Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

kchip

Player placed Sandbags too weak!!!

kchip

So, 

At the roadblock someone brought out a PZII.  I had built all these sandbags and assumed I had good cover from the PZII.  Well, to my shock - they simply disappeared - the tank shot them and all of the sudden I am laying in the road like a sitting duck. I presume that he was using the 20mm HE on bags.

But the point here is, shouldn't these be a like a lot tougher to defeat? I mean if a 20mm makes them "disappear" like they never existed leaving absolutely no cover at all - why bother?  I noticed this mentioned in another thread, but really this needs fixing. Should take like two 50mm HEs to "make vanish"  the cover. For the time and effort it takes to build a decent fortification for a FRU, they should be harder to kill. Be nice too to have an animation of the bags scattered once destroyed and not just "vanish".

In unrelated, nerf the town buildings...they should crumble from tank/atg fire easier. CPs too. 

• Like 1

bmw

I would think 20mm HE would tear thru sandbags pretty easily in real life........I know I wouldn't crouch behind one in a real life scenario verses a tank.

I think its supposed to be more of an infantry cover than tank cover.

kchip

I didn't say indestructible. But tougher.  And the 'dissapearing' aspect is an issue. An animation like the gas cans scatteredafter FB blow. Scattered sandbag animation. Going from a wall of sandbags in front of you to nothing?? 

pbveteran
18 minutes ago, bmw said:

I would think 20mm HE would tear thru sandbags pretty easily in real life........I know I wouldn't crouch behind one in a real life scenario verses a tank.

I think its supposed to be more of an infantry cover than tank cover.

Sandbags are very resistance they can stop .50cal and not even sweat..

It's fair to assume they would have no trouble stopping 20mm cuz .50cal is 15mm.. I think only HE rounds should damage because they would rip and throw that sand out of the bags..

vasduten1

I'd like to see them take  third more damage and then be scattered v just disappearing.

Then again, I was on the bridge in Terneuzen last night and took delight in using the grenadier to hit EI that were hiding behind them on the opposite end of the bridge.

I found that a rifleman was killing a bunch of us just by crouching behind a tank hog. All you could see was his head.

Cool!

stankyus
4 hours ago, kchip said:

I didn't say indestructible. But tougher.  And the 'dissapearing' aspect is an issue. An animation like the gas cans scatteredafter FB blow. Scattered sandbag animation. Going from a wall of sandbags in front of you to nothing?? 

mmm having a destroyed state for a bit would be a nice touch.

OLDZEKE

Yea I like trhe idea of a "hulk" remaining a bit after sandbags and even atg bunker are destroyed.

Kidd27

considering how many sandbags ppos can be placed at any given time, to have them have a destroyed state to keep track of as well, may be a bit much...but i like it.

vasduten1
27 minutes ago, kidd27 said:

considering how many sandbags ppos can be placed at any given time, to have them have a destroyed state to keep track of as well, may be a bit much...but i like it.

Well, they are already being tracked as they stand, so I don't see much of a difference

stankyus
3 hours ago, kidd27 said:

Well that does take up PPO tracking, however the destroyed state could be a limited time... say 5 minutes before it goes away.  I don't want them hanging around for much longer then that because if the sand bag placement is a decent one, the destroyed state will get In the way of replacement.. say if your walling up your AA guns for protection. Your gonna want to go away incase you have to move or replace them.

VICTARUS

Durability's being upped a bit in this next version, although Xoom can also play with those values on the fly based on what we see. There have been a lot of PPO tweaks based on player feedback and what we've seen in-game, so I'm feeling fairly confident that we'll be campaign-ready either with this next version or with a few small adjustments by Xoom if need be.

3 hours ago, stankyus said:

Well that does take up PPO tracking, however the destroyed state could be a limited time... say 5 minutes before it goes away.  I don't want them hanging around for much longer then that because if the sand bag placement is a decent one, the destroyed state will get In the way of replacement.. say if your walling up your AA guns for protection. Your gonna want to go away incase you have to move or replace them.

Based on what we've seen so far, I don't think there's really a hard limit to how many PPOs we can have. In fact, one of the ideas the old team was experimenting with was having the entire map be defined based on STOs (which PPOs are a subset of). The only reason there isn't a "destroyed" sandbag state is because there just wasn't anything like that in place for us to build off of, and we can only really go one step at a time. :)

CHIMM

Great work BTW! how long do the PPO's stay  on the grid? when do they go away?

VICTARUS
17 hours ago, chimm said:

Great work BTW! how long do the PPO's stay  on the grid? when do they go away?

Except for the foxhole, all of the defensive ones are currently set to three or four hours (I forget which off the top of my head). This might change at some point: We're going for "Things don't magically disappear mid-battle", but also have to consider performance issues since PPOs have never been used this heavily before.

• Like 1