• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
kc23

New rig suggestions

25 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions on a new desktop rig. I have a good desktop video card, case, but need new motherboard, cpu, ram and power supply to put it together.

Or a good full rig that is a good value.

Any help (especially with links ) appreciated.

if you can wait till the holidays AMD's next CPU 'might' be out. Worst case it forces Intel to bring down prices, best case it greatly closes the performance gap and is an even better value play.

if not, Intel is your only real performance option ATM.

Graphics card is not so important for this game, I'd get an Intel CPU though as this game is single trhead and the AMD CPUs don't perform as well per core.

I saw today that AMD is about to introduce a video card with a 1 terabyte frame buffer connected to the GPU via high speed PCIe. It can do 7680 x 4320 screen res at 90 fps. I suppose it'll be a while before CRS is ready to support that kind of data rate.

Ended up getting a Lenovo Y900.

$899 i7 4.0gb cpu, 256gig SSD, 650watt ps,

Threw my old HD in it as well.

Spent another $140 on 32g ram of DD4 2666

Already owned a Nvidia 4gig 970.

Quiet like no computer I've ever owned before. I mean whisper quiet. I have caught myself checking to make sure the fans were on multiple times as I was putting it together. Really nice non-liquid cooling set up. Great intake in the front and exhaust out the rear design with very easy fan screen cleaning (removable) both front and back (under PS actually).

Played last night with everything maxed and was getting well over 100fps and typically inbetween 135-145 fps.

I'm very happy with my set up. Very happy.

Ended up getting a Lenovo Y900.

$899 i7 4.0gb cpu, 256gig SSD, 650watt ps,

Threw my old HD in it as well.

Spent another $140 on 32g ram of DD4 2666

Already owned a Nvidia 4gig 970.

Quiet like no computer I've ever owned before. I mean whisper quiet. I have caught myself checking to make sure the fans were on multiple times as I was putting it together. Really nice non-liquid cooling set up. Great intake in the front and exhaust out the rear design with very easy fan screen cleaning (removable) both front and back (under PS actually).

Played last night with everything maxed and was getting well over 100fps and typically inbetween 135-145 fps.

I'm very happy with my set up. Very happy.

grats! make sure to check in BIOS that the RAM is running at max speed, else it might slow your PC down a lot. these are not always set correct by default!

I just got a Gigabyte z170X gaming 3 motherboard, Intel I5 6600k, and 8gb of Hyper X memory. I am still running an older GTX 660 graphics card because I can't decide on which card to go with.

On low settings I have hit 245FPS and on high settings I have never dipped below 55 during the hottest fights.

Going with the new skylake build has been the best decision I could have made. I have always owned AMD boards/cpu's but they don't compare to this I5 6600k in single core performance.

I also finally switched over to use an SSD, yeah I'm a little late on that change. They are incredibly fast though. I can boot WWIIOL in roughly 5 secs when it would take 30+ with my old HDD.

Nice rig, but with that Lenovo mobo, everything on your computer is going to the Chinese!

(sorry, my tinfoil hat jumped on my head!)

VR

Nice rig, but with that Lenovo mobo, everything on your computer is going to the Chinese!

(sorry, my tinfoil hat jumped on my head!)

VR

Serious question, are there any motherboards not made in China? I've owned several different brands and can't recall one that wasn't made there.

Taiwan is not China just fyi. Taiwan is officially the "Republic of China" which is not the same thing as the mainland which is "The People's Republic of China". Taiwanese standards for employees etc are better than China but that isn't saying a whole lot.

However the answer is not that I'm aware of. There used to be Japanese and I think one European mobo maker but that was a LONG time ago.

That said, Taiwan typically makes the higher end motherboards where China makes the lower end at significantly higher volume. Also, foxconn makes lots of parts that are used in Taiwanese made motherboards so you can't really get away from Chinese parts entirely.

grats! make sure to check in BIOS that the RAM is running at max speed, else it might slow your PC down a lot. these are not always set correct by default!

Thanks for the tip. Not sure how to check the BIOS, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure how to check the BIOS, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere.

It's right in front of your face when the system boots, the part where it says Press X button for BIOS setup before it blips by.

Usually it's F1.

It's right in front of your face when the system boots, the part where it says Press X button for BIOS setup before it blips by.

Usually it's F1.

Checked it out, but couldn't find how to check ram speed, but I'm not really all that concerned. This thing is absurdly fast anyway.

Usually it's F1.

It --USED-- to be right in front of your face.... Its probably buried in 5 layers of manufacturer's branding, If you even see it, with all the direct boot options they have these days...

Worth checking for sure... When you up the RAM speed, sometimes you also need to throw a little more voltage at it to make it work though... Most the modern systems are pretty smart... but just be a little careful, you can fry it...

--------

That processor will certainly help, cause as StdyHand pointed out game uses single core....Ive found over the years it is all about that clock speed (and cache) of CPU for WW2OL...

My older 4790K based rig with its 4.4ghz single core performance, even performs marginally better than my new rig, with the lower 4.2ghz single core performance the newer 6700K spits out...

My GPU's are the same in both (I split a pair of GPU's when I wanted a 2nd rig, to save $$$)

And although the 16GB RAM size is the same... and the new rig does have DDR4 and the old one only DDR3, the newer ram doesn't appear to quite make up for the extra CPU speed the older girl is pushing...

Anyone trying to spec for the game only... IMO needs to focus on CPU (CLOCK SPEED,CACHE)-->RAM-->MB and save the money on the GPU....MB needs to be just good enough to support the CPU and RAM targetted... nothing more...

I seen so many people pi^^ away money on MB's with extra specs they dont need... always work out where is the bottleneck in a system, and don't pay overs...

WW2 appears to use a LOT more on the CPU than the other modern games, and doesn't appear to shift off the workload from CPU to GPU like other more modern FPS games do...

Using the above info.... You --can--- build a rig for quite cheap for WW2 and get blistering performance out of old hardware for the game... That rig though is usually not good for almost anything else...

-------------------------------

Nice rig that for a manufacturer off the shelf though KC23... will serve well... Other than one batch of bad BIOS's I had a couple of years back... Company I worked for as used Lenovo's for a decade or more... and many take a beating but keep on trucking for even 5-6 years

(I still prefer Toshiba laptops, but thats a whole other wall of text)

Kare

Edited by karellean

Checked it out, but couldn't find how to check ram speed, but I'm not really all that concerned. This thing is absurdly fast anyway.

There is a program you can download called CPU-Z that will tell you your CPU, Memory, etc. and the speed and timings at which it is operating. It is a very small download and lightweight program that uses 4.6mb of memory when running, not that you would constantly have it running since it is only meant to give quick info.

I had a Phenom II 940 x4 that was overclocked to 3.4ghz and despite everything being on low settings the game often had very low FPS. I had 4gb of memory and a GTX 660(currently still run this card). At the most I averaged 60-70 frames and often stuttered in heavy fights, dropping to 25FPS. The CPU often had a single core maxed out.

Today my I5-6600k at 3.5ghz has no stutters and WWIIOL has not used more than a 40% load. The only real difference has been the CPU. Were talking roughly the same speeds but the FPS difference in game during a heavy battle has tipped largely to this Intel CPU.

I'll admit I don't know much about CPU architecture and I don't want to turn this into an AMD vs. Intel thread but speed for speed this Intel, though it is my first ever, has far superior performance for a single core.

I had a Phenom II 940 x4 that was overclocked to 3.4ghz and despite everything being on low settings the game often had very low FPS. I had 4gb of memory and a GTX 660(currently still run this card). At the most I averaged 60-70 frames and often stuttered in heavy fights, dropping to 25FPS. The CPU often had a single core maxed out.

Today my I5-6600k at 3.5ghz has no stutters and WWIIOL has not used more than a 40% load. The only real difference has been the CPU. Were talking roughly the same speeds but the FPS difference in game during a heavy battle has tipped largely to this Intel CPU.

I'll admit I don't know much about CPU architecture and I don't want to turn this into an AMD vs. Intel thread but speed for speed this Intel, though it is my first ever, has far superior performance for a single core.

Intel's architecture favors gaming type workloads, AMD is more about running cooler and cheaper.

Used to be the opposite, but AMD outclevered themselves.

AMD's soon to be released CPU is set to change that - in theory and don't hold your breath but they have made major changes.

this is good news as it should pressure intel and then we all benefit with lower prices - theoretically.

just saying if anyone is in the market for a completely new system around the holidays/first of the year do research AMD's Xen CPUs.

AMD's soon to be released CPU is set to change that - in theory and don't hold your breath but they have made major changes.

this is good news as it should pressure intel and then we all benefit with lower prices - theoretically.

just saying if anyone is in the market for a completely new system around the holidays/first of the year do research AMD's Xen CPUs.

Thanks for the info. I have been running an AMD FX-6120 3.50 GHz with 10GB Ram and I have never topped 60-70 FPS (Granted, I am using an NVidia GeForce GTX-550Ti, but still)I never considered that the processor could be the problem.

If AMD is putting out a better processor for gaming, I will be a happier camper.

I briefly heard about this somewhere else. The competition is badly needed. Reports on some of AMD's latest CPU's are that they are incredibly hot, even with water cooling.

I use a Cryorig H5 cooler and it keeps the 6600k at 42c under load which was the idle temp of the Phenom II 940.

I was also curious what affect an SSD has on WWIIOL aside from faster load times, assuming any.

I read an article about people using SSD for WoT and due to the ability to read data from the SSD faster it improved FPS by roughly 10-/+. Granted all the maps are downloaded to your SSD in WoT. I don't know what read/write would be taking place in WWIIOL except screen shots.

SSD shouldn't affect FPS in any game at all. if it does the game is poorly optimized or something is wrong with the system. streaming data from disk into ram can easily be handled by 5400rpm drives loading is all it helps with. that said SSD is the single greatest QoL upgrade for any/all computers. makes everything SOOO much better.

i have at least one SSD in all my computers. also will be moving my 'game data' to seagate SSHD disks. the new ones have 32GB of NVRAM for read cache and behind that 1TB of space. I'll use this for those hardly run apps games etc as anything served from that 32GB cache acts almost exactly like a normal SSD.