Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Hardware Info

36 posts in this topic

Whats the chance of the mac version (TeamSpeex) getting an "overlay"?

I hear that the PC folks use "TS overlay" and when someone talks they can see onscreen the name of who it is.

I can recognize all my squadmates voices, but often I join in with many others, and I dont have a clue who is talking at any given time.

I just want to have the auto-reconnect and automatic-channel-select-on-connect features put back in. The developer of Teamspeex said he took these features out because thay were unstable, but he put them back into the CVS version. If I could set up a compile system on my Mac, then I might be able to make the CVS binary myself, but who has the time anymore? I have to get back to WWIIOL... :)

P.S. jackdnls, that TS Overlay is a seperate program made for Windows boxes by hacking the DirectX 9 driver code. I doubt the author of it cares very much for our Macs, and I don't think it would be an easy thing to make knowing how many impediments there are in Mac code. Heck, if you tried hacking the Unity graphics layer, you might set off the Punkbuster code! :) Anyhow, I am just thankful that I don't have to use my Linux box for TS anymore; better to have it all on the same machine, and not split halfway accross the room.

P.S. jackdnls' date=' that TS Overlay is a seperate program made for Windows boxes by hacking the DirectX 9 driver code. I doubt the author of it cares very much for our Macs, and I don't think it would be an easy thing to make knowing how many impediments there are in Mac code.[/quote']

Ahh, I see. thanx for the info. It really isnt THAT big of deal really.

I usually just tab out of the game for a sec to see whose dialog is highlighting when they talk and soon I can recognize new voices too. It would just be an added benefit to have an overlay - not that much of problem really.

Just posted an update (v1.1.1) to the BoF Map widget that adds a 'cycling' feature. Enjoy.

s! dog3

Great widgets, thank you for providing them for us! If you plan on revamping the RPD widget anytime soon, can you please make it use less screen real-estate?

Yeah, I know, create art, and everyone's a critic :) Love em both, but i'm running seriously low on widget space!

I'm hoping to start using Teamspeex soon - only to listen for the moment as I have no mic, but even that will help!

However I'm curious - since my Squad's TS server has several channels how can I switch from, say, Fire Team 1 to Fire Team 5, when in game? Can I run WWII in a window so I can access the Teamspeex control panel?

Cheers!

I'm hoping to start using Teamspeex soon - only to listen for the moment as I have no mic, but even that will help!

However I'm curious - since my Squad's TS server has several channels how can I switch from, say, Fire Team 1 to Fire Team 5, when in game? Can I run WWII in a window so I can access the Teamspeex control panel?

You can now command-tab to switch apps while in WWIIOL, as you can in any other mac application, although there's a slight delay. Works fine for me though. Running in windowed mode (if you can?) would probably kill your frame rate.

As for a mic, if you can spring for it, the iSight works great, captures stereo sound even! Not sure what 3rd party compatible mics are out there. My teammates say it sounds like i'm in the same room. To me, some of them sound like they've swallowed or are sitting on their mic :D

Thanks Chump,

I've found the apple tab thing does work, but it's tricky getting back in to WWII. Workable though, so nice one.

As for a mic I'm probably going to go for a headset with integrated mic as I need to be pretty quiet at nights - got a 15 month old daughter sleeping not too far away and, though I reckon she'd sleep through my chattering best not risk it!

There are quite a few Mac compatible options besides iSight and some of the cheapest I've seen are available directly from the Skype website. So job, as they say, is a good 'un. Or will be shortly.

Back to bugs - 9 out of 10 times when I try to get in game the progress bar sits on connecting without ever moving. I have to force quit then try again, usually only once, sometimes twice. Bit irritating!

Great widgets, thank you for providing them for us! If you plan on revamping the RPD widget anytime soon, can you please make it use less screen real-estate?

Yeah, I know, create art, and everyone's a critic :) Love em both, but i'm running seriously low on widget space!

Thanks, Chump. If you told that to Steve, he would tell you to just get a bigger screen :cool: but, for you, I'll add resizing to my "to do" list.

I'm still waiting for the Rats to improve access to player and map info. With easier access to info some really interesting stuff/apps are possible. At the moment, extracting data from the Rats is kinda clunky™. Now that he has the sound all fixed, I need to get Ahwulf to get started on a new project.

Thanks' date=' Chump. If you told that to Steve, he would tell you to just get a bigger screen :cool: but, for you, I'll add resizing to my "to do" list.[/quote']

Thanks for taking up the suggestion, and again, thanks for the widgets (they load about 2x faster than the WWIIOL homepage, the slowest server on the net!).

Hope you get what u need from da rats!

Controller mate for mapping keys: http://www.orderedbytes.com/

I could not get wwiiol to recognise all the buttons on my Saitek X52 stick. With controller mate I could for example map teamspeex to a X52 button. Sweet!

Right now I have my 2nd Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick. It's a bit sloppy, and the buttons on the R side of the base really do me no good because they're out of reach. I also have to grease up the pivot ball once in a while, it gets gritty as it wears. But for the money ($30), not a bad stick.

I've been hoping to take to the skies more often though and am looking for something a bit better and have been eyeing the up X52, the lack of Mac software kinda discoured me. Before I drop $100 on a joystick can you please tell me (us) how you like it overall, pros and cons, and if controllermate leaves any software gaps?

Thanks!

WWII fighters are pretty simple planes, so the basic button functionality of a decent joystick are all you need for the fighters. The only thing I've needed ControllerMate for was to create a simple macro to jump to bombardier, drop a bomb and jump back to pilot. That's essential if you want to do carpet bombings rather than just dropping everything at once.

I haven't tried the X52, but I've been using CH Products fighter stick, throttle and rudders for the past 10 years. The fighter stick and throttle have been flawless (only had to replace them because Apple switched from ADB to USB). The rudders I haven't been so lucky with, I've had a couple DOA and one with a toe break that failed, but I consider it essential and hope my current ones hold up;)

Right now I have my 2nd Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick. It's a bit sloppy, and the buttons on the R side of the base really do me no good because they're out of reach. I also have to grease up the pivot ball once in a while, it gets gritty as it wears. But for the money ($30), not a bad stick.

I've been hoping to take to the skies more often though and am looking for something a bit better and have been eyeing the up X52, the lack of Mac software kinda discoured me. Before I drop $100 on a joystick can you please tell me (us) how you like it overall, pros and cons, and if controllermate leaves any software gaps?

Thanks!

Hi,

sorry for a slow reply, as I missed your question here.

I think the X52 works very well on Mac OS X. X52 has a fantastic number of buttons available, and only about 4 do not work directly with wwiiol. All of the buttons are recognised by Mac OS X, so you can fix that easily with controllermate.

The stick itself is good. Tuning the axises takes some time, but those settings are typically very personal. U can easily fly with the defaults, and work your way from there.

My only dislike was the rather sloppy stick movement, which is cause by a loose tensioning spring (the one directly under the stick handle. It was easy to tune with a few strips of cardboard : ) Easy and cheap.

I recommend X52 for Mac pilots!

By george, that's it... I think rudder pedals would be a lot of fun, then I can map my joystick RZ axis to ailerons (hopefully)! Can they also be used for tank tread clutches/brakes? Either way, I just odered one up, time will tell!

Then, when another $100 comes my way it's either the X52 or a CH stick :)

Thanks to both of u for the advice

I got Logitech Wingman Force 3D here and it actually "force feedbacks" in this game. It has OS X kernel driver installed by Apple too:

"ForceFeedback:

Version: 1.0.1

Last Modified: 01.10.2005 06:24

Get Info String: 1.0.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2002-2003

Location: /System/Library/Frameworks/ForceFeedback.framework"

It uses "immersion" mechanism btw. http://www.immersion.com/gaming/video_pc/platforms/pc/joysticks_wheels_gamepads.php

I got Logitech Wingman Force 3D here and it actually "force feedbacks" in this game. It has OS X kernel driver installed by Apple too

How does the feedback feel? Is it always the same rumbling, or does it vary by how hard you take a hit? Sounds interesting... My choice of joysticks is up in the air right now.

I was given an X45 and wondered if anyone can advise setting the macros for bombing. If I get the macos set right ... and you hear a bomber IB, look up and you'll see me (Glock) bringing death below.

When I play and am in the AB with a ton of ET's, I'd wish I had a bomber. If over run of AB is emminent, I'll fly from as far away as I need to bomb an AB packed with ET's. Maybe, it'll make 'em think before camping inside an AB.

So you are using a Saitek X45? How do you calibrate it? Dont you even need to do it? I have purchased one and find that spins to left side... I do not know what to do to make that joystick usable. Can you help me?

So you are using a Saitek X45? How do you calibrate it? Dont you even need to do it? I have purchased one and find that spins to left side... I do not know what to do to make that joystick usable. Can you help me?

It should calibrate itself if you move it thought the full range of motion on every axis and let it center. Sometimes you have to do it twice. But it doesn't require you to use the config proggie, you can do it in the game.

On a side note, see this thread... http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showpost.php?p=1937082&postcount=24

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0