VICTARUS

New Predictor Feedback

15 posts in this topic

As I'm sure you know, we released a new predictor in this last patch (or, more accurately, we added any sort of prediction at all in the last update). This code is not what we'd usually consider release quality, but some ongoing issues that were caused by a fundamental design problem in the old code (and exacerbated by some network issues on our end we're trying to iron out) unfortunately forced our hands. I feel like the change has still been a huge net positive for most players, but I wanted everyone to know that one of the issues on my plate right now is improving the predictor for a future release.

With that in mind, I'd appreciate some feedback concerning issues you've seen since the change. Some of the worst problems are caused by issues that I'm hoping will be worked out during the upcoming colo work (e.g., we're fairly certain the really bad warping after the patch came out was caused by so many players downloading the patch — it's kind of hard to code around communications shutting down for a full second <_<), and some minor issues will require some major-but-ultimately-necessary backend changes, but in the short-term there are some rough edges that can be worked on; we'd just appreciate your feedback as to which are the worst when actually playing the game.

For the record, one issue that was on the list even before release is the Loony Toons "hover-walk" when walking off of ledges or down steep slopes. I'm still not 100% on how we'll handle walking off ledges — the occasional "No, I didn't walk off that ledge" message is almost inevitable because of how we send out updates, so properly simulating gravity in the prediction could result in seeing the player fall, then awkwardly hover back up to the ledge — but we're at least going to nail down walking down slopes if possible. (Aside: Our floaty infantry movement and the lack of any real restrictions on it is a major pain to predict in some circumstances without causing weird behavior in other circumstances.)

Game play has become choppy for me at times.  FPS fluctuating from high to low causing stutters.  This only occurred AFTER the patch.   I posted my system specs as requested by WAVER in the bugs forum from a previous thread.

Last night (14 OCT 2016) was my first night in game with the new predictor code. I played for about an hour and took part in the battle at Kempen.

• I had some meeting engagements in the alleys on the N side of the AB and did not have any issues with ei rendering late as they came around corners. In those scenarios, we were both quick on the trigger, but I was slightly faster. That resulted in their death and only a wound for me. I believe that in previous iterations of the game, the result would have been a trade.

• I saw a lot of variability in the FPS values that were reported via the interface overlay. By that I mean that it was spiking and dipping a lot (e.g., 50 fps down to 15 and back up to 48-50 again). I did not encounter any scenarios where a close quarters meeting engagement with an ei was preceded by a major dip in my FPS or a momentary freeze of the game before the ei rendered in my view. What I encountered in this respect (that is, FPS dips and spikes) may be attributed to the aforementioned server work that is ongoing.

• Rubberbanding/warping ei were common BUT it was not something that I saw with every ei. Some moved as you would expect and others displayed radical movement. The warping was the most pronounced when ei or friendlies were running in zig zags across an open area. They appeared to be moving in one direction and then suddenly they would snap into position at another location that was opposite of their original line of movement. For example, an ei sprinting across the AB to the NE and suddenly they are sprinting W. When they changed direction, it was like the game did not render the full change in direction. The ei just appeared at a new location, like the running animation was never displayed. They just changed direction and then appeared a new location several feet away.

• When ei or friendlies ran off of ledges; AB veh spawn 2nd floor walkway; or the sandbag ledges around the walls of the AB they appeared to float laterally in the air off of the structure they had been on and then floated down to the ground. Sometimes they rendered as the fall/jump animation and other times they appeared to be frozen in a crouch or run animation as they floated.

My game time in Kempen spanned 21:46 to 22:48 (pulled times from CSR).

I briefly played with my buddy andyluck last night who had no idea changes were made. He said people were moving all herky-jerky and couldn't hit them because of it.

I can't comment on this except on the part that the development on the predictor code being a very important and core feature in a MMOFPS seemed way too fast.

I wouldn't never been comfortable with patching live, a predictor code that wouldn't had passed at least 3 months on a heavy testing environment.

Aside from a little bit of stutter here and there, I was in a cp with someone the other night and he ran up the stairs and to the left of the upstairs room, and appeared to go up and through the corner of the ceiling.

I had him watch as I did the same thing and he said I appeared to go up and out as well before returning to a crouched position. It happened when we sprinted at the corner and turned suddenly.

Although its better than not seeing the guy come around the corner at all before its too late, i still see rubber banding and jerky movement around corners so it still needs some smoothing out IMO.

Saw an LMG come around the corner tonight and hit him with 8-10 rounds center mass, then watched him raise his pistol and shoot me four times. We both died but it was odd.

I'm seeing more odd stuff lately like players warping while going up stairs, off of roofs... loonie shot a guy in the nuts tonight as he floated haha

Was the extended reset partly due to some fixes? 

It seemed worse afterward.

Or is this all client side and would tweaking require a patch?

Apart from the warping the general gameplay is much better.

People have an equal chance of killing each other inside a building instead of the rusher always beating the defender.

1 hour ago, monsjoex said:

Apart from the warping the general gameplay is much better.

People have an equal chance of killing each other inside a building instead of the rusher always beating the defender.

This is definitely the expected outcome. The smoothing out of infantry movement is also being worked on. This is going to be a surgical networking operation that is going to do some heavy lifting to fully fine tune.

We elected to go with what we have now because we believed that dealing with a couple of buggy issues is a significantly better option to the mindset of this guy is hacking. Imperfect solution, but our reports have gone down tremendously - and coupled with comments like these, it definitely validates the decision.

Is a bit better warpers thought are even harder to kill now.  Either you dont see them at all or you see them running like leo in matrix.  Rifle and side shots imposible now.