughts!

The way it will work is much like how it works in the game today. The divide will not be coming back.

Town based supply was simply horrible. Why would anyone want that back?

Oh, that's right, because fifteen years ago their squad still had a hundred people in it and dominated the map at a specific time of the day/week that was their "squad day" and somehow, despite everything else that's changed since then, this one feature - going from town supply to TOE - was the one thing that "totally broke the game," which is just their personal code-phrase for "My personal squad no longer has a hundred people in it wah!"

And in their minds they honestly believe that somehow if they went back to town based supply then all of their quad buddies who've long since then married, moved on, got bored with the game, got old, died, had kids, stopped caring, etc would all just magically reappear all at once, rejoin their personal squads so that they can have their magical, map dominating squad night back and that, that one thing alone is the only thing that can possibly save the entire game from oblivion.

Or you could just, I dunno, recruit new players.

Town based supply was simply horrible. Why would anyone want that back?

Oh, that's right, because fifteen years ago their squad still had a hundred people in it and dominated the map at a specific time of the day/week that was their "squad day" and somehow, despite everything else that's changed since then, this one feature - going from town supply to TOE - was the one thing that "totally broke the game," which is just their personal code-phrase for "My personal squad no longer has a hundred people in it wah!"

And in their minds they honestly believe that somehow if they went back to town based supply then all of their quad buddies who've long since then married, moved on, got bored with the game, got old, died, had kids, stopped caring, etc would all just magically reappear all at once, rejoin their personal squads so that they can have their magical, map dominating squad night back and that, that one thing alone is the only thing that can possibly save the entire game from oblivion.

Or you could just, I dunno, recruit new players.

Haha good post :D

I wished there was a new term for town based supply, as that just makes me cringe with all the bad memories that came with it. So many issues were with the old way and I am thankful that we are not going back to those days. Just thinking about it and the issues brings my blood to a boil.

Back to happy thoughts!

The way it will work is much like how it works in the game today. The divide will not be coming back.

Oh you mean something like - FRONTLINE BASED SUPPLY? FLBS?

Although I like TOEs and Brigades and talk of town based supply seems like going backwards to me I also acknowledge that there are real issues with TOEs and Brigades, there were also benefits for town based supply. I suppose I am no longer 100% sure which one is better.

Hence I would like to keep an open mind and see what ideas the Rats can come up with because it does not simply need to be blindly heading back to what we had or stick blindly to what we have.

Is the worst idea ever it means going back to AB camped to death with rifles manning the parapet until supply is at zero for a town to fall.

I do like the idea of garrison supply in empty towns. Like a local militia or volksgrenadier.

Bring back HAAC and overrun and Fallback these added excitement and dynamism to the map.

Long live ToEs HC and the strategic layer!

Edited by actonman

Every kill counts, no more unlimited supplies pilling and JWBS warping, more power to squad and squad leaders, less HC burnout, looking forward for a great improvement! ;)

Going back to town supply has its pro and cons but in the long run it removes the MOIC and flag moving and shuffling and all the other nonsense that took away the gameplay of the officers running the map. officers should be on the battlefield not pixel moving. Doing both was just not fun.

I am not sure if MOIC will ever go away to be honest. On the allied side it was developed the 2nd day the game was out to watch for contested towns across the map and to call for help where man power was required. Today the MOIC serves the same purpose. The Blue Chat town is under attack warnings along with the EWS all were to eliminate the MOIC from watching the map. Today the MOIC calls for help to uncontest a town and begs for players to help, back then they did the same.

Even uncontesting or attacking a larger town like Antwerp, it is usually done by someone watching the map and calling out targets as they change, and giving guidance to which CPs to take back or attack at a time.

Reminds me of the videos you see of the commanders in Real life looking at the maps on the glass wall where people mark where troops are and make changes as needed. Which today it is all computerized I guess, but the MOIC has always reminded me of that scene from most war movies and also documentaries.

Edited by BADGER

The company doesn't really have a choice, with the brigade system every time there isn't enough HC or enough experienced HC on a team they have to substitute in their own personnel. AOs can be set automatically by an algorithm but if a flag isn't rotated or moved properly it will cause a catastrophe.

Town supply was a system that ran by itself. Brigades require constant supervision and intervention and while this was actually viewed as a positive aspect in the past, like almost everything else thought to improve and strengthen the game it didn't. When you have to wake employees up at odd hours not because of a critical hardware/software failure but because the little generals in one of the game factions logged off then you need a new system.

Having Mentioned some of the bad things about Town based Supply in the past. they Just need to make sure they don't make the same mistakes the previous team made because AO's and EWS should keep things in check.

I think they are right in saying the HC game puts to much on the few that are doing it. Those guys can still lead, but without making it seem like a job.

So for me, although Toes/Flags are just really cool to see move around

I does put too much on the guys in HC. I think we're just going to have to wait and see and make adjustments from there.

I am more than a little anxious about this change. I wasn't here at the start, but i have heard stories about Squad domination and politicking. I have heard stories about players not knowing what to do when they weren't in a Squad; not because they didn't know how to play, but because their was no main assault, and they weren't sure where to put their efforts.

I worry about a loss of cohesion on the front, especially if this system were also to get rid of the HC set AO... From what I have heard, in the past, if one squad wanted to attack a town, they could, but no one else was obligated in any way to support that attack. People MIGHT join it, but it was entirely possible for each squad to attack an entirely different town, which meant that a side would never be able to count on all of its forced working together on a single objective.

I have very limited play time. I have heard people talking happily about expecting overstocked towns... I am normally a team player, but if I finally get a coupld of hours to play, and I log in and people expect me to spend my time driving vehicles from one town to another, over and over again? My response would not be a very positive one.

I really hope that the new system is some sort of combination of the town supply, to prevent softcapping, and the current brigades....I LIKE the side cohesion that we have now on attacks....AOs make sense to me.

And like some, I wonder about how Navy and air supply will function.

I trust the Rsts, but I wonder how this will go.