Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vonguff

Battle of Berlin and 3D model viewing/submissions

6 posts in this topic

I was going to add this material to my  visual game ideas  thread, but I think it should be posted in this Game Ideas forum -- and BTW, thank you whoever recently gave it the one (1) like; although, I believe that my  visual game ideas  thread is legacy predating the Game Ideas section  lol; perhaps CRS will move it. This is an extension of that thread largely created to help development. Again, apologies for any borrowed character likeness that you may see in the models (for example, the final model); please consider it subtle flattery for respect of your game character as it is used in a positive game dev context; also, the handle has been, at least minimally, altered.

Capital Cities - Extended (Battle of Berlin)

This theme was used as not only a means to show what could be possible by adding these 3 large cities, but as a vessel to show gains the company can make by allowing players to embed 3D models and even submit them for use in the game. Having a specific 'development' aspect for 3D model/animation viewing/submissions  and  even  C++ code snippet/module discussion  would be an improved step toward a more player contributory element.

In this possible Berlin map (showing only the core), note the double-flag choke points that could add indoor shoot-outs within large chambers,  the addition of different types of choke points that could affect a particular country's industrial/resource/research effort,  and the inclusion of a limited airfield (AF FRU) and POW camp (moved [attrited] flags of captured brigades could be liberated). Observe that the historic buildings and monumental structures bring a unique aspect to the capital city. Capital cities would provide a refreshing environment for players to fight in -- likely even significantly boosting the morale of defenders culminating from a period of losing streaks.  Of course, they could also be used in the game's marketing adverts.  

BerlinBattle_png.png

3D Models of buildings/structures

A way to embed 3D models for viewing in forums is using  SketchfabP3D,  or even PlayCanvas  (this allows code exportation). An example is this Berlin Zoo Flak Tower model that I made here at this link;  as you can see, I have progressed from MS Paint and GIF animations   to   Sketchup  [free version]   and   PlayCanvas    :cool:

SkechUpp.gif

I made this model and obtained its 10ea textures (no larger than 1KB x 1KB in size) royalty free from  www.textures.com.  The model itself can be obtained as a Sketchup file ("FlakTower_Sketchup_scaled.zip"   or   as a 3D Collada file ("FlakTower.3DCollada_scaled.zip") at the below FTP link using  Username  "ftp@w00teez.com"; there is no password.

ftp://ftp.w00teez.com/

*Note: I hereby give both of these 3D files  ("FlakTower_Sketchup_scaled.zip", "FlakTower.3DCollada_scaled.zip")  royalty free to CRS company to be used in whatever capacity they so choose.  

With the model, a  damaged state  can quickly be modified from it as well, such as that shown here (just add the object's colliders upon add/placement).

FlakTower_Damaged1.jpg

WWIIO player contributions  can really help this already awesome game improve even more.

CapitalFinal.gif 

4 people like this

A few of the considerations that have been mentioned in prior Rat discussions:

1. There used to be a significant constraint on world-object LOD0 poly count, because players moving into render-range of such an object sometimes would be unable to render the object fast enough to keep up...particularly if the player was a plane at low altitude to medium altitude. This may be less of a problem now, but I'm sure there's still a limit.

2. All objects have to have the full set of LODs, and have to handle day and night correctly, and have to be designed to be placeable on non-flat tiles, and if enterable have to be unclippable from inside, and have to have windows designed to be compatible with deployed infantry weapon height.

3. My understanding some time ago was that CRS might have been evolving away from physically large models and toward multiple smaller models that fit together to make large buildings etc...the point being that a single damage model for a large building always looks like dreck and never is realistic in relation to the damage being where the destructive energy was applied.

4. It used to be CRS's stance that it took more time to audit the construction of a 3D model to assure that all junctions were true connections and not overlaps or micro-gaps, than it would take to just build the same model again in-house. I don't know if that's still CRS's view, but the audit-need is unchanged.

Edited by jwilly
1 person likes this

I would love it if they added capitals to France and Germany.  It would add a lot more on fighting for the map, I mean who wouldn't want to march to Paris ( liberate Paris for the allies) or march to berlin.  It would just add a whole lot more to the battles.  Also they could also make the games map bigger, maybe adding all of France and Germany, little bit a of England and some of the western countries ( Holland, Denmark, Belgium, Italy) It would be Epic.

vonguff. great work.  jwilly, as always a thoughtful, reasoned and detailed response. 

I like the 'theme' of capital cities, but even more vonguff's idea of practical execution of a 'vessel' for player contributed 3D modelling and the preemption of legal issues by the 'donation' line. 

is there not some way for CRS to take advantage of potential new 3D models or other player stuff even given the requirements for LODs, player height, day/night and multiple smaller models, audit time etc etc?  isn't this essentially a form of 'modding' but with CRS controlling or vetting the end results? 

if/when the game gets to Steam, this idea of player contribution and modification will most likely happen more often with newer,  younger and more ambitious players wanting to help in some way. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0