kpfzer

Idea: Switch from Team speak to Discord (Or create an oficial discord channel)

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm seeing a new trend that is stronger every day, and it's worth the attention. The name is Discord.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long term user of team speak and I always though it was the best over ventrillo and skype, but then Discord came.

Discord mix great and free voice comunication, robust chat and forum/like system that reminds IRC and whatsapp, free mobile app and it works even on a browser.

It's great for game devs as you can keep your community together and a user can participate in various discord communities at same time. So I could be speaking on another discord server and still get a notification from Xoom about a Welcome back soldier promotion.

I'm seeing more and more game communities going to Discord and I hope you guys can create a Channel there. I'm pretty sure thats the future of game coms.

Here is a invite to a fully working Discord community to you guys have a better idea on how it works. from the game "Squad": http://discord.me/joinsquad

Yeah everyone it seems is bailing to Discord because it's so much less hassle. The HCs should just get on it themselves and set up a text command channel for each side. Discord has great android/ios mobile clients so it's easy to get people if something bad happens. Same thing for when people are playing other games, the channels are all centralized and the UI is done well. I can be doing something else and I get seamless messages from my EVE online corporation. Also you don't give out your IP and a lot of people use it for text chat instead of voice, IMO it's a lot easier to get strangers on a discord channel than teamspeak.

about 6 months ago we tried to shift over to Discord. after a number of issues and lacking certain functionality, it was decided to go back to using TS.

Not sure what has changed or if it would be a worth at a relook but shifting the entire community over to something else is a big hurdle.

about 6 months ago we tried to shift over to Discord. after a number of issues and lacking certain functionality, it was decided to go back to using TS.

Not sure what has changed or if it would be a worth at a relook but shifting the entire community over to something else is a big hurdle.

Honestly, its worth doing. With role managment you can can sort out private channels and private text channels and if you want that automated there are hundreds of pre made bots and plenty of guides to help you get set up.

Hell I'd be willing to the leg work even. It is a vastly superior platform to TS and offers a place for 'off voice' discussion.

Of all the communities I am a part of, this is the only one that still uses TS, heh ^^

We have looked at Discord when it was in early alpha and we didn't feel the community was ready for it for a variety of reasons. The biggest reason being that we couldn't host our own server (at that time) and the administrative control functions were very... incomplete.

We have no intent to move over to Discord at this particular time. WWII Online's official voice communication service is and will continue to be Teamspeak 3 until we feel ready that our community would really benefit from something like that.

On 7/6/2016 at 5:21 PM, SNIPER62 said:

Discord is still unreliable.