ZEBBEEE

re - modelling ALL buildings, ingame objects and vegetation

16 posts in this topic

Load of work but easily given to volunteer artists. It would change the game experience by its own.

IMHO buildings for example should all be like the current bunker, i.e. opened from one side only (not destroyed state). this would help limiting movements across towns and allow the set up of ambushes with MG nests. currently it is impossible to set up and hold a building. Add some private gardens where a FMS can be deployed as well. To start with, just close some doors of existing buildings.

Large cities could be made more fun as well.

Can it be opened to the community and have formats being converted to importable ones?

Communicate the constraints about the number of polygons, texture resolution, the size of existing patterns and such.

Or just pre-work to be adjusted by interns.

Edited by Zebbeee

One problem is finding enough volunteer artists.

Heck, the entire High Command Uniform project is on hold because there's no artist to do it.

Something like this, when speaking about just closing one side of existing buildings. It would change the way infantries move towards towns, hence allowing the set up of small ZOCs.

building1.jpg

building2.jpg

No, need a few more building types and items in the blogs imo. Also, maybe a third rubble state, basically rubbled to ground level.

Our blogs are too bare (along with debris in streets and countryside) inside. Be nice to get on more roofs too.

No, need a few more building types and items in the blogs imo. Also, maybe a third rubble state, basically rubbled to ground level.

Our blogs are too bare (along with debris in streets and countryside) inside. Be nice to get on more roofs too.

I agree, there should be a 3rd rubble state, completely flattened with piles of rubble. It's frustrating that some buildings remain so intact in their damaged state. Certain buildings like depots/cps shouldn't be changed obviously but random buildings in towns/cities should be able to be brought to the ground completely.

No, you are not helping at all when suggesting they should add more things to the world. because that is a manual work. DOC did it in each town and it took hundreds of man - hours.

the simplest they can do is to modify existing patterns

If they update what we have, it might change our gaming experience.

I however agree on adding extra levels of destroyed states, if possible.

question : will sandbags be deployable in buildings as well ? that would allow us to close accesses, as suggested

I agree, there should be a 3rd rubble state, completely flattened with piles of rubble. It's frustrating that some buildings remain so intact in their damaged state. Certain buildings like depots/cps shouldn't be changed obviously but random buildings in towns/cities should be able to be brought to the ground completely.

disagree, destroyed states need to maintain the avenues/streets etc so the general flow is maintained. the worst part of massive town fighting is once all those big buildings become destroyed there is no flow to the fights at all.

Rubble state is a good idea. More incentive for level bombing a town, immersion, etc.

I agree. All buildings in game need a 3rd damage model. Last one being very little left standing. Of course it would take a lot of bombs to put it to that state!

My view is that CRS shouldn't devote resources to the built environment until they're ready to move to four-state and 1 story x ten meters x building depth destruction zones, with interzone destruction logic for fires and structural collapse.

Nothing in the game is just art. There's always code. And, nothing is ever a single model. At a minimum, there always must be a collider model plus several Level of Detail models, plus code to determine which one applies in a given circumstance. If there are multiple destruction states, that multiplies the number of models and the amount of code.

I would suggest not just rubble state, but more as "ruins-without-floors-condition", colored as grey ash and burns. Bare trees...

Something similar

Stalingrad-Ruins.png

But the question remains, will stay those cities in such condition until end of the campaign?

question : will sandbags be deployable in buildings as well ? that would allow us to close accesses, as suggested

Maybe stick them outside of the building, which would have the same effect.

;)

I hope they do but they do have proximity restrictions. Trying to place a fru in town will frequently say too close to a terrain object if you place within 1 meter of a building. I hope they reduce them for sandbags.

Should make no distance restrictions imo. So what if the PPO clips into other stuff... be just like real life when stuff is blown to crap and mixed up all around.

Think of the interesting terrain modifications you could make if you could put foxholes on 2nd floors of blogs, or ATG pits right next to blogs... Or an ATG pit on a roof! LOTS more fun and interesting.

Be far more varied if every object didn't have to be 10,000m away from the other nearest object. Same for trees, why can't my foxhole be built right next to a tree or berm? Far more realistic if objects could be way closer.

I think it'd be cool if the same 'object' were somehow terrain adaptive, so a 'fighting position' would be the current one in forrest/berm, but in city would change to sandbags. AND also be deployable in windows (I spent a lot of RL time putting sandbags into windows to use as cover.... )