Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madeuce65

Combat Gliders

8 posts in this topic

I'd LOVE to see Combat Gliders (DFS 230 assault glider for Axis and the American Waco CG-4A or British Airspeed Horsa glider for Allies) introduced into the game at some point.

Proposed Benefits:

-The stealth factor alone could be a game-changer in terms increased para effectiveness, especially during night drops.

-Towing would provide more missions for Ju52 and C-47 pilots.

-multiple target drops per mission (one for towplane / one for glider).

-would add an exciting new component to the combined arms dynamic.

Thoughts?

Also, here's a great article I found on combat gliders in WWII:

Added ability for glider pilots to set air-placed FRUs, yes -- absolutely (strictly 'ammo caches' perhaps as described in the next big update).  I don't know enough about the game mechanics for this to work, but the potential for more long distance missions to affect RDP deep behind enemy lines would be astounding I think -- in addition to getting Inf out quickly to destroy or defend bridges, establish ZOCs, etc.

Also, when I said "para effectiveness," in my initial post, I was using the term rather loosely -- glider sticks would consist of Glider Infantry units (not Paratroopers) ...in other words, no ability to chute in.  And no need to re-skin existing Inf units ....maybe just re-designate an existing Inf brigade or two in the game.

Not viable at this time also somewhat redundant, you can already use paraplanes exactly as gliders.. if you turn off engines there is no 3rd person audio for all other enemies or players and they glide pretty well so... Adding gliders would be significantly complex and expensive especially when it came to towing.

Setting Paraplanes at least as rearm zones would be more achievable although not very useful.

As setting them as mobile spawns when landed, with infantry FRUs you more or less could do this by loading mission leaders from a town taking off and then landing so these ML could set up their FRUs.

I think it would be more useful to simply allow a X number of paratroopers to spawn on ongoing flights(Spawn on flying aircraft) but this again seem far and not easy to implement. 

2 hours ago, pbveteran said:

Not viable at this time also somewhat redundant, you can already use paraplanes exactly as gliders.. if you turn off engines there is no 3rd person audio for all other enemies or players and they glide pretty well so... Adding gliders would be significantly complex and expensive especially when it came to towing.

Setting Paraplanes at least as rearm zones would be more achievable although not very useful.

As setting them as mobile spawns when landed, with infantry FRUs you more or less could do this by loading mission leaders from a town taking off and then landing so these ML could set up their FRUs.

I think it would be more useful to simply allow a X number of paratroopers to spawn on ongoing flights(Spawn on flying aircraft) but this again seem far and not easy to implement. 

Good to know, thanks.

2 hours ago, pbveteran said:

Good to know, thanks.

Kind of pointless at the moment, since we lack para-specific equipment.  If they DID implement the kind of air-dropped light AT, howitzers, mortars, etc.  then I could see gliders as being the airborne equivalent of the new fortified FRU.  It gets towed in, lands safely, deploys, now it's a spawn point for para infantry and a selection of light equipment.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dandysprat said:

Kind of pointless at the moment, since we lack para-specific equipment.  If they DID implement the kind of air-dropped light AT, howitzers, mortars, etc.  then I could see gliders as being the airborne equivalent of the new fortified FRU.  It gets towed in, lands safely, deploys, now it's a spawn point for para infantry and a selection of light equipment.

air-dropped light AT, howitzers, mortars, etc. -- yes.  I like the way you think.

1 hour ago, Dandysprat said:

air-dropped light AT, howitzers, mortars, etc. -- yes.  I like the way you think.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0