• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
muggles

New Player Retention

16 posts in this topic

'ey folks!

I've been chatting with a grip of new folks during intermission; they're massively confused. There should be a big [censored] sign that says INTERMISSION. Also there should be a big as sign somewhere that says, THIS IS THE TRAINING SERVER. So people that are new have some idea what's happenening.

btw; my experience in Ultima Online free-shards taught me nothing retains a new player like a warm greeting; say hello to your fellow n00bs!

1 person likes this

I mean think about it; where on the website/game client/anywhere does it explain intermission to new players? 

THERE IS NO INFORMATION!!!!!

Ya'll have been playing this game for so long you have no idea what it's like to be new. Well I'm from 2005, just came back in June and I know what it's like to be new; ya'll should listen to me.

Hi muggles,

So I'm a new player about two months in, but I would not say I'm your typical new player. Curiosity and figuring things out drive me to learn a lot, so I stuck with it and now like the game very much.

That said, I am always advertising my squad in the game chat. We are a new squad that just organized officially, boasting about 10 members. Our goal is to have fun, learn the game, and play together. We go on the TeamSpeak server to coordinate missions or just simply comment while we play. And the squad is for new or new-ish players. So I'm constantly hunting down the green tags to see if they want to join and get them excited about the gameplay. We've had some really good moments.

Our squad is called the "huitième compagnie de chasseurs" or 8th Chasseur company. You can check out our website and sign up at: sublimsw.wixsite.com/chasseurs.

That said, YES, we do need some sort of intermission announcement. At the end of the previous campaign (this is my second), there actually was a system message saying it was intermission and that there were no real attack or defense objectives, etc. Maybe this is because the development team is at their meeting this weekend in Texas?

Check out our site and sign up. We'd love to have you and really do have a good time. We're laid back, but we also love to work together on missions!

Best,

sublime

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, muggles said:

I mean think about it; where on the website/game client/anywhere does it explain intermission to new players? 

THERE IS NO INFORMATION!!!!!

Ya'll have been playing this game for so long you have no idea what it's like to be new. Well I'm from 2005, just came back in June and I know what it's like to be new; ya'll should listen to me.

you can see the official post about victory for 1 side plus announcement when new campaign starts

also when you log into game ... take a look at bottom right of that map. it tells you exactly if it is intermission or campaign and what day of it ;)

niB1MbU.jpg

4 hours ago, undercova said:

you can see the official post about victory for 1 side plus announcement when new campaign starts

also when you log into game ... take a look at bottom right of that map. it tells you exactly if it is intermission or campaign and what day of it ;)

niB1MbU.jpg

All fine but I think Muggles point is still valid. IT SHOULD BE VERY CLEAR. On the front page of the website etc...

not tucked away on the map.

Not sure what my wwiionline home page is linking to ..but when I go there all i see is Badgers' last report of Oct. 11th. and "Heavy Fighting".

Anyway, not wanting to be disruptive but I think it should be clear as in "Flashing lights" "Big banner" clear, to help the noobs.

S!

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, elfin said:

All fine but I think Muggles point is still valid. IT SHOULD BE VERY CLEAR. On the front page of the website etc...

not tucked away on the map.

Not sure what my wwiionline home page is linking to ..but when I go there all i see is Badgers' last report of Oct. 11th. and "Heavy Fighting".

Anyway, not wanting to be disruptive but I think it should be clear as in "Flashing lights" "Big banner" clear, to help the noobs.

S!

Yeah, we're looking into something for the gazette for intermissions.  Right now we have to manually edit the headline, and that's obviously not responsive enough (especially if overlooked due to a mini-con).  Eventually we'll have something up for when the server gets reset to intermission mode. 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, B2K said:

Yeah, we're looking into something for the gazette for intermissions. 

That's great but............a lot of people don't look at the Gazette when they login.  Just saying.

13 hours ago, matamor said:

A thing is sure, new player retention was better before TOEs came in.

dead.jpg

1 person likes this

What about a big message on the pop up window upon loading the game?!?

You know... something like, 

"Congrats to the Allies for winning campaign 129! Please enjoy INTERMISSION!"

in big letters.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, bmw said:

That's great but............a lot of people don't look at the Gazette when they login.  Just saying.

tracking, but it does get looked at, and as has been pointed out - everywhere it can be spammed helps..

1 hour ago, B2K said:

Yeah, we're looking into something for the gazette for intermissions.  Right now we have to manually edit the headline, and that's obviously not responsive enough (especially if overlooked due to a mini-con).  Eventually we'll have something up for when the server gets reset to intermission mode. 

just edit the launcher like this... then no one can say he didnt see it !!!!

replace "Campaign XXX" with "Intermission" then. a text field that queries the CRS server

SVPuhEx.jpg

2 people like this

On 10/16/2016 at 6:07 PM, sublimesw said:

Hi muggles,

So I'm a new player about two months in, but I would not say I'm your typical new player. Curiosity and figuring things out drive me to learn a lot, so I stuck with it and now like the game very much.

That said, I am always advertising my squad in the game chat. We are a new squad that just organized officially, boasting about 10 members. Our goal is to have fun, learn the game, and play together. We go on the TeamSpeak server to coordinate missions or just simply comment while we play. And the squad is for new or new-ish players. So I'm constantly hunting down the green tags to see if they want to join and get them excited about the gameplay. We've had some really good moments.

Our squad is called the "huitième compagnie de chasseurs" or 8th Chasseur company. You can check out our website and sign up at: sublimsw.wixsite.com/chasseurs.

That said, YES, we do need some sort of intermission announcement. At the end of the previous campaign (this is my second), there actually was a system message saying it was intermission and that there were no real attack or defense objectives, etc. Maybe this is because the development team is at their meeting this weekend in Texas?

Check out our site and sign up. We'd love to have you and really do have a good time. We're laid back, but we also love to work together on missions!

Best,

sublime

Welcome to WW2OL buddy! I hope you like it here; make sure you hang out in TeamSpeak, S!

Do we need to Crowdfund another position - Social Media Coordinator?  In todays digital world there should be no reason the website isnt always up to date with the most accurate information.  Whats the current state of the map?  A quick short recent AAR to give a browser a flavor of the action.  Games in Intermission which means...   New Campaign starting X/X/X so get your weapons ready!  Email blast letting people get ready for new Campaign.  Etc  Communication is the life blood of a business.   To often struggling businesses cut marketing and comms first since they have trouble tracking the tangible revenue generated from those positions.  This game absolutely cannot afford to be lacking in those areas.  And Xoom if you are spending your time doing this, believe me you are costing yourself money.  been there, made that mistake.

2 people like this

This is a great idea. This game is wonderful, and despite all of the "warnings" that the game has a steep learning curve, I'm afraid it's just too steep for most.  Like another poster mentioned, I too like having to "figure things out" but for my first two days, it was pure chaos.  I consider myself a smart person, but this game is seriously hard from the start.  And I'm not here to mention all of the warts that the game has, and there are many.  But the fact that there are so many warts coupled with the steep learning curve, well let's just tell it like it is, they keep this game down.  I'm 45 years old and have been playing online games for as long as I can remember.  There's a reason I just discovered this game a week ago.  And there are VERY big reasons why I almost gave up after just one horrific night of "trying it out".  So feel free to call me a noob and feel free to be condescending, defensive, and abrasive OR take what is actually quite an amazing game and an even more amazing experience AND MAKE IT LESS UNFORGIVING than real war.  Because other than the very important dying part, this game is way too merciless to spend $18 a month on (or even $5 a month on) for anybody other than those of us who really enjoy the punishment.  

I'm not saying, "Hey let's turn this very unique and glorious game into World of Warcraft" but c'mon I can't see the point of all you Rats getting together (along with Hatch coming back) just to putz around and not make the game better.  The WARTS I can deal with for the time being.  You have my $18 dollars (and $5 more for my son) but I just wonder how many have simply walked away since I subscribed because information (like intermission) was almost impossible to find and the learning curve was ridiculously steep?

Lastly, when it is in fact, intermission, please stop telling us newbs to "Meh, enjoy yourself, this is intermission, it's like training for the campaign coming up."  Bull crap.  Not only does it make things even MORE CHAOTIC than they need to be, it just shows the new people that there is no organization, no teamwork, etc.  Just a bunch of grizzled veterans having a grand old time camping FRU's and spawn points and just generally abusing new people.  It's not cool, it's not fun, and it's certainly no way to retain new people.

/end rant.

I personally made it through and sincerely enjoy this game now.  But like I said before, how many that signed up when I did have long since quit the game for the most preventable of reasons?

1 person likes this

Selvendar makes great points.  Rats I sure hope you are doing some followup with your new signups (that pay) to get their feedback.  Its priceless.  I've held off on talking about one  point that Selvendar alludes to, because I dont have any solutions to offer. But the line "Just a bunch of grizzled veterans having a grand old time camping FRU's and spawn points and just generally abusing new people" is pretty appropriate from the Noobs side.  There are people who have been playing this game from the start who know the map by heart, so they know where the frus are going.  They know the alleys and rooftops.  They know all the exploits.  Explaining to new guys the other night that being in a great defensive position and not moving was actually a bad thing is kind of wrong.  Obviously you cant tell vets to dumb their game down, but for this game to get where we all want it to be you have to attract, and more importantly KEEP, the new blood.  Having a 6/1 KD against noobs is bad for the game.  When I look at my stats and see Ive killed the same guy 6x in the last 5 minutes, I know I might have just cost us a subscriber because that person probably was frustrated as hell and couldnt figure out what was going on.  Its not the graphics people come here for, they want good gameplay, and to often we (the vet playerbase) spoil it for them, however unintentionally.

1 person likes this