• Announcements

    • PITTPETE

      NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

      The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snappahead

Budget rig

8 posts in this topic

Some of us have to be creative with the limited amount of resources allotted for entertainment. I am playing the game with a computer put together for under $300

If you have friends that don't play because they have an old machine, just upgrading with the cpu, mobo and memory $140

I have the settings of the game turned down, but not all the way. I have vis limit at med. Drops just below 30fps in heavy battles but I haven't noticed it in gameplay. This will get you by if you want to play the game 

BTW, the motherboard has an HDMI output. I am playing on a 32" tv at 1080p.....Bazinga

AMD A47300 3.8ghz with built in HD8470D graphics - $40

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi A70U3P FM2+ / FM2 AMD A70M SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -$41

Gskill 8gb(2x4) 2133 $60

evga 500w ps $38

Samsung 120GB SSD $60

LG dvd drive $20

Case - $40

NO VIDEO CARD-$0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really wouldn't recommend buying something as old as an am2/+ motherboard. craigslist somebody's hand me downs before buying new out dated tech. just my opinion take it for what its worth.

 

*edit* read it wrong, you linked to FM2. still ... AMD is ditching FM2, 3, and socket AM3 soon for the AM4. Like, this quarter. The Xen architecture cometh and it is looking quite good. buying old dead end tech ... dont unless you absolutely have too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, madrebel said:

really wouldn't recommend buying something as old as an am2/+ motherboard. craigslist somebody's hand me downs before buying new out dated tech. just my opinion take it for what its worth.

 

*edit* read it wrong, you linked to FM2. still ... AMD is ditching FM2, 3, and socket AM3 soon for the AM4. Like, this quarter. The Xen architecture cometh and it is looking quite good. buying old dead end tech ... dont unless you absolutely have too.

 

 

That is the beauty of this game......it's old! The setup is state of the art as far as the game goes. I think I was running under 3ghz when I started playing this game 15 years ago.

Even if the game upgrades the graphics all you need is to add a video card. It's 3.0

If they were to build a new game from scratch, using multiple threads to utilize multi core processors, then I would say you shouldn't buy it, but I do not see that happening anytime soon

It's single thread and the higher the clock speed the better. 3.8ghz(4.0 turbo) is pretty good....@65w!  Add that the motherboard runs 2133 speed memory(XMP) and it's relaying information really fast.

If you can't play the game because you can't afford to upgrade your old AMD 2.8 windsor core with 800 mem speed, $140 for the mobo, cpu and mem might be affordable

If you have old squad mates who can't afford to upgrade and would otherwise be playing, there are some affordable upgrades that will run the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great buy snappahead; for less than 300 bucks it would be difficult getting the latest and greatest of all components. You are also right about this being a single-threaded game; it may be awhile before more of it becomes multi-threaded -- of course, one couldn't expect a game's complete run to be multi-threaded as some operations would still be sequential; also, multi-thread code errors too can be quite nastier than standard single-thread types ... so I hear.

 

enjoy your new rig  and  WWIIO in magnificent High Definition!   

Edited by vonguff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2016 at 11:16 PM, vonguff said:

Sounds like a great buy snappahead; for less than 300 bucks it would be difficult getting the latest and greatest of all components. You are also right about this being a single-threaded game; it may be awhile before more of it becomes multi-threaded -- of course, one couldn't expect a game's complete run to be multi-threaded as some operations would still be sequential; also, multi-thread code errors too can be quite nastier than standard single-thread types ... so I hear.

 

enjoy your new rig  and  WWIIO in magnificent High Definition!   

I built it for my nephew. I was working some overtime during the summer and decided to get some xmas stuff done. He liked the game when he came over and played it on my computer. I am just doing some quality control :D Going to get him a starter sub. His dad used to play too....hoping to get him back :)

I run the game on a 2500k @ 3.3(I think it turbos up to 3.7) with 1600 memory and an old gtx260. It gets higher frame rates, not even close to having to upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2016 at 5:54 AM, snappahead said:

BTW, the motherboard has an HDMI output. I am playing on a 32" tv at 1080p.....Bazinga

This!  I'm on a 32" TV as well and I LOVE it!  I actually tried a 40" TV, but the display was too large at my viewing distance.  Just make sure you get a TV with a response time of 8ms or under.  No, you don't need under 5ms, btw.  Tests show that anything 8ms or under is fine for gaming.  Also, make sure you turn off any video enhancements for playing movies.  Put the monitor in game mode if it has one.  And DO try to get a TV with a display lag of under 40ms if possible.  That can be checked HERE (display lag database) for many TVs or monitors.

 

 

 

S!

 

-Irish

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.