• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
doggy

Can we do this?

8 posts in this topic

Low pop side ML should have the capability to place a static position AI of tanks/light LMGs/SmG etc ANYWHERE in either the attacking or defending objective. Obviously, there would be a limit as to how many times he can do this. This will prevent steam rolling over the low pop side and would provide a challenge to the high pop side as these AI's will need to be eliminated. These AI's will have a fairly accurate shot but can be killed with one good placement of a shot. Tank AI's will be stationary as well, but it's turret can rotate to kill. One should not be able to distinguished wether it's an AI or an actual player.

This action depicts a leader who commands the placement of his equipment.

Just like on offline mode you would press the spacebar and your AI is placed.

Team Fortress 2 has this capability so I can't imagine this game can't have this too.

I don't believe lower capture times will help low pop sides as they will be easily killed with so many enemy around attacking. Also, I abhor the fact that there is NOTHING to shoot at because of the enemy is low pop! At least having to try and kill an AI makes a defended town/fb more "target rich" and also makes it more of a challenge.

Thank you for writing that up, now I don't have to. I was going to post this idea, as I think it may be the best way to deal with side imbalance, and it has a lot of other game play potential as well. For example one natural evolution of the idea would be the ability for non-mission leaders to spawn into these units, which could help against camping, and let the lo-pop side deploy more rapidly. This could lead to player placed and spawnable ai in general, and is a natural compliment to eventually having player placed permanent bases.

Problems with the idea would be the when, what and where of placement. It would hardly be fair for a group of bazookas to suddenly appear behind advancing armor. Neither would it be fair for ai to be placed in such a way as to take advantage of an ability to see and shoot through bushes and berms and such. If a good set of rules could be employed that make its placement reasonable I think it would be a great idea with great potential.

I can't speak for other game communities, but CRS customers have never liked fighting AI.

The game advertises PvP, and generally that's what the customers want.

Plus, CRS is always accused of bias by the attackers for making the AI too lethal, and sometimes by the the defenders for nerfing the AI so it isn't lethal enough.

I don't like the AI we have now. Is it needed, unfortunately yes, doesn't mean I like it. Now you're proposing in addition to ATG pits and Ai towers we need even more AI that is even more deadly? No thank you.

Using the concept of offline clones with such capabilities but with some limitations regarding distance and accuracy?

The combined programming/marketing problem with AI defenders in a PvP game is: either the AI is more deadly than human players, or it's gimped in a precisely known way, or it behaves randomly.

None of those make for very good gameplay. Even gimped AI can slaughter noobs who haven't learned about its lethality-limitations because they don't take the time to learn the game before they play. Thus the AI probably costs the game a few greentags who get blown away a bunch of times, get frustrated and leave. It frustrates even veterans when it pops back to life in the middle of a battle, when that action is illogical given the position of the various forces.

And, random AI would be unsatisfactory for everyone, but especially defenders since they couldn't count on it to be as effective as a human player.

There's just no way, at CRS's programming-resource level, to program AI that is indistinguishable from human players and thus would fit into the game smoothly.

Edited by jwilly

As much as overpop can suck for the underpopped side, adding these AI units is not a good idea.

While there already is AI in the game, obviously most of it is very limited in function. AAA is the most effective(sometimes...) as it should be. MG towers lock on like a heat seeking missile if you run into their line of sight, but other than that can be easily removed. Let's not even talk about ATG AI which I haven't seen do anything useful(excluding the coastal 88s) in years.

Creating useful, but also fair AI is not an easy accomplishment. Most video game AI are either incredibly overpowered, or the exact opposite(sometimes both). There are too many factors in a game like this to add these AI units. This is a game meant to be completely ran by the players out on the field. Most people are used to fighting other human beings. Not a lot of us are interested in fighting an army of AI, even if the other team only has a few players on.

Now obviously the AI units were created to help defenders, especially when they have lower populations, but no AI ever stopped a massive attack against an underpopped team. Mostly they just delay softcaps a little bit, or lessen the amount of approaches for enemies to make it easier for FRU hunting.

I personally don't believe adding those AI units will help the underpopped team at the end of the day, unless the AI were made to be extremely overpowered, which then just creates more issues than it solves. So again, I understand being on the underpopulated team can suck sometimes, but this isn't the solution. Almost every single open world PvP game out there has these exact same issues with one side becoming too powerful. These are inherent issues with MMOs. CRS has just as much trouble dealing with these issues as any other PvP MMO developer.

Planetside 2 was having these issues as well, and never really fixed them. They did however eventually add base building with automated units that could be built to defend. Maybe CRS could eventually expand PPOs(which I believe they might be currently doing) to allow placement of MG towers/pits within a certain distance of a town with a DO. So maybe not for an attack, since people could place them by their FRU or in the future the FMS. For a defense though I think being able to place maybe a maximum of 5-10 or so MG AI around a town would be kind of cool. It would likely have to be limited to HC being able to place them though.

Edited by zgunner12