kamel

EI render distance and ricochets

6 posts in this topic

Way back when, in separate attempts to improve performance on average PC's infantry render distance was reduced from 1000m down to 700m... and all rounds were discarded if they glanced off an object [like tank armour, internal components, etc].

Well, now that the average CPU/GPU is massively better... maybe we could think about increasing infantry render distance and allowing rounds a single bounce or even more if they are inside a vehicle?

I feel this is especially important now that infantry have weapons that can engage targets outside the 700m limit... and make ATG's and armour a little less vulnerable to infantry literally charging straight at them across open ground.

With the ricochet discard as is I feel reduces lethality of most AP rounds and leads to a lot of WTF moments for players.

Example : Currently as I understand it. A round penetrates armour, generates spall from the inside face, then impacts say, the transmission or gun carriage at a bad angle, is determined to ricochet off... and is therefore discarded. EVEN IF IT IS AN APHE ROUND THAT HASN'T DETONATED YET.

In the case of any round thus discarded, its still INSIDE the vehicle, still traveling at a fair clip. A single calculated angle change would give it a better chance to reflect that lethality. If the CPU cycles were adequate, a few bounces would be even better.

I agree on the infantry render issue. I'd like it if the infantry render distance as at least returned to 1000m. More preferably 1500m.

Tracking infantry movements, hearing shots of ATR's/LMG's at long range plinking your AAA/ATG/truck, level bombers being effective on infantry, etc.

700m is a relatively small bubble.

I agree on the infantry render issue. I'd like it if the infantry render distance as at least returned to 1000m. More preferably 1500m.

Tracking infantry movements, hearing shots of ATR's/LMG's at long range plinking your AAA/ATG/truck, level bombers being effective on infantry, etc.

700m is a relatively small bubble.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about aircraft. It's help with that too.

Maybe an increase in the visible player limit?

I thought I read recently that the EI render distance was at 1000m?

Unless it was the latest patch, I don't believe so.

A few nights ago, I could see friendly infantry on my map ~800m away, but could not see their tags, and there was no obstruction between myself and them. Some others 600m away were visible w/tags.