rakes

the FRU needs to die

16 posts in this topic

i'm still a rookie in the game but i realize the FRU ability wasnt always there, and one thing i have noticed is that it somewhat ruins the game.

first off all it turns the game into a "Urban warfare sim" engagements outside town/cities are rare and is usually between tanks, or when an enemy takes a stroll outside the town, it also makes defending towns a nightmare because you cant effectivly put up any defences outside towns because you have no Clue where EI might come from, and even if you do there is no chance for you to propp up any bunkers before you get shot. i Guess some People will have an issue With having to walk for 5 min before they get to the combat area (as a DayZ player With some 2000 hours i'm used to it :P) but not only would this Call for more team work (People working as taxi's, this should also give you Points) but it would make People more afraid to die since you know you then have to get back to the AO (so no tompson rambo's into the CP). I once joined an Axis paratrooper mission to bust an Allied FB, we dropped some 500 meters away from it and soon the brits started spawning in order to protect it, it was very fun being in the tree line trying to pick off the defenders, it gave you a huge amount of freedom to move around and attack from different directions (no FRU would also make Paras usefull since they could cut the road from an FB)

1 person likes this

Back in the day ...the opel was the fru...when you have it manned... you would get points from people spawning.. in.. and if you wanted action you could make it a unmanned mobile spawn. It was perfect for greentags and such.. to rank up points and get into their heads how important the fru's are to sustain an attack.

So id rather have that system back then what we have now...  but no MS at all rather not.. i guess we then have even fewer people then what we have now...

You know what?  I'll take it one further and say we get rid of the current fire base as well as the FRU.  Instead, we make the FB itself a PPO but not limit it to one of two spots between towns.  

Have two new type of vehicles (although they can just be different versions of current vehicles) and have their main purpose be to set up either an infantry tent or vehicle tent.

I imagined the FB as basically saying that this is the frontline and this is where all the troops and tanks are.  If it was actually something chosen by the players it might feel like it was actually fought for.

I imagine that there would only be a small handful of these command vehicles spawnable from a friendly army base and someone would drive it out to a location of their choosing.  Once there, it sets up a FB building where anything that was spawnable at the original will now spawn here.  With no FRU you'd want it to be close, but if it's destroyed there will be a time penalty before anyone can build another one.  Maybe 20-30 minutes or so.  So you'd also want to keep it somewhat hidden and far away.

These buildings should be somewhat hard to destroy, but maybe not have them only destroyable with demo charges (although they would surely help).  It represents your forces from your army base so it should be as strong as your combined force.  However if it's getting carpet bombed and shot up by tanks then it'll fall easily.

Having a FRU destroyed and having to run from a FB is a pain, so being pushed back to your town might be a better motivator to guard your FB FRU.  Seeing as so much would ride on these new buildings, I'd imagine you'd have to have a high enough rank to even drive the correct vehicle.

And if people still wanted to have the FRU around to resupply troops and vehicles, I'm fine with that, but no spawning from them.

I'd just imagine that having these set up freely in the world might drive some people from the towns and into the wild.  Plus, maybe we'd get some FB vs FB fights in the forest.

5 hours ago, rinzello said:

And if people still wanted to have the FRU around to resupply troops and vehicles, I'm fine with that, but no spawning from them.

basically just an ammo cash then? and i agree

21 minutes ago, rakes said:

basically just an ammo cash then? and i agree

Yeah.  If they wanted to make it more complicated then have infantry ammo FRU come from a solider and tanks ammo FRU come from a truck (since I imagine troops might have trouble carrying enough tank shells long distances)

4 hours ago, rinzello said:

Yeah.  If they wanted to make it more complicated then have infantry ammo FRU come from a solider and tanks ammo FRU come from a truck (since I imagine troops might have trouble carrying enough tank shells long distances)

"hans, take these 88mm Shells to the front"

"but Commander there must be hundreds of them, i can't carry all of them"

"Direct order from the furehr, get too it"

I suppose you guys weren't here back when you had NO frus, and didn't even need AOs to go capture towns.

We'd load up an Opel with five drunken sots, roll town after town. I think I played for a week and never saw any infantry. My first kill was a huge rush.

I like the FRUs, and like them better now that they're truck deployed and the armor numbers have been balanced out and sappers returned.

I don't relish the idea of having to hotdrop a town over and over again. For starters, you can hear a truck 1.4K out. That's plenty of time to move your 232, Pan, Dac or tank and wipe it out.

Worse, an LMG can do it without the cumbersome engine audio giving away their position 2km out.

Plus, talk about an opportunity for spawn camping, huh? All anyone needs to do is sit at a FB and shoot trucks point blank range.

You could defend the entire map with one player per FB, theoretically, not to mention pre-camping FBs that aren't even up yet?

IDK...

Some improvement to the FRU needs to happen -maybe added ammo caches.

Fortified Mobile Spawn is inbound. It's still a mobile spawn, but I think it's going to change the game on the frontier, for the better. Longer lasting mobile spawns with a defendable position, little MG spray isn't going to take it down that's for sure.

1 person likes this

I think your point about pretty much all the infantry combat happening in urban settings has some merit. I always wished that a lot more of the smaller cities would have been converted into sparsely populated farm-holdings; as well as outside of actual cities having a bunch of small cottages and farmhouses. It would certainly open up the range of combat without it being a complete sniper-oriented affair.

I somewhat like Hasselt because between its southern two depots and the main town is a collection of farm buildings that are real fun to take from a fireteam of enemies with a handful of infantry; you can put down automatic fire and rush it as opposed to being forced to either snipe at each other [open countryside] or facehug [dense urban].

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

Fortified Mobile Spawn is inbound. It's still a mobile spawn, but I think it's going to change the game on the frontier, for the better. Longer lasting mobile spawns with a defendable position, little MG spray isn't going to take it down that's for sure.

This is an underestimated game change that could be a potential game changer! 

Edited by monsjoex
2 people like this

Can't wait for the fortified spawn.

I'd LOVE to see outbuildings, farms and actual hedgerows as high as a man and even trenches between towns. Places to fight over. Not just running around a city.

Still wonder if the results will be as positive as expected. I mean a lot of times now its 1 EI sneaking up on your fru nading it. However at least now you have a chance to defend it. Even if EI's are close. 

Exciting to see it come in!

Could be a great opportunity for spawn campers though.

Ahem...

WILL be a great opportunity for spawn campers. Mission Leads will still need to be able to delete it!

Don't know if they could code it, but I'd like to see Terrain capture points for things like hilltops, road crossings/junctions, bridges, or like the Verdun monastery, etc...., that you have to capture before you can AO a town.  There would be three to four of these Terrain points that you wouldn't need to AO, but that you would have to capture BEFORE you could AO the adjacent town.  If the defenders recapped those Terrain points your AO would go away.  It would have to be done with some restrictions because I can think of some ways right off to game such Terrain points to kill an AO. 

It would hopefully have the effect of slowing down a roll.  A con of these Terrain points is you don't want the "FB Syndrome" of having to guard terrain points that may not be attacked and such.

VR

Edited by csm308

On 10/27/2016 at 9:02 AM, rakes said:

i'm still a rookie in the game but i realize the FRU ability wasnt always there, and one thing i have noticed is that it somewhat ruins the game.

first off all it turns the game into a "Urban warfare sim" engagements outside town/cities are rare and is usually between tanks, or when an enemy takes a stroll outside the town, it also makes defending towns a nightmare because you cant effectivly put up any defences outside towns because you have no Clue where EI might come from, and even if you do there is no chance for you to propp up any bunkers before you get shot. i Guess some People will have an issue With having to walk for 5 min before they get to the combat area (as a DayZ player With some 2000 hours i'm used to it :P) but not only would this Call for more team work (People working as taxi's, this should also give you Points) but it would make People more afraid to die since you know you then have to get back to the AO (so no tompson rambo's into the CP). I once joined an Axis paratrooper mission to bust an Allied FB, we dropped some 500 meters away from it and soon the brits started spawning in order to protect it, it was very fun being in the tree line trying to pick off the defenders, it gave you a huge amount of freedom to move around and attack from different directions (no FRU would also make Paras usefull since they could cut the road from an FB)

With Infantry FRUs you had the freedom and the control to change the location of the FRU making battles more dynamic, changing the attack direction of the infantry, sometimes advancing, some times retreating. As a mission leader back then it added skill to the art of FRU placement and coordination, it was very fulfilling to scout a town find a good location for the FRU at the minimum distance 300m and then just ask for infantry flood, you could see and feel the impact you had on battles something that has been sadly lost.

I started playing in 2005 and Infantry placed FRUs was the single best thing done to improve the gameplay with playing infantry and mission leader and even combine arms.. the only drawback was that you had full access to the spawn list which could make harder for less experience and good players.

Now I don't even bother attacking or placing FRUs it's too cumbersome not fulfilling, devoid of much skill and tactics, easily campable and you are usually far away from the target, which breaks infantry self grouping and battle lines. Creating a serious attack requires too much players too much hard organization, something that with infantry placed FRUs attacks could be started with 2-3 players and this would grow and become organized with time. 

Removing FRUs would make the game significant worst and make even more players would leave, infantry bad look and are worst now for sure..

Edited by pbveteran

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:57 PM, vasduten1 said:

I suppose you guys weren't here back when you had NO frus, and didn't even need AOs to go capture towns.

We'd load up an Opel with five drunken sots, roll town after town. I think I played for a week and never saw any infantry. My first kill was a huge rush.

I like the FRUs, and like them better now that they're truck deployed and the armor numbers have been balanced out and sappers returned.

I don't relish the idea of having to hotdrop a town over and over again. For starters, you can hear a truck 1.4K out. That's plenty of time to move your 232, Pan, Dac or tank and wipe it out.

Worse, an LMG can do it without the cumbersome engine audio giving away their position 2km out.

Plus, talk about an opportunity for spawn camping, huh? All anyone needs to do is sit at a FB and shoot trucks point blank range.

You could defend the entire map with one player per FB, theoretically, not to mention pre-camping FBs that aren't even up yet?

IDK...

Some improvement to the FRU needs to happen -maybe added ammo caches.

That's correct.. there where many times you would not see EI pre AO. One other thing, Ill add. Having zero FRUs and only trucks to transport infantry in.. air could completely stop an attack before it even got started. Another thing, without FBs some towns are nearly a 30 minute drive or more between them at current truck speeds. Most players would get very tired of loading up to attack, driving to a town just to get mowed down 2k from it. That means you get to spawn infantry once, every hour or so on particular towns.