• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
mstacker

Yeah How do I Play this Game?

18 posts in this topic

So there's been a free month of June premium thing and I always wanted to try this game so I gave it a go, however since the training doesn't work, the chat is empty, and I don't even know how to get involved in action I beyond lost. Poking around the forums is nice and all but I can't find anything to actually help me beyond someone telling me how to get around the training bug. I ended up joining a defense mission where I heard some machine-gun fire, and then watched as someone was made mission leader, then me, then I ended up leaving after asking in chat was a Mission leader even is. Sorry if this is in the wrong forums, the help forum looked like it was meant for bugs.

So there's been a free month of June premium thing and I always wanted to try this game so I gave it a go, however since the training doesn't work, the chat is empty, and I don't even know how to get involved in action I beyond lost. Poking around the forums is nice and all but I can't find anything to actually help me beyond someone telling me how to get around the training bug. I ended up joining a defense mission where I heard some machine-gun fire, and then watched as someone was made mission leader, then me, then I ended up leaving after asking in chat was a Mission leader even is. Sorry if this is in the wrong forums, the help forum looked like it was meant for bugs.

The game has a pretty harsh learning curve but it all makes sense after a few goes. The first thing I recommend you do is find yourself a squad. Each time you change your persona\faction you should get a pop up asking you to join one on the list. I recommend you do, or if you see someone from Lancers or Blitz, give them a message with /tell <Their name> message and see if they can potentially get you in with them. These guys are your best source of info and have been around since forever.

Now when you start your persona (which I recommend you keep as Army for now), you should then be taken direct to the "Active battles" tab if not, click it on the top left, don't worry about the brigade screen at the moement. Now take a look down the list and find the one with the fullest bar, this bar is the population on that mission. I recommend you look for the defence missions as a beginner as they're a lot less troubling and far less aggravating for a new player.

From here you then want to spawn in as a rifleman, find some friendlies or squad mates and then the rest is about moving carefully and placing your shots accurately. Expect some annoyance until you acclimatise.

Use the F6 Help chat and the F3 Side chat for general help, Side lets you talk to EVERYONE on your faction. If you need to talk to your mission members direct you're best using the F2 "Target" chat as this is essentially a local broadcast to the people attacking or defending the same place as you.

Right now (As in this time of day, that is!) population is a bit light but it picks up around the evening times and more so again on the weekends. The best thing to do though, right now, is to find yourself a squad and unload your questions on to some poor guy there. They'll help you quicker and more efficiently than anyone else.

Edited by pikapawz

I'm sure you went through the tutorials offline... and they are no help.

Those only help to orient as a unit and not at all tactically.

CRS: Where is all of the training info?!?

Why are players showing up without a clue and with no easy access to learning this stuff?

There used to be training guides.

I really think this needs to be the next big project; before all other stuff like additional vehicles.

There should be an entire forum section on "How To" guides.

In it, a collection of material for the new player, such as missions, targets, rally points, mission leaders, dot commmands...

Here is the link to the Wiki page:

https://wiki.wwiionline.com/view/Main_Page

mstacker... Join a squad. That's how most people learn this game.

Someone in your squad will be happy to walk you through all the stuff.

Make sure you have TeamSpeak downloaded. It's MUCH easier to learn when you they can verbalize.

Good Luck. S!

If you've played any shooters at all, you probably have favorite keymaps. You can go into the keymapper and set the functions for the keys which are most comfortable/convenient/familar for you. That will make a world of difference.

-Irish

Join a squad. It's the best way to learn the game. When I joined in 2002 I was rather overwhelmed by the game. I joined a squad and then had many learning opportunities to practice skills in the air, ground, and navy. There is a fairly steep learning curve for this game. Best bet is to find a squad you feel comfortable with, join, and build from there. Good luck, don't give up on this game, once you get up to speed, it's one of the best MMOLRPG games ever created.

Start drinking. That always helps.

I'd say this is false, but I find once I start drinking my K/D in planes goes up tremendously and I can actually shoot things down. Never tried on the ground yet though.

Here are a bunch of links to various tutorials, video and otherwise. 'How to play the game" is a subject far too big to fit in to a forum post, but it is not as difficult as it may seem at first, especially if you join a squad and get on Teamspeak. In game there is a help channel (F6) that you can call out for help on. There are a lot of helpful people who have been here for a long time who ware more than willing to give a hand.

"Join a squad get on teamspeak"

Are not istructions for how to play this game.

There are no instructions.

The acronyms alone are mind boggling.

Edited by actonman

Join a squad. It's the best way to learn the game. When I joined in 2002 I was rather overwhelmed by the game. I joined a squad and then had many learning opportunities to practice skills in the air, ground, and navy. There is a fairly steep learning curve for this game. Best bet is to find a squad you feel comfortable with, join, and build from there. Good luck, don't give up on this game, once you get up to speed, it's one of the best MMOLRPG games ever created.

wb!

"Join a squad get on teamspeak"

The acronyms alone are mind boggling.

I disagree. The answer to every question about this game is in the forums some where. Do a forum search, or PM a Vet or a RAT and ask away.

Another option is jump on YouTube and do a search on "WWIIOL tutorial", there are a bunch of good videos there.

Getting the most out of WWIIOL is challenging because you need to understand how the game is played and how to navigate the UI. The game is played by humans on a large and open map. Humans are unpredictable and hence it can be hard to work out how to find and even better, how to make the action. Once you understand it though you are set.

Remember you have to talk on a channel hit F6 ( I think ) to talk on help. If you are hitting enter to talk that is proximity chat only.

I couldn't agree more about joining a squad (think of it like a guild in other MMO's). If you are eager to play allied, the Lancers would be pleased to take you under their wing and get you killing (and killed), often in imaginative ways. You can always elect to join another squad afterwards.

If you would like some hands on instruction in the field, please leave me a private message and we can schedule a mutually convenient appointment to get you oriented and staving off the Axis hordes. On the other hand, you may wish to join the Axis hordes, in which case I will be in the third bush from the right ready to teach you the fine art of despawning after being shot repeatedly with a light machine gun.

Eccles