mogas

4k monitor

19 posts in this topic

Is anyone here using one? I'm having some strange issues. Web pages do not load fully. I'm using the suggested resolution. Game play looks fantastic on it and FPS are still good. Mine is the Samsung 28 inch UHD. Native resolution is 3840x2160. I have gone up and down with the resolution..same.. I did have to update my nvidia driver to take full advantage of it...but i dont know if it is a driver issue..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4K works fine here too, just make sure the dpi is also set at the recommended level, or else the game will launch in a tiny window.  (atleast it did for me)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this - @xanthus @panda1k

In game, and presuming correct size/scaling etc, would you say spotting things at distance is improved over 1080p? Other than 4x the on screen resolution and the obvious advantage there I’m hoping 4K helps spot targets on the ground as well as A2A from distance.

 

anyone else have a comparison they can share?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best things was getting a 1440p monitor. It makes the game look so much better. I can only imagine what it looks like at 4k. And if you have a good video card turn on AA for some extra eye candy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, madrebel said:

Bumping this - @xanthus @panda1k

In game, and presuming correct size/scaling etc, would you say spotting things at distance is improved over 1080p? Other than 4x the on screen resolution and the obvious advantage there I’m hoping 4K helps spot targets on the ground as well as A2A from distance.

 

anyone else have a comparison they can share?

 

Yes, I play at 4k and the difference is profound. Ironically, higher resolutions benefit *this* game more than most modern titles because we're rendering other players and objects at such far distances (even the biggest budget 2018 titles simply don't do this).

I would say to make sure you have a powerful video card for 4k. Even though this game's graphics are not bleeding edge, it still takes a lot of horsepower to go from 1080p to 4k.

You can see my 4k gameplay videos on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy9fhdEW9FeiAtPgOZmAlEw

Here's an example (from June, so normal maps weren't working then). Make *sure* you select 2160p (4k) in the quality options. I'm planning to upload vids of more recent gameplay soon.

Just to be clear: It does NOT matter if you watch this on a 1080p monitor. You will *still* be watching a higher quality image by selecting 4k, and you will *still* notice a difference. On a 1080p monitor, 4k content is downscaled to your monitor resolution but your video card is still rendering the actual 4k video, so you will most definitely see a better image.

 

 

Edited by xanthus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @xanthus. Kinda what I was expecting and as I thought about it more, this game or a game like this where range is critical might be the only real killer app for 4K and later 8K content. too bad we're at least a generation away from 8K being realistic, likely 2 generations. 

from what i'm reading my 1060 should be fine for now. i don't play many games these days and need to replace my now failing 144hz 1080p monitor. recent nvidia drivers broke displayport 144hz with multi monitors ... really frustrating but w/e.

once it arrives and i have some time with it I'll post my experience too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initial report - 4K is amazing. FPS is essentially the same as it was with 1080p around 100 on the ground and near 200 in the air with not much around dropping into the 60s occasionally at Le Fere just now. Haven't really gotten to fly so I'll post some thoughts tomorrow when I get a better play window.

 

Viewsonic XG3220 for those curious

i7 4790K @4487mhz

gtx1060 - stock speeds

 

butter

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update time

 

This game really is made for 4K. Everything is better, period. I'm a terrible tanker but the other day at Le Fere I shot a 38t that was about 600m away. I could clearly distinguish the numbering on the side of the 38t which would have been mostly blurry at 1080p. In the air, spotting ground targets is MUCH easier. I can spot FMS, trucks, etc all much more easily. In A2A combat - I haven't flown allied in awhile so its been a mixed bag. In the spit, the clear canopy makes for really amazing visibility. The models though again, can easily and clearly see the markings on 109s from a decent distance. I can easily tell the difference between the E4 and F2 out to about 1500m or more (wing tips square vs round is more obvious).

 

If ww2ol is your main game played, 4K will translate to a better experience across the board. Highly recommend.

 

*edit* the most recent Nvidia driver enabled support for Freesync. It works on my monitor and really improves the 'feel' - its now much more butter like.

Edited by madrebel
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... things aren't so great with my 4K monitor.

Every time I launch the game it opens in a small window much smaller than the screen.  I've been trying the native monitor resolutions - but every time it opens a small window.

There don't seem to be any preferences to open in "windowed" versus "fullscreen" mode. 

Any tips to get it into a high resolution 4K fullscreen mode --- not windowed?

Other games work fine at the native 3840 x 2160 resolution - so I would think that's correct.

I also tried 1920 x 1080 and other modes, but always the same result.

 

If I redirect it to my old monitor it runs fullscreen.... but I'd really rather not be using that monitor (for obvious reasons).

Any tips!?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking rolling in a 4K monitor for this game AND a TV.  That would mean a smaller TV then those home theater sizes, but that appeals to my cheap nature anyway.

 

Anyone have that sort of rig and recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warthog said:

Hmm... things aren't so great with my 4K monitor.

Every time I launch the game it opens in a small window much smaller than the screen.  I've been trying the native monitor resolutions - but every time it opens a small window.

There don't seem to be any preferences to open in "windowed" versus "fullscreen" mode. 

Any tips to get it into a high resolution 4K fullscreen mode --- not windowed?

Other games work fine at the native 3840 x 2160 resolution - so I would think that's correct.

I also tried 1920 x 1080 and other modes, but always the same result.

 

If I redirect it to my old monitor it runs fullscreen.... but I'd really rather not be using that monitor (for obvious reasons).

Any tips!?

 

go into the game folder
right click ww2.exe and go to compatibility

might try disabling full screen optimizations.
and 

Click on the Change High DPI Setting button
At the bottom, tic the box next to 'Override High DPI Scaling Behaviour' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kilemall said:

I was thinking rolling in a 4K monitor for this game AND a TV.  That would mean a smaller TV then those home theater sizes, but that appeals to my cheap nature anyway.

 

Anyone have that sort of rig and recommendations?

Viewsonic XG3220 - is all I have experience with

i7 4790K @4487mhz

32GB DDR3 @ 9-9-9

gtx1060 - stock speeds

 

ww2ol with the above specs doesn't tax the GPU at all. Somewhere in the 20-30% utilized range @4K resolution. I play Overwatch a little and Rocketleague a little. Both of those games I have to lower details to maintain 60fps, having to lower only a few settings in rocketleague. GPU usage in RL is about 80% and I have a rock solid 60fps. GPU usage in Overwatch is 100% and I don't have a steady 60fps in Overwatch - between 40-60 - but with freesync its very smooth with no appreciable input lag.

IMO - GTX1060 just barely cuts the mustard at 4K resolution in 'modern' games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have heard , the video card GPU won't really start getting used until 64bit and it gets written into the WWIIONLINE code .

The CPU is handling most if not all video processing .

Edited by tr6al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, madrebel said:

Viewsonic XG3220 - is all I have experience with

i7 4790K @4487mhz

32GB DDR3 @ 9-9-9

gtx1060 - stock speeds

 

ww2ol with the above specs doesn't tax the GPU at all. Somewhere in the 20-30% utilized range @4K resolution. I play Overwatch a little and Rocketleague a little. Both of those games I have to lower details to maintain 60fps, having to lower only a few settings in rocketleague. GPU usage in RL is about 80% and I have a rock solid 60fps. GPU usage in Overwatch is 100% and I don't have a steady 60fps in Overwatch - between 40-60 - but with freesync its very smooth with no appreciable input lag.

IMO - GTX1060 just barely cuts the mustard at 4K resolution in 'modern' games. 

Ok, that's a monitor, I'm thinking more TV doubling as a monitor.

 

Or is that becoming the same thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whoever told you that doesn't understand what 64bit is.

the render engine itself needs to be rewritten. the way ww2ol's client renderer was written, way back in probably 1998/99 CPUs were significantly more capable than GPUs. In fact, back then GPUs were really quite dumb with little to no ability to handle any of the scene processing. iirc it was the geforce3 that introduced scene lighting setup/handling.

point is, taking our executable program from 32bit to 64bit doesn't in and of itself mean anything to the way we draw individual frames. we 'might' gain some potential here if things like ballistics or any of the many things that need computing can get spun out to a different core/thread but i wouldn't expect much.

we'd need a full update to the latest openGL derivative (vulkan, metal, etc) and a significant deep dive into the client render routine to offload as much of that work to the GPU as possible.

only i'm expecting 64bit to do is maybe allow for further visual ranges and better handling of 'lots' of players/stuff around - that's all RAM/memory related stuff though.

12 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

Ok, that's a monitor, I'm thinking more TV doubling as a monitor.

 

Or is that becoming the same thing?

more and more they're becoming the same thing. if you want the screen to have 'tv smarts' i'd advise you look at the TCL/Roku TVs. I just saw the 65" at costco for 450 and these are widely regarded as some of the best bang for your buck 4K panels with very low input lag. for $450 (might have been $550 i forget) you get 4K and 60hz with HDR ... its not a bad deal. you wont take home first prize for color accuracy but you'd be a solid 3rd place to some uber expensive TVs.

p.s. they have smaller too - i've got one of the 45" for the kids game room and its stellar - my Vizio M80-d3 trounces it for movie watching though ;-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.