• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
pbveteran

Why did you hate the Infantry FRU?

35 posts in this topic

So I'm one of those players that really enjoy the infantry FRU, for me since 2005 setting a mobile spawn was less about skill and more about luck, infantry placed FRUs added more dynamic gameplay to the process of setting a mobile spawn, skill, new tactics and was considerable less frustrating than truck only FRUs at least in my point of view.

I'm both a tanker and infantry player good in each even when we had 15 RPATs on the list.

Anyways the only bad point I can find about Infantry FRUs was that each had access to the full brigade list of supply which would unrealistic prolong battles and could make them also look unrealistic especially on lower population zones, the enemy could already had made it to the FB but because one infantry lived it kept opening a mobile spawn.

So in the current terms it's more likely that if you still have a truck placed FRUs there is still some degree of Zone of Control..

But this is basically it for me, these same cons also meant making an AO was less player intensive and could provide a much higher chance to generate gameplay for both infantry and tankers while also making old AO's still viable.

The other point raised was that there were less incentive to tow but this in my eyes is a symptom of unlimited access to the brigade list, if the supply on an infantry FRU would be spent much faster there would be a need to drive a new one which would add more opportunities for towing Guns.

So what I want to know is what other players felt were bad things or cons from the infantry FRU? If you want to compared to truck only FRUs it would be great as well.

Edited by pbveteran

It killed the ATG and tank game. Have 4 players on separate missions adn when they spot ETs set a fru and everyone jumps on with sappers, ATR or ATS. Same against ATG. Instant army behind your gunline with no work.

All the battles in the cities. The fights that happen between the town and the FB tend to be WAY more interesting and fun than run around in town, die and repeat.

1 person likes this

They were awful, instant army because someone was sneaky, ruined and sort of ATG/Armor etc, may as well just be COD with them FRU's

Infantry FRUs got taken out because they made it difficult to bottle up the defender(this ruined US prime time armor zergs) and they made it possible for lower population to get a battle going and capture towns. This mean more map movement outside US prime and especially in TZ3.

1 person likes this

I disliked them because they essentially rendered any kind of non-zerg attack useless as a single player could get out of town and around the flank to emplace a standing army behind the line of advance.  While a good attack should include rear and flank security, having a magic ninja box arrive behind an attack should be the exception rather than the norm.

1 person likes this

what they should have done was just make inf fru so you could only spawn like 40 rifles , it wouldn't be able to take out tanks with that spwnalist , and maybe limit there placement  keeping them in front of there fb aheading into town so they couldn't just spawn any where. you would still have a front line.  But again shortsighness again.

there were lots of complex, convoluted, and intricate suggestions... a easy fix is best, their down to a handful of paid staff after all.

I disagree the inf fru should have been kept around but adjusted to keep inf engaged when you don't have a huge tank game around to suppress a town.   Now you have inf basically doing nothing at times waiting on tank support.  instead of making  it a win- win for the game it became a tank, atgun thing versu inf. just stupid.

31 minutes ago, matamor said:

I am not against putting INF fru back if all supplies provided from them are only bolt rifles.

I agree

there your solution was easy.  and if you go further you could limit there arc of placement of inf fru from town or fb to creat a natural frontline with riflemen rushing a town.  Any tanker now spawning would have inf  front creating a nice attacking force. you still need the opel for hvy guns full spawlist and enhance the game  everybody wins,

Edited by twobad44
addition

8 hours ago, twobad44 said:

I disagree the inf fru should have been kept around but adjusted to keep inf engaged when you don't have a huge tank game around to suppress a town.   Now you have inf basically doing nothing at times waiting on tank support.  instead of making  it a win- win for the game it became a tank, atgun thing versu inf. just stupid.

Attacks not being possible without lots of tanks was and is seen as a good thing by most of the remaining playerbase here.

the inf fru+sappers/RPAT damage is done, most core tankers are gone. i only recognize around 8 now, my backup warpony ragequit hard after a BS RPAT fb camp set up by a lone inf.

most tankers now sit back too far for K/D or charge in willy nilly, absolutely no tactics...

6 hours ago, major0noob said:

the inf fru+sappers/RPAT damage is done, most core tankers are gone. i only recognize around 8 now, my backup warpony ragequit hard after a BS RPAT fb camp set up by a lone inf.

most tankers now sit back too far for K/D or charge in willy nilly, absolutely no tactics...

Yes, i agree...thats one big Point...i have always been a tankplayer Primary and thats over now. All the fights are in the cities now and tanks dont belong there.

Where are the open field battles? Where are the good old times with the Opel/Beddy runs? where is the coop between Tanks and Inf?

Imo the game should step back a Little and get rid of the Fru's....if someone wants to Play a quick Action shooter, there are other games with better graphics to Play this style.

Its bad enough that most of the good old tactic Players from the past are gone. Im really missing the teamplay between the different weapon types (Air, Marine, Inf, Tanks).

This game wents more and more into a larger Kind of DoD or BF....but it wasnt meant to and it shouldnt. Fru's are not the only reason for that...but one of it.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, major0noob said:

I really doubt tankers left because of RPATs most that I know were because of CRS not RPATs.. Tankers -> Veterans

There were 2 schools of tanks, the unbutton commander and the commander inside the tank the latter was already obsolete  with FRUs and became not viable, tanking is all about situational awareness and the commander is 90% of it.

I hated it cause it was an instant army out of a box. It made natural obstacles obsolete like a river.  Why bomb a bridge when one or 2 sneaky ML set up FRUs and the battle was on. 

At least now we get to fight over bridges again and the attacking force actually has to either drive around to set up a MS or rebuild the Bridge by combining units and do Teamplay.

I once as an ML rifleman placed a new FRU I found behind an enemy tank. I despawned and spawned back in as a sapper.

Say no more.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, smythes said:

I once as an ML rifleman placed a new FRU I found behind an enemy tank. I despawned and spawned back in as a sapper.

Say no more.

this times 10, it was soo bad the 4 sappers then 4 RPATS had more tanks kills than tanks.

there were 20 RPAT's in a flag when they were first introduced too, enough to take out a armor flag with today's K/D

On 9/7/2016 at 6:05 PM, pbveteran said:

I really doubt tankers left because of RPATs most that I know were because of CRS not RPATs.. Tankers -> Veterans

There were 2 schools of tanks, the unbutton commander and the commander inside the tank the latter was already obsolete  with FRUs and became not viable, tanking is all about situational awareness and the commander is 90% of it.

You would be surprised. Most of the serious ATG and tank players I knew either quit tanking or left the game due to that. The rest left due to burnout or HSNBN.

And situational awareness meant little against infantry frus. When inf could setup a fru 30 feet from a tank behind a bush. Then zerg rush a tank with 2-3 sappers. Tank go boom. I know cause I did it alot after I quit tanking.

Most of the guys who have made their case in the removal of infantry based fru's have spoke for us.

I will say that this utilization of the Game Ideas & Suggestions forum is once again, inaccurate. This is a discussion post for something that happened, it is not a new suggestion for something to the game by default, though within you may find some suggestions.

Please read the forum rules @pbveteran and use the many other forums we have for discussion items that are not NEW game ideas.

S!

Yeah, having one sneaky infantryman set up a hole in the ground where an entire flag's infantry could hop out was lame. 

Sitting in a tank, being sapped and as you spiral out... you see the EFRU right behind you.

WEAK.

Now, if they would only fix the "trucks rolling for 4k without the engine on" bullcrap I'll be a happy guy.

Nothing like seeing a Morris behind the vehicle tent after hearing charges go off... when you heard an engine like five minutes ago in the opposite direction. I would argue that the frictionless rolling is killing the game, slowly... death by a thousand cuts.

Anyone ever driven their car and killed the ignition switch to see how far they could keep rolling while doing 35mph?

Hint: It's NOT 4km... it's not 2km... it's like 400ft on level ground and that's on PAVEMENT. Never mind off road. That crap sucks.

1 person likes this

On 9/15/2016 at 6:41 AM, XOOM said:

Most of the guys who have made their case in the removal of infantry based fru's have spoke for us.

I will say that this utilization of the Game Ideas & Suggestions forum is once again, inaccurate. This is a discussion post for something that happened, it is not a new suggestion for something to the game by default, though within you may find some suggestions.

Please read the forum rules @pbveteran and use the many other forums we have for discussion items that are not NEW game ideas.

S!

Not sure if possible but in Warthunder you can move threads to different sections of the forums.. It would be great if this could be done here.

FRU should have been a platoon modeled thing

10 to 15 units tops, something like 10 rifle 3 smg 2 lmg

Perhaps in it's next incarnation