stonecomet

Fms

21 posts in this topic

First off I apologize for having to post this here. The word verification for comments to the last Friday Update with discussion and photos of the developing Fortified Mobile Spawn (FMS) is not displaying correctly so I cannot comment there at this time.

Link to update

I'm really looking forward to the FMS. My suggestion for roughening it up would be to turn those wooden planks on the outside into rough cut logs like an old log fort or frontier cabin. It would look more natural and robust that way. Please keep up the good work. S!

Edited by stonecomet
correct title

Good feedback, I have passed it onto the artist working on it currently. Thanks, S!

The FMS looks too big. Are we going to be able to hide them in bushes?

Stealth is very important in this game.

fms-outside.png

My suggestion for roughening it up would be to turn those wooden planks on the outside into rough cut logs like an old log fort or frontier cabin. It would look more natural and robust that way.

Infantrymen wouldn't have access to planks, and if they did, someone with experience or authority would tell them not to build that way. Planks are anti-camouflage, don't stop bullets at all, and turn into lethal splinters when hit by large caliber or explosive ordnance. A plank look is unrealistic.

A log look isn't a lot better. If logs were used, it'd likely be as roof beams, and maybe as the core of a sandbag wall to keep it from toppling. Logs by themselves don't stop ordnance, either. An ordinary .30 caliber or 7.62mm FMJ bullet will go through over two feet of oak and still have more than enough energy to kill.

If logs were used in quick construction, they wouldn't be visible. They'd be covered with dirt and ideally sod on the roof, and mud-covered sandbags or a rock and dirt berm on the vertical walls.

The point of such construction is to be the same color as the immediate surroundings, and hard for ordnance to penetrate. The latter goal in-game is just done with parameters, but it helps the game's realism-feel if the apparent construction method and the penetration performance are logically related.

Infantrymen wouldn't have access to planks, and if they did, someone with experience or authority would tell them not to build that way. Planks are anti-camouflage, don't stop bullets at all, and turn into lethal splinters when hit by large caliber or explosive ordnance. A plank look is unrealistic.

A log look isn't a lot better. If logs were used, it'd likely be as roof beams, and maybe as the core of a sandbag wall to keep it from toppling. Logs by themselves don't stop ordnance, either. An ordinary .30 caliber or 7.62mm FMJ bullet will go through over two feet of oak and still have more than enough energy to kill.

If logs were used in quick construction, they wouldn't be visible. They'd be covered with dirt and ideally sod on the roof, and mud-covered sandbags or a rock and dirt berm on the vertical walls.

The point of such construction is to be the same color as the immediate surroundings, and hard for ordnance to penetrate. The latter goal in-game is just done with parameters, but it helps the game's realism-feel if the apparent construction method and the penetration performance are logically related.

I agree with a lot of what you say. We have to meet at some middle ground though. There is a significant amount of sandbagging in the interior to kind of give the more sustainable damage feeling. Perhaps in addition to using logs they could also model bushes that look similar to what we have and sticky them across different areas of the FMS and additionally place some extra lower level sandbags surrounding the front. The more important part being how it takes damage and how much in the whole scheme of things. So basically a rough cut log structure with bushes attached as camo would work well I believe even the rough cut log would be an improvement over the boxes we have now. Just make sure the bark is still present and the logs are darker or drab. The texture and coloring of the FMS will be very important as well.

You could also create a PPO of camo bushes that get placed around the FMS but those would probably be abused.

The FMS to me is less about stealth and more about a sustainable attack platform as a PPO. I'll bet you can get creative about locations and still hide them considerably. Although doing so very close to a town will be difficult to hide.

Stealth these days and where the game is going can still be carried out but they will be more high risk and take more time to accomplish. Soldiers used to walk in all the time to set the old player placed FRUs. That same type of commitment of getting a good fire squad together and moving in on foot can still be accomplished but now it is high risk because of the inability to place a personal spawn on foot. Additionally, even from the new FMS you will still get opportunities to spawn and use wide flanks to surprise the enemy. That is the direction I see stealth going. That and interdiction.

Edited by stonecomet

Well then I hope we can keep the old frus as well. I prefer to hide my frus in bushes. So maybe we should have 2 types of frus and everyone will be happy.

I think, the game needs the camo nets, also for this purpose.

weare_rally_2007_073.JPG

Just two questions, will infantry be able to climb on top of the FMS and what do you think about adding small, slot windows on the sides to shoot or view from?

Well then I hope we can keep the old frus as well. I prefer to hide my frus in bushes. So maybe we should have 2 types of frus and everyone will be happy.

The future of FRU's is to solely act as a re-supply unit, not as a mobile spawn.

Just two questions, will infantry be able to climb on top of the FMS and what do you think about adding small, slot windows on the sides to shoot or view from?

Probably won't be able to walk on top, but it may be possible (we're not designing it with that thought in mind). Shooter slits were originally considered but decided against it to avoid camping concerns.

A plank look is unrealistic.

Yeah, but thats the HC spawn. They still haven't got to the muddy little hovel we grunts get. Which btw will double as the HC latrine.

Rudimentary periscope? Or would that be too unrealistically represented? Maybe too much to additionally code as well. Possibly an idea to hold onto and add later if it's feasible in it's representation. Would be nice to be able to have some kind of scouting ability(vision) from within looking to the blind sides; the front and flanks.

Sandbags with earth and bushes or camouflage netting would be more appropriate.

Wooden beams for roof support, with sand bags on top.

I think when you design the FMS you can assume that squads will build 4-5 of those FMSs next to each other and create small forts with them - so your design should take that into consuderation as well. Players will surely build structures that vehicles can not pass into or get shots into from the backside.

Sandbags with earth and bushes or camouflage netting would be more appropriate.

Wooden beams for roof support, with sand bags on top.

+1

Probably won't be able to walk on top, but it may be possible (we're not designing it with that thought in mind). Shooter slits were originally considered but decided against it to avoid camping concerns.

Then put the firing slits at the very top, with inf ramps to walk up to look out. Like the ramps to look over AB walls.

That way, anything firing IN, would fire over the head of things spawning.

Not having firing slits to protect these ugly things will be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention logically and historically inaccurate.

I picture an LMG in a fox hole; 100m in front of it, killing EVEYTHING that runs blindly around the sides of the giant "KILL ME HERE" box.

Edited by lipton

Maybe make the roof a foot higher and inside it, along the walls have a small ramp/bench/log that can be walked on to raise you up high enough to look/shoot out of the slits. That way, when you spawn in, you can't be shot from the 3 walled sides but if you wish to look out the slits you can, you just need to walk up onto them.

Gee! There's an idea. ??? wtf ??? lol

Then put the firing slits at the very top, with inf ramps to walk up to look out. Like the ramps to look over AB walls.

That way, anything firing IN, would fire over the head of things spawning.

Not having firing slits to protect these ugly things will be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention logically and historically inaccurate.

I picture an LMG in a fox hole; 100m in front of it, killing EVEYTHING that runs blindly around the sides of the giant "KILL ME HERE" box.

Edited by lipton

Gee! There's an idea. ??? wtf ??? lol

Haha, how did I not see your post. We posted the same thing. :D

Maybe make the roof a foot higher and inside it, along the walls have a small ramp/bench/log that can be walked on to raise you up high enough to look/shoot out of the slits. That way, when you spawn in, you can't be shot from the 3 walled sides but if you wish to look out the slits you can, you just need to walk up onto them.

yeah like this :

Childrens%20Castle%20Garden%20Playhouse%20with%20Activities.jpg