lemkeh

Some thoughts about the bunker

17 posts in this topic

From the roadmap

bunker1.png

bunker3.jpg

bunker4.jpg

Some thoughts about the bunker.

I would suggest to make it at least a little darker. Also i suggest to use for interior similar textures....imho, very common in that era.

TEX0040_530x300px.jpg?1370016150

Next suggestion is about using some epochal pictures, to decorate bunker. I mean posters about actresses from 30es and 40s. With names, to add a little historical aura and add a little opportunity to study that era.

Now about harder work.

In my view, such bunkers require additional armored cupolas (they might be retractable in and out, and roundabout). To use light weapons, binoculars...with less risk from enemy's fire

Also in many bunkers was possibility to use periscope. The stationary periscope, retractable through armored hatch. To have a view of 360 degrees.

Also, there was such things like "the mortar bunker". Mostly such mortars was big and stationary mortars. Because,IIRC, we can't currently use stationary weapons, then is two variants.

First fits more to naval bunker (imho), where might be team of AI mortarmen, which can fire from such big Mortar. Destroyable from inside, by a grenade or rifle fire.

For the Army Base,imho, fits more place in bunker (openable hatch or so) for regular mortarman, who can fire then through this hatch. Of course, this mortarman needs also a periscope.

Logically, not all those features was presented in every bunker in IRL. There were tons of different configurations. But, to avoid too costly work, in game most of those features might be presented in one (two) model.

Why so many features in one bunker? I guess, some of them really need to be interchangeable with each other, nothing strange in it.

Also, guarding of the bunker needs to be at least a little be interesting, a little close to armor game. Yes, at least a little...

Edited by lemkeh

i would also love some variations, here you see that this bunker is inside another "bunker+net" thing, this is what i want some places too :)

and maybe the mortar bunkers would be nice too? :)

wow i forgot about the old bunkers , they were harder to take for sure cool video

I also think that the interior should be darker, but not so much out of aesthetics or realism but so that it's not suicide to go near the firing slits. With such a white background it will be easy to snipe someone and defenders will avoid instead of use them. I like the idea of mortars but I think that sandbags on the top of the 2nd floor to make a place for firing mortars, with a ramp from the inside would be a lot simpler to add.

The best thing about the old bunker wasn't that it looked good but that it's design hampered the effectiveness of lag exploitation via long hallways. The other big design consideration is whether the bunker is to be a defensible structure with some influence over the army base area, or just a sealed nut that has to be cracked open by attackers. Good firing ports, a safe spot to launch mortars, other things would allow that.

Also the company should probably post this on the frontpage or on it's subreddit, or on facebook, or on twitter, or somewhere. "Hey, we're changing one of the basic capture buildings of the game, this will mean improved infantry combat" is more exciting than dot command additions and raising the cloud layer to 2km and such.

Personally, I can't wait for them to sprinkle these around in the game.

What I DO NOT want to see, is this one model simply be switched out as the only bunker.

The game needs the diversity of the different bunker types, so if they sprinkle them around the map, similarly to how they are now split between the farmhouses and the 2 story buildings, I will be happy.

What I DO NOT want to see, is this one model simply be switched out as the only bunker.

The game needs the diversity of the different bunker types, so if they sprinkle them around the map, similarly to how they are now split between the farmhouses and the 2 story buildings, I will be happy.

Agreed.

1 building pattern = 1 fixed model. Can't change that.

Only the destroyed state offres a second model for the same building pattern

That was the small one. There was another covered in camo nets that was neigh impregnable, because it had multiple overlapping murder holes that would put attackers in a cross fire.

Plus it was so big that tanks had a hard time camping it.

Most of all, AFAIK, no one ever managed to clip an AA gun through the walls of one.

I add a rough picture about additional hatches for the bunker. In my view, this would be central sector of second floor of bunker. Maybe something like here.

gTeFYHc.png

My main purpose of this is simple - it would be relatively cheap way to involve into game more poly-crewing/multi-crewing etc. Then people who will guard in bunker, will have some tools to make meaningful teamwork. And this building will become at least some sort of bunker, which was designed to last much longer than a tank etc.

OK, IRL such bunkers had many features, which don't have many meaning in game, due limits of game engine, or relatively cheapness soldier's life in game.

Such as flamethrower on the roof, to clean roof and very close area from enemy soldiers. The emergency exits, some onto roof, filled by sand or gravel, to avoid using them by enemies. Excessive air pressure in bunker, to avoid the use of poison gas against bunker crew. Underground floors. Generators for autonomous existence. Kerosene lamps, when all electric systems will collapse. etc.etc.

But that don't mean, that we should not try to make it as a real obstacle on enemy road.

What about the Mortars in bunker, then i guess, they will add also some interesting elements for defending and add a little variety in scenarios of battles around army bases (and navy bases).

Here is one picture about automatic mortar bunker.

IIuoaQ5.jpg

And here is a site, where is one variant, which might be used in game as the place in bunker for the regular mortarman.

mortarringstand_solid_iso.jpg

http://www.crypticcypher.com/blog/?page_id=97

What about lights, then yeah, i too want them in game. Lights for trucks in night drive. Spotlights on the towers. Searchlights, to combing the sky. Illumination rounds for Mortars. The flare guns for HC or ML. etc

But, IIRC, current engine don't allow many of such stuff.

just different types of bunkers, also dinant should have the old castle as capturable base.

btw, anyone wants bigger mortars to the game? it would be cool to have both, maybe f2p would have the little mortars, big ones for paying customers and from tier 1 or 2? :) i would like heavy mortars instead if we cannot get artillery guns yet. actually there is nothing much to do but 3d models and modify the weapon specs?

Yep, different types of bunkers would be good. But, as we heard, devs have some problems with "reworking" of terrain. IRL the bunkers (in most cases) had critical requirements for using of the terrain, relief etc. Also many of them had underground tonnels or at least trenches. Not sure this work can be done in close perspective.

That's why i concentrated on some kind of "city bunker" , which would be in AB, as main CP. And I'm trying to make so, that its guarding and battles for it will bringing more satisfaction.

PS. Current AB central building might match as a City CP in some cities, imho.

PS 2. Although, some bunkers might be set around airfields (some of them even AAA bunkers), which would be targets more for the planes, than for armors or infantry. Also there might be fuel tanks (protected somewhat from armor and infantry, maybe by ground embankment around them). Destroying them by bombs will reduce fuel capacity in enemy airplanes, which will spawn on current aerodrome. Additional gameplay for air players.

Agree with the beauty actor advertising, it is best to wear bikini
Proposed killing the enemy can get naked photos of beautiful women from him:cool::cool:

Fortifications, bunkers, and pillboxes are a stable in Europe.  They are ALL OVER the place!

Unfortunately, BGE has has the worst bunker designs!
Unhistorical, inaccurate, and even unusable.

Years ago I provided many examples and some suggested drawing for a bunker, been trying to find them.

On 7/27/2016 at 1:33 AM, Zebbeee said:

1 building pattern = 1 fixed model. Can't change that.

Only the destroyed state offres a second model for the same building pattern

NOPE!

It is true currently there is limited to just 2 footprints for AB cap buildings (say AB1 and AB2), that can be changed.
what is needed is someone to go to every AB (200 of them?) and create a new foot print designation (+ AB3, AB4, AB5, etc).

This will take a lot of work since the game has hundreds of cities, and some cities have more than 1 AB in it.

On 8/4/2016 at 4:23 PM, lemkeh said:

Yep, different types of bunkers would be good. But, as we heard, devs have some problems with "reworking" of terrain. IRL the bunkers (in most cases) had critical requirements for using of the terrain, relief etc. Also many of them had underground tonnels or at least trenches. Not sure this work can be done in close perspective.

That's why i concentrated on some kind of "city bunker" , which would be in AB, as main CP. And I'm trying to make so, that its guarding and battles for it will bringing more satisfaction.

PS. Current AB central building might match as a City CP in some cities, imho.

PS 2. Although, some bunkers might be set around airfields (some of them even AAA bunkers), which would be targets more for the planes, than for armors or infantry. Also there might be fuel tanks (protected somewhat from armor and infantry, maybe by ground embankment around them). Destroying them by bombs will reduce fuel capacity in enemy airplanes, which will spawn on current aerodrome. Additional gameplay for air players.

Fortifications, bunkers, and pillboxes are a stable in Europe.  They are ALL OVER the place!

Unfortunately, BGE has has the worst bunker designs!
Unhistorical, inaccurate, and even unusable.

Years ago I provided many examples and some suggested drawing for a bunker, been trying to find them and repost.

HOWEVER:
the game has 2 types of "AB Bunkers", "Small" and "Large".  
The Small one is inside walled AB's, is the 2 story house.
Large one was the "underground bunker" (now the farm house), but in reality it was NOT underground but a huge building on top of the hard terrain of game. 

Edited by frantish