delems

CO assigned rank.

30 posts in this topic

A way for COs of squads to assign ranks to their members (and self) would be very helpful. This rank would show in game, but not override the players game rank which would be used for equipment.

Our squad doesn't need XOs, recruiters, members and recruits. We need Lieutenants, Sergeants, Corporals and privates.

This would really help display the structure of the squad.

6 people like this

The current choices likely came about from past suggestions, but these rank choices seem like valid squad organization choices too; why not both sets of choices -- does it need to be one or the other?

Just my dirty little ho.

;-)

Edited by vonguff

Great Idea,

Back in the game beginning I joined the WhiteFalcons squad our CO was Cheatum and he implemented a similar thing. Our squad had over 90 members so we had our own pilots - infantry - tank division all with XO's over each. There was also the lower ranked officers that took our higher officers places when they were not on.

It worked out great........Good idea Delems

1 person likes this

Very interesting concept, it needs a lot more meat to it though, how would it be implemented? How would the players react to their current rank going down and being based on your squad? Would there be limits, or would someone bypass all of that rank they have already earned? Would this rank impact what sort of weapons they'd get?

Those are just a few questions to start.

1 person likes this

===

how would it be implemented?

===

Guessing a field would be put in the squad tab under the members tab for the CO assigned member rank, if filled in by the CO, the system would display that rank instead of the system rank, if empty, it would still use the system rank.

====

How would the players react to their current rank going down and being based on your squad?

====

If they didn't like it, they'd questioned the CO, who would explain or change it. Or they would leave the squad.

===

Would there be limits, or would someone bypass all of that rank they have already earned?

===

No limits, the rank the CO put in would be the players rank. The question that does come up, is what about ranks above Lt Col; that would have to be figured out as it encroaches on the HC. However, as HC is diminishing, maybe that won't matter as much. Or, could maybe limit CO assigned rank to no higher than 1 star, something like that.

===

Would this rank impact what sort of weapons they'd get?

===

No, the system would always use the system rank for access to equipment. Though, that is an interesting concept.

The question you didn't ask that I have thought about is, would each persona get a different rank assigned by the CO? Thinking no atm, one rank for every persona if the CO assigns one. Other question is, if a player has a HC rank, would the squad CO rank override it, probably not; system would use the HC rank first; CO assigned rank 2nd, and system (non HC) rank 3rd.

For our squad, thinking CO is Cptn, XO is 2nd Lt, and team leaders Tech Sgt and Staff Sgt. Everyone else starts as recruit or private. Team leaders (and of course CO and XO) can request promotions for their teammates to Private Fist class, Corporal and Sgt, after that you get into team leader positions. At least at this time this would be our plan. Subject to change of course. (might have all team leaders be at least 2nd Lt.

Edited by delems

====

How would the players react to their current rank going down and being based on your squad?

====

If they didn't like it, they'd questioned the CO, who would explain or change it. Or they would leave the squad.

so a player spends a long while working up in rank to have it literally taken away on a whim of another player? That'll go over great.

Though renaming the current rank set (which doesn't affect in game anything) to something more military sounding (maybe non-Commissioned Officer Ranks for example) would be just as effective.

More so if there were an option to display it in game, but given priorities, that'll be a reach.

Edited by B2K

Roleplaying doesn't need to be coded in. Just saying.

We had a rank system parallel to the game's in my squad, we had a complete website with an elaborated roster etc.

As you can see in my sig, I'm a Lt. in my squad.

Anyways, it would still be cool if squads could choose the denomination of their ranks instead of having generic ones. So Delems can be Rear Admiral of the fl33t ;)

====

so a player spends a long while working up in rank to have it literally taken away on a whim of another player? That'll go over great.

====

I'm sure squad loyalty outweighs any rank display in game which means nothing after rank 7; it isn't 'whim of another player', it's the CO of the squad that they bought into. A player that doesn't like their rank, can either move up in squad or leave.

Maybe in addition to rank, they could show stripes that count for years/hours of playing game. Then you could be a private in a squad, but everyone could see you been around for ages in game by your seniority stripes.

Edited by delems

====

Anyways, it would still be cool if squads could choose the denomination of their ranks instead of having generic ones. So Delems can be Rear Admiral of the fl33t

====

Yes it would be, and as I've stated, I'd probably be a 1st Lt or Capt.; or in my case, (Oberleutnant zur See or Kapitänleutnant when using navy persona); though, my HC rank would override it.

A title function is also common in most MMOs. It would be nice to see a person's rank/title displayed in front of their gametag in game imho. Maybe it would make it too saturated tho.

*vanity* stuff like that often really helps in retaining players.

A title function is also common in most MMOs. It would be nice to see a person's rank/title displayed in front of their gametag in game imho. Maybe it would make it too saturated tho.

*vanity* stuff like that often really helps in retaining players.

Partly vanity.

Also, as a returning player that just picked a random squad, I don't know the structure of the squad, and none of the ones that I randomly fall into seem to have much structure to them. I don't know if they guy telling me where to go actually knows what he is doing or not.

Why cant the squad rank be seperate from ingame rank, all hes asking is that recruiter is replaced with private or whatever, has nothing to do with your game rank, its just a visual candy.

I'd be in favor of separate squad rank, determined / assigned by the squad, that would appear in-game next to the Squad name / acronym and look something like this:

CO - Commanding Officer

XO - Executive Officer(s)

SL - Squad Leader(s)

SM - Squad Member(s)

I also miss the old officer uniforms and caps.

EZ

On 2016/8/30 at 5:16 AM, ezeight65 said:

我很赞成独立队排名,确定/由小队分配,这些信息将出现在游戏中旁边的队名/简称,是这个样子:

CO - 指挥官

XO - 行政主任(S)

SL - 班长(S)

SM - 小队成员(S)

我也怀念过去的军官制服和帽子。

EZ

I used to be the first instructor of the Chinese server, at that time I felt that I was wearing a very handsome officer.:cool:

1 person likes this

On 7/5/2016 at 6:48 PM, XOOM said:

Very interesting concept, it needs a lot more meat to it though, how would it be implemented? How would the players react to their current rank going down and being based on your squad? Would there be limits, or would someone bypass all of that rank they have already earned? Would this rank impact what sort of weapons they'd get?

Those are just a few questions to start.

For me it would be enough to see the function in the chat only. This way you could keep the ranking in the game and just add the squad rank in the chat. E.g. parasit (91.) or parasit (xo 91.)

On 7/5/2016 at 7:59 PM, B2K said:

so a player spends a long while working up in rank to have it literally taken away on a whim of another player? That'll go over great...

Yes, I agree players might not be happy. I remember the time when the ranks changed from general to Lt.Col and I wasn't happy at that time.

This leads me to another (no high priority) point. It would be nice having more ranks, so also "older" players can get ranks again. Maybe separate officer ranks from ingame ranks?

Pretty sure rank is a non issue to most players, besides, this doesn't inhibit your gear - just a visual so people know the org structure of squad.

And, if your rank display means that much to you in game... move up in squad - or leave the squad.

Edited by delems

13 hours ago, delems said:

Pretty sure rank is a non issue to most players, besides, this doesn't inhibit your gear - just a visual so people know the org structure of squad.

And, if your rank display means that much to you in game... move up in squad - or leave the squad.

To me, rank is an element so ripe for development. It can be a real way of getting players playing for longer and playing the right way, if the mechanisms are developed to reward players 

2 people like this

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:39 PM, parasit said:

For me it would be enough to see the function in the chat only. This way you could keep the ranking in the game and just add the squad rank in the chat. E.g. parasit (91.) or parasit (xo 91.)

Yes, I agree players might not be happy. I remember the time when the ranks changed from general to Lt.Col and I wasn't happy at that time.

This leads me to another (no high priority) point. It would be nice having more ranks, so also "older" players can get ranks again. Maybe separate officer ranks from ingame ranks?

and have more perks to. The more rank the more you get. Like maybe camo uniform, or you can camo your vehicle and put vegetation on it. Or how about being able to put a scope on ANY rifle (or better scopes). Just some little things, candy. Markings on vehicles or uniforms, stuff like this. Not game changers. More map control (physical map). Votes on what to attack or defend, etc.

An extra nade. Better stamina. Better hearing.

Think of the possibilities. Perks, little things but NOT game changers.

9 hours ago, imded said:

and have more perks to. The more rank the more you get. Like maybe camo uniform, or you can camo your vehicle and put vegetation on it. Or how about being able to put a scope on ANY rifle (or better scopes). Just some little things, candy. Markings on vehicles or uniforms, stuff like this. Not game changers. More map control (physical map). Votes on what to attack or defend, etc.

An extra nade. Better stamina. Better hearing.

Think of the possibilities. Perks, little things but NOT game changers.

I had some ideas laid out based off the old SWG concept of skill trees. I'll try and find it 

Mirroring the SWG system would also allow you to combine rank and XP, with XP then giving you the chance to build in  an element of side loyalty and - critically - a balancing mechanism, ie faster XP rates when massively underpop 

This area of game design seriously has the ability to fix many of the longstanding issues we find frustrating 

This is what I previously posted. 

Could do with refreshing, given the changes the game's gone through over the last 5 years