• Announcements

    • HEAVY265

      Hells Gate   03/24/2019

      Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
sublimesw

We Need Medics!

54 posts in this topic

I forgot one more VERY important change that needs to be made in order to attract more players: medics. People hate having to walk or drive long distances after dying, so having medics would be a great way to improve gameplay. Arma has this and it works very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sublimesw said:

I forgot one more VERY important change that needs to be made in order to attract more players: medics. People hate having to walk or drive long distances after dying, so having medics would be a great way to improve gameplay. Arma has this and it works very well.

This is not Arma! This isnt a quick fight first Person shooter. If you want something like that, then you might be wrong here.

Hopefully there will never be a medi pack which fill up youre health so you can fight on. Why? because ist not realistic. The day we have a medic hopping around here, giving me an injection and im fully heald is the day i leave this game once and for all. ;)

No offence meaned...but like i said...this is not Arma or Battlefield or something other like that ;)

Patience is a virtue!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I totally understand. I know it's not Arma or a quick FPS. I've been trying to tell my friends that. Trust me, I totally understand. I just think they don't have the patience for it, is all.

I hate quick FPS where you run around and gun others down and take 5 hits and you're still good. Arma is good, but it doesn't have the MMO feel that this does. This game is great. People just need to learn how to play it.

My friends are being really patient. I am teaching them the little I know. I think it's just them wanting to get in and have a good time and get out. Some of the best times playing this (personally) have been on my own, just collaborating with others silently. You need the right people! :)

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we could have medics. 

but before that we need trains.  and civilians. then maybe civilian medics. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Along the years I have seen this suggestion lots of times. Still no see valuable reasons to have medics in game.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get shot in this game, 85% of the time you are dead. 

Medics would be a waste of development time. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see some day at least a medic class that within x time you can get dr'ed up but not like other games that are back to full health. You will take a penalty such as slowed walking or maybe slightly blurred vision.

Just like in WWII the medics patched you up not fixed you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of times I've been wounded lightly, but ended up bleeding. The only thing I can think of is to get a first aid kit for a soldier, so you can stop light or medium bleeding.

But this was only few times from a hundred deaths..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when the game originally was designed, CRS said that they didn't model minor wounds at all. Minor wounds were just assumed to be ignored. The only modeled wounds were those that were almost lethal, or were lethal after a short time, or killed you right away.

So the least serious modeled wound is one that almost kills you...not one that you put a quick bandage on and go back to running and fighting.

WWII medics didn't have any way to make an almost-lethally-wounded soldier able to go back to fighting. If the medic and the soldier were lucky, the bleeding could be stopped well enough to get the wounded man off the battlefield alive and get him back to a field hospital, where they could stabilize him so he could be shipped out to a real hospital.

The point of adding medics shouldn't be to return combat soldiers to fighting. It should be a different type of gameplay...an addition of a non-combat gameplay mode.

A few years ago, game designer gatherings sometimes had as one of their speakers a senior game designer named Lum. His thesis was that marketers of combat games were ignoring potential customers and leaving money on the table if their games had only Fighters and didn't also have Leaders, Logisticians, Builders and Healers.

A few years back, CRS significantly discussed adding Medics, inspired by Lum's marketing analysis. Those Medics weren't going to heal soldiers on the field. They were to have gained points by getting to and stabilizing a downed soldier either before the soldier-player spawns out, in which case the soldier-player gets a one-level-higher despawn, or within a short time after despawn, in which case the medic action has no direct effect on the soldier-player.

There also was some discussion of introducing group morale effects, in which soldiers in a unit that took a casualty would take a morale hit, soldiers in a unit with a medic would have higher morale and soldiers proximal to a medic-save would get a morale boost.  

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jwilly said:

The point of adding medics shouldn't be to return combat soldiers to fighting. It should be a different type of gameplay...an addition of a non-combat gameplay mode.

A few years ago, game designer gatherings sometimes had as one of their speakers a senior game designer named Lum. His thesis was that marketers of combat games were ignoring potential customers and leaving money on the table if their games had only Fighters and didn't also have Leaders, Logisticians, Builders and Healers.

A few years back, CRS significantly discussed adding Medics, inspired by Lum's marketing analysis. Those Medics weren't going to heal soldiers on the field. They were to have gained points by getting to and stabilizing a downed soldier either before the soldier-player spawns out, in which case the soldier-player gets a one-level-higher despawn, or within a short time after despawn, in which case the medic action has no direct effect on the soldier-player.

There also was some discussion of introducing group morale effects, in which soldiers in a unit that took a casualty would take a morale hit, soldiers in a unit with a medic would have higher morale and soldiers proximal to a medic-save would get a morale boost.  

 

 

Thats an interesting Point of view.

When i remember all the Fantasy MMORPGs i have played years ago there always have been a healer class...not strong at fights but really important to every Team because of healing and buffs.

Im not sure if this fits in here...i think the development of Medics is a waste of time...we have lots of more important issues.

But like i said....interesting Point of view. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like somebody else said, 90% of the time if you're hit, you're dead. So rather than Medics which I think would be a waste, I'd much rather see the introduction of field artillery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok in real life... all soldiers (at least in my country) carry a bandage for quick stoppers... so maybe no need for a medic ingame, just give all classes 1 band aid... wich can be used to stop you from bleeding out (it happens to me quite often), either this is done by only another soldier (like giving ammo), since when you get shot you are in pain.. and usually cant bandage yourself that well...

2nd... id love to see a "medic" for tanks ingame... to repair tracks for example... maybe that could be done by the engineer... with the same thing as they can rebuild ai pits etc... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one in real life stops bleeding from a rifle round passing through a torso, or hitting an arm or leg bone.

Per CRS in the early days, minor wounds are not modeled. Only major, life-threatening ones. The kind that you don't fix with a simple bandage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2016 at 7:07 PM, major0noob said:

how about giving a damaged unit a rescue instead of removing that unit from the spawn

This has potential.  "Bandage packs" (rescue/salvage) for tanks would have to be done by trucks.

 

 

 

-Irish

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe medics would help the gameplay at all, since most of the time everyone is sprinting into town, the FRU is sort of exposed most of the time... and players can hear a truck from 1K out.

Unless it's a silently gliding Morris.... in which case they've made in to the perimeter without being heard at all, but that's another story.

 

My point is that with the current non fortified FRUs and the model of "Drive FRUs in, have them either blown or camped, players running into town, etc... where the heck would a medic work exactly?!?

At the FRU?

 

Around town?

 

Poppycock! Balderdash!!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so I'm convinced that we don't need medics. LOL. 

It's true: if you're hit on the battlefield, you're usually dead or incapacitated. The medic just makes sure you can get back to your family without too many missing pieces.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any sort of medic system in the future that we could put together, would include basic bandages and morphine, not enough to magically heal people, and certainly no med-kits that suddenly increase your percentage of life. It would be just enough to stop bleeding or buy them a little bit more time to RTB.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Any sort of medic system in the future that we could put together, would include basic bandages and morphine, not enough to magically heal people, and certainly no med-kits that suddenly increase your percentage of life. It would be just enough to stop bleeding or buy them a little bit more time to RTB.

No medics. Waste of time and resources.  This isnt some PS4 FPS.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmw said:

No medics. Waste of time and resources.  This isnt some PS4 FPS.

That didn't say we were going to do it in the near future, but we do want to keep the option open. This is post-Steam, long term stuff, providing we find a way to do it that doesn't cause a major drain in resources.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XOOM said:

That didn't say we were going to do it in the near future, but we do want to keep the option open. This is post-Steam, long term stuff, providing we find a way to do it that doesn't cause a major drain in resources.

Understood. Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-09-28 at 1:07 AM, major0noob said:

how about giving a damaged unit a rescue instead of removing that unit from the spawn

Very good idea! Ths and not magically healing up to full health or any health at all. Maybe CRS should introduce bleeding. if you don't get treated, you will bleed out in X minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an idea once that sometimes players could get injured enough to not be able to walk, but not die right away.  They'd lay on the ground making audible screaming/pain sounds.  If a medic came by then they could RTB or be Rescued, otherwise they'd die and be lost forever.  I just wasn't sure how much people would want to lie on the ground for long periods of time trying to crawl around.

I liked it because it'd be a bit more realistic as far as the battlefield went and maybe the other side could be jerks and wait for help to come, but I can also see how some would hate it.  Maybe always leave the option to just escape and leave the soldier as KIA.  OR, have it be an AI soldier just laying there waiting to be rescued until they bleed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have minor wounds in game? I would think wounded soldiers would go to a hosp and be lost for sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.