Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

lausy

Waste of $$

lausy

I played 01-08 then off and on & off 10-14. Came back for this freebie June. I now remember why I left. Crap from HC. The game is more stable but the "leaders from the front" obviously never served a day. Take the fun out of the game and lead by no example. It's a game folk. Oh, and not worth the monthly payment. Same **** day in and out. Navy is basically pointless. Still no Paris. Frankly, it was more fun with the bugs in 01 without the technical BS. Personally, I would like HC if it was less large, with less bark. Close AO's in map marks that don't matter. Just not worth the 15 bucks a month to play. Love the idea, hate the result.Good luck....tried again but for the last time....

delems

Yes, partially true, but the move back to a town based system, or hybrid town/TOE system should make battles more fun, provide fights on many more areas of the map (Zees, maybe some navy action again?) and remove many of the HC issues.

As for the navy, I've given up hope too.

vasduten1

I agree that having HC around is like being a cross country runner with giant floppy bewbs.

They keep smacking you in the face, and the harder you run, the more they flop about.

You wake up in the ditch and realize they just knocked you out cold and wonder why the heck they are there in the first place.

Garrisoned supply will help immensely, and will indeed make the Zees more fun again.

I hate having HC newbs ruin everyone's fun by trashing brigades to nothing and getting them cut off and sent to "training", and then starting the downward slide that is a map roll.

Then, when you need them the most, they're not on and the other side's HC weenies softcap to a cut and victory. Bullcrap.

chyrenz

Its easy to complain about HC, and a lot harder to BE HC. Those of us that have tried it in one capacity or another respect those that devote their energy to it.

S!

Sudden
Its easy to complain about HC, and a lot harder to BE HC. Those of us that have tried it in one capacity or another respect those that devote their energy to it.

S!

HC should not be that hard. It should be fun.

vasduten1

S!

I certainly respect those in HC. I don't have to agree with having an HC in the first place to do that.

Being HC should not cause someone to want to quit for good.

It just shouldn't be such a crappy and time-consuming job.

I WAS HC.

I was LW CO, second to Country.

I spent a lot of time coordinating players, moving supply and working the map, and hated it.

Being MOIC stinks. The whole dependency on HC for EVERY aspect of game play stinks.

Edited by vasduten1

pikapawz

S!

I really honestly dislike the whole "Well if you think you can do better, you do it." argument. If HC paid for everyone's sub, sure, that'd be valid. But... what if I don't _want_ to be HC (I do personally but you know, for the sake of argument...) what if I just wanna log in, cap a few CPs, push a few towns and shoot a few guys? Oh but HC has put flags in absolutely stupid positions meaning the map is either stagnant and dead, as it's been the last few days, or the map is steamrolled by one side while the other has all it's brigades moved to training?

So you're telling someone, who just wants a fun large scale FPS to do a job (yes, Job) that they don't want to do and to spend their whole time trying to herd cats? Nah. That's unfair on that person who pays his sub to play the game the way he wants to.

HC is set up in such a way that one error has way too much of a knock on effect, and one bad placement can cause people to simply not long in until things change, like right now. Town Supply can't come soon enough.

Edited by pikapawz

Capco

It seems a majority of recent HC complaints are coming from Axis players. There are obviously Allies who are upset too though, like the OP. Interesting.

Fwiw, I too think the system is too reliant on volunteers to work at this population level (kind of like how CRS itself operates ;)). But I still think movable flags have a place within town-based supply.

frogdeth

The problem with HC isn't the HC. The problem is that the playerbase sucks. Whenever the team is winning, they take all the credit for themselves. When the team is losing, it's everyone else's fault. The HC are just the most visible targets.

Simply put, if you're MOIC and you capture six towns in one day, the average player will say "We won that day because I am so greatly skilled and talented."

But if you're MOIC and you lose six towns in one day, that same player will say "We lost because the HC is incompetent."

I have watched days when we've been horribly underpop, getting zerged from every direction, with DOs that didn't even have one person watching the town - and when we got creamed everyone blamed the HC for it.

Here's the reality:

HC are only as effective as the people under their command.

Got that? If you are not following orders, if you are not guarding, if you are not setting up enough FRUs, then it doesn't matter what the HC does. You will lose. And it will not be their fault. It will be your fault.

Dislaimer: Now sometimes we do indeed get some serious retards in the HC. And when that happens the reverse is true, because no amount of playerbase skill can make up for some idiot trying to attack five stacked brigades with only one and thinking it will work because they've got 5% overpop at the moment.

That being said, however, it is important to make sure you're being honest with yourself. What did you do to help your side today? Did you place a FRU? Organize an armor column? Attempt a FB bust? Drive a tow truck for any length of time? Because I assert that most of the people who whine about the HC don't do any of these things. They just sit in depots and snipe, fly around worrying about their stats, or kamikaze tanks into ATGs all day long and then claim that somehow their failures are HC's fault.

Now if you are a team player who does their part then sure, you've earned the right to complain. If you've set up a FRU, towed out four guns, personally directed your squadmates and marked targets all over the map then now you get to gripe. Until then, shut up.

pikapawz
The problem with HC isn't the HC. The problem is that the playerbase sucks. Whenever the team is winning, they take all the credit for themselves. When the team is losing, it's everyone else's fault. The HC are just the most visible targets.

Simply put, if you're MOIC and you capture six towns in one day, the average player will say "We won that day because I am so greatly skilled and talented."

But if you're MOIC and you lose six towns in one day, that same player will say "We lost because the HC is incompetent."

I have watched days when we've been horribly underpop, getting zerged from every direction, with DOs that didn't even have one person watching the town - and when we got creamed everyone blamed the HC for it.

Here's the reality:

Got that? If you are not following orders, if you are not guarding, if you are not setting up enough FRUs, then it doesn't matter what the HC does. You will lose. And it will not be their fault. It will be your fault.

Dislaimer: Now sometimes we do indeed get some serious retards in the HC. And when that happens the reverse is true, because no amount of playerbase skill can make up for some idiot trying to attack five stacked brigades with only one and thinking it will work because they've got 5% overpop at the moment.

That being said, however, it is important to make sure you're being honest with yourself. What did you do to help your side today? Did you place a FRU? Organize an armor column? Attempt a FB bust? Drive a tow truck for any length of time? Because I assert that most of the people who whine about the HC don't do any of these things. They just sit in depots and snipe, fly around worrying about their stats, or kamikaze tanks into ATGs all day long and then claim that somehow their failures are HC's fault.

Now if you are a team player who does their part then sure, you've earned the right to complain. If you've set up a FRU, towed out four guns, personally directed your squadmates and marked targets all over the map then now you get to gripe. Until then, shut up.

Now I would like you to do the following:

Please log in and look at the map as it stands right now. It's hardly moved. No combat is happening on any kind of decent scale for days and every time I've logged in it's lasted about 20-30 mins before I just log out -bored-. Think about that for a moment. I'm getting BORED in WW2 shooter. The hell is that all about!?

And of course, here we go - Another so-called 'veteran' telling the new blood to "Shut up" because once again they think they know best. Don't do that, you just undermine your whole point. When the whole faction is more than happy to camp windows and spawn rooms rather than push objectives, it don't matter how much of a 'Team player' you are, you ain't picking up that slack. So whining is totally justified.

But hey, you're right. It's not just HC that's useless a lot of the time. It would seem half the player base does not understand the point of the game as well.

Edited by pikapawz

sascha

That.

When you try to get people off defense for hours on end, using all means/channels at your disposal and then you check a DO that was called as a "911" only to find 30 or 40 friendlies defending from maybe 20 or 25 Allies *while we are overpop* - what can you do?

Or seeing how people will not listen to your pleas to not cap a city flag but instead help you cap a spawnable in an uncontested town with little or no defense.

You can't force people to do anything in this game, so if they don't listen, the best plan in the world isn't going to work. Plain and simple.

Not blaming *anyone* here, but I do agree with frog that HC can't really win, no matter what they do or no matter how the map looks.

And saying "why don't you try HC if you know better?" isn't about being an aloof smart-ass - it's about wanting complainers to see for themselves what HC-work can be like. Funny thing is that most will fall silent if you answer rants on side or ch10 with that invitation to apply to HC.

S.

pikapawz
That.

And saying "why don't you try HC if you know better?" isn't about being an aloof smart-ass - it's about wanting complainers to see for themselves what HC-work can be like. Funny thing is that most will fall silent if you answer rants on side or ch10 with that invitation to apply to HC.

S.

Totally disagree there. Lets say you go out and a buy a game, you get it home, pop it in and it turns out to be unrelenting garbage. Saying you didn't like it shouldn't be met with the developer shouting "Well you do better then!" It should be an indication that _something_ in the chain is broken. If that is HC themselves, the player base or the system, it should be identified and should be investigated.

If people are logging off because HC has made a pig's ear of placement, it's on HC players. If people ain't logging in because the map is boring and stagnant, it's on HC AND the system. If CPs are never taken even though everything else is good and HC are in world and LEADING then the problem is the players. If HC can't make content because they don't have the players, the System is broken.

Each of these has it's own unique set of problems and solutions. Stop making out like it's party X or party Y. It's way way more complex than that. You're all making it sound so very simple and being very reductive in your arguments.

Honestly, all of this will end once Town Supply is in. This argument will vanish instantly, and it can't come soon enough. Long and short of it is we just don't have the player base to keep the current system.

Edited by pikapawz

vasduten1

frogdeth, there is nothing remotely "team player"-ish about moving flags around and saying, "OK, peeps!!! Time to attack Sedan!"

or,

"OK, Sedan needs defense 911!!11!"

The HC structure as it is today gives no real tactical advantages aside from what AO to place and how to stack flags and type dot fallback.

It doesn't make new or vet players want to join a team fight anywhere.

What works is when a big squad gets on and privately asks HC for an AO or FOUR... and then hits them with coordinated attacks.

BK did this many times last campaign, and I was there for many of those.

We'd have FSJR02 ask HC for an AO and deliberate what is a good target, and then as the AO takes 10 minutes for tables to be hot, we'd get a load of paras on board and have tanks en route to the AO with some trucks and FRUS.

Sometimes we'd roll a town, sometimes not.

Believe me... not much of the AO decisions came from actual HC, and WE were the ones to point out where supply needed to move to to sustain these attacks.

Nobody is blaming HC; it's the system that depends on them to give EVERY objective, down to stupid bridge "defense" to repair that stinks.

To sit here and say the "playerbase sucks" just further reiterates the issues with HC; that they are not in touch with the playerbase... and somehow consider themselves better than or apart from the playerbase.

They're not; they're just parts of the same playerbase that has been diverted from actual gameplay to pretend they are generals who are "leading" an "army".

Time to take HC down a few pegs and give the sucky playerbase it's fun back, if only because of people like you who think the playerbase sucks.

Capco

This whole concept of HC/Squad&Player disconnect is really puzzling to me. In AHC, nearly every squad is represented in some form. We are MORE than happy to let squads do their thing and setup attacks, since it is AHC officers that probably do at least 50% of the FRUs and other b*tch-work (despite being a much smaller fraction of the total player population). We LOVE it when players take initiative and work with us so that we can actually get a few kills here and there :)

Seriously, the last time I personally remember a squad/hc conflict, it was because a squad of old farts wanted to go softcapping in the north and I had to tell them no (or rather to wait until we could spare the AO).

As to the current system, we can argue about why it doesn't work until we are blue in the face (I lean towards froggie's take *gasp* but regardless). But the fact remains that with the current pop levels, a full brigade system like we have now cannot guarantee 24/7 game functioning.

Call your local representative and tell them you support

Proposition 2: Town-Based Supply with Movable, Supplemental Brigades!

Edited by capco

erasmo
still no paris.

lmao

gassault

The hc system works fine when

A) is on

B) has a clue tho 90% do

C) has a side with players on it

D) has the backing of those players

Hc or no hc system I really do not mind

Just want a way of balancing the sides

Dell1939

HC works, you just need officers on and players willing to listen and help out. They can most definitely help you out if you're having an issue, but you need to tell them. If supply is low and you want a brigade swapped out don't whine about it on target chat, go and .m the MOIC and let them know asap. If they don't know there's a problem they can't fix it. Whining about it on channels doesn't help them out at all.

*Example*

.m MOIC We're down to 100 rifles in X brigade at X town. Please swap X brigade with Y brigade.

They can then either swap flags out right away or quickly check themselves what supply is like, and then make a decision.

jphartt
I played 01-08 then off and on & off 10-14. Came back for this freebie June. I now remember why I left. Crap from HC. The game is more stable but the "leaders from the front" obviously never served a day. Take the fun out of the game and lead by no example. It's a game folk. Oh, and not worth the monthly payment. Same **** day in and out. Navy is basically pointless. Still no Paris. Frankly, it was more fun with the bugs in 01 without the technical BS. Personally, I would like HC if it was less large, with less bark. Close AO's in map marks that don't matter. Just not worth the 15 bucks a month to play. Love the idea, hate the result.Good luck....tried again but for the last time....

My opinion, I think its rather inappropriate drive by attack the player-base, without offering positive reinforcement. I am a Day 1 player, returned last September '15 and not ever have I seen the game moving forward in such a positive way, with great ideas on the way. I believe in the community and am proud to be a $30/mo builder. Whats one night out in the pub cost? $30-$50-$100.

IMO Your post is lousy and not worth .02¢

frogdeth
If people are logging off because HC has made a pig's ear of placement, it's on HC players. If people ain't logging in because the map is boring and stagnant, it's on HC AND the system. If CPs are never taken even though everything else is good and HC are in world and LEADING then the problem is the players. If HC can't make content because they don't have the players, the System is broken.

You make good points there. There is a third angle to the problem: Players, HC, and the system itself.

david01

Here's the reality:

The average players in this game aren't under the command of the HC.

The only command structures that function in an online game are voluntary ones. That's why a squad can get its members to do things while having no authority or additional ability besides a chat channel, and why HC struggles to get players to do basic tasks despite being able to control where players can spawn units and where they can attack.

Sudden

It would be fun if HC progressed at a slower rate. If there was a discussion, a set of orders, commander assigned, positions filled. Then, HC announces to the the rest of the PB that a new attack or defense is forming up. The PB can decide what role they want to play in that attack/defense but the role they choose for said attack/def becomes their role, their responsibility. Now you have commanders/mission leaders with small groups dedicated to a particular phase of the attack/defense. Things build up. The excitement builds up as each group of players under command sets up its part. The battle begins and plays out as it will. The HC facilitates and adjusts as the battle unfolds. Small tight groups can be asked to switch roles to fill holes (volunteers). Now you have a cohesive unit and everyone in it agreed to fill a need. It will naturally create crossover help. If one unit is failing, HC can ask another unit (that is already working together on their own) to switch gears and assist. Whether or not that assistance comes or even makes a difference is decided by the heat of battle. Bliss ensues and everyone gets a hardon.

XOOM

Quality, consistent leadership in every organization is the key to its success. It all starts at the top they say.

Sudden
Quality, consistent leadership in every organization is the key to its success. It all starts at the top they say.

That's always been true... however, you must first rise to the top. What you're doing now is what the game needed for a while. Work towards perfection, make the changes that are most sensible, and move on. The next generation of players will learn the "new" system and become expert at it. The real trick you must perform (imo) is the shortening of the learning curve. Brain drain is the only thing that can really hurt this game. Find a way for new players to gain knowledge quickly and you win.

stankyus
HC should not be that hard. It should be fun.

This is one reason why I have not hit the HC application. So many times Im talking to HC and they are sitting at Map screen for hours at times fixing things. I hope they go both ways, I prefer TO&Es having a role in game play with garrisoning to reduce HC stress and allow them to enjoy the active play ingame.

smythes

If squads want the kit they can build it up like they did in the past.

Seems a good idea to me...if they have the hours to do it and don't have kids/work/family etc.