chyrenz

Another rant about Old Zeke!

45 posts in this topic

So there we were, forming up an epic tank column to drive into town to surround the Allied AB and break the front lines in a last ditch effort to push back....

We were around 8 tanks strong with Tigers and IVG's and quickly with infantry support got the spawn and booted the flags...it was a forgone conclusion that with this level of teamwork we would be victorious!

This battle would turn the campaign around and start the great Axis push west...

And then we heard the Havoc.....

S! Old Zeke! The allies don't know how much your one effort in this one battle possibly won the campaign.

:D

It ain't entirely the bomber, it helps if you have eagle eyes and a near godly ability to drop bombs accurately ;)

lol

... 8 tanks strong ....

:D

where, when? in which game?

paper tanks..lol

but..

Oldzeke: 1 bomb = 1 Panzer down (or more)...

i love oldezeke... :mad:

Deadly? Deadly!?!?! He single handedly repelled an entire axis column of our best tanks and saved an already bumped town!

I will find him out there someday:D

Frankly the efficiency of the good DB7 pilots is quite incredible. I've been playing this game for some time and I tried, so when I see ke3p3er, rans, or OZ bombing, I'm quite impressed. The precision it takes to get a direct hit after a direct hit, with a plane that cannot release bombs in a steep dive, is just ... inhuman.

Frankly the efficiency of the good DB7 pilots is quite incredible. I've been playing this game for some time and I tried, so when I see ke3p3er, rans, or OZ bombing, I'm quite impressed. The precision it takes to get a direct hit after a direct hit, with a plane that cannot release bombs in a steep dive, is just ... inhuman.

Or macro!

Be nice if axis had a bomber half that good.

Stuka comes to mind.

But I digress...

1. LMG... Be nice if Allies had an LMG half that good.

2. Tiger... Be nice if Allies had a tank half that good.

3. Grenadier... Be nice if Allies had one half that good.

4. K98... Be nice if Allies had sights half that good.

5. Stg44... Be nice if Allies ... uhm... had one?

best dive/level bomber in game. only hard point bombs should be that accurate not ones from a bomb bay

Yup. If level- /glide-bombers had been that effective, it would've been pretty silly for people in the 1930s to pursue the concept of dive-bombing and to start building planes around that concept (Germany wasn't the only nation that used dive-bombers).

One problem is that bombs just drop too perfectly and predictably in this game. There's no wind and the physics governing bomb-release and the actual fall seem a bit too rudimentary as well.

The 111 is pretty much pinpoint accurate in this game as well, and this is what He-111s dropping bombs from their bay actually looks like:

ibdu9wXuHPc

Stock footage showing how much the bombs "tumble" out of the bay starts around 3:40. I seem to remember that this behavior was seen as one of the major drawbacks of the 111, caused by the design which stored the bombs vertically in their bays.

I know this might be a bit of a bad example, but armed with my "glide-/dive-bomb"-abilities from WW2ONL and other older sims, I have yet to deliver a bomb on target in either the Stuka or the 109 Jabo in "Battle of Stalingrad" - whose physics seem quite a bit more advanced than what we have.

S.

Edited by sascha

Or macro!

Not required.

You only need 2 close joy buttons, I setup the front switch on a x52 throttle for my grandson expressly because Saitek macros are too sloppy and will hang you in the 2 position.

I set his up in keymapper as follows, up on switch=1positon. Down on switch=2 position but also is mapped as bomb drop trigger. So everytime he hit's down on that switch it puts him in 2 position and instantly drops a bomb. With practice you instinctively flip that switch down and up.

Works far better with the game than a macro which can and will hang on you.

As to my accuracy.... My eyes aren't so good anymore. Glaucoma plus having both retinas torn are causing me probs. If I see a target then yea pretty good chance I'll hit it eventually, may just miss with all 8 and have to rearm and try again. Rarely do I get 2 tanks in a sortie. The run in the OP was very rare indeed :)

I also had a heart attack about 2 months back, that's had me slowed down a bit too but I'm starting to come back from it.

Or macro!

Heh, I give you half a year to practice and all the macros you can think of and I'd like to see you hit a tank with every second hit with it.

Tigers and 4g's are usually simple to get, especially the Tiger, its so damn big...

Hardest is the 3H, 3F, Stug-B

And no it's not so easy to bomb tanks, requires a lot of practice, it is cool that you can stick around and try again if you miss, unlike the Axis bomber, why the Axis need the 88...

Tigers and 4g's are usually simple to get, especially the Tiger, its so damn big...

Hardest is the 3H, 3F, Stug-B

And no it's not so easy to bomb tanks, requires a lot of practice, it is cool that you can stick around and try again if you miss, unlike the Axis bomber, why the Axis need the 88...

Ju 88 would be great indeed. Not only fast, but also a very versatile airframe - so it could be used as the basis for future additions.

However... I'd rather have this for CAS.. :D

ju87g-4.jpg

S.

Edited by sascha

Crap.. how dare these websites block embedding...?

Thanks lipton.. fixed that.

S.

Edited by sascha

Ju 88 would be great indeed. Not only fast, but also a very versatile airframe - so it could be used as the basis for future additions.

However... I'd rather have this for CAS.. :D

ju87g-4.jpg

S.

Oh hell ya. I'd rather that too. It's like an H2c on Steroids. :cool:

Heh, I give you half a year to practice and all the macros you can think of and I'd like to see you hit a tank with every second hit with it.

Zeke just said thats how he does it one button to position 2 drop the bomb and back to 1. All you have to learn then is the where to line up the tank on the sight and height, not saying i could learn it over night but give me a few months and i could if i had the desire.