ezeight65

SHOVELS as weapons, not just entrenching tools

11 posts in this topic

Shovels should have the ability to be used in CQC -- they already appear in the "weapons" inventory -- so make them lethal.    The entrenching command could be keymapped to B or Z.

It'd make considerably more military sense to devote the infantry-animation art and programming resources to allowing riflemen to fix bayonets and do kill-thrusts. The number of soldiers killed in WWII by shovels surely was small. Bayonets OTOH were a feared weapon exactly because an infantryman charging out of fog or smoke with fixed bayonet could kill you very dead before you could effectively react.

3 people like this

19 hours ago, jwilly said:

It'd make considerably more military sense to devote the infantry-animation art and programming resources to allowing riflemen to fix bayonets and do kill-thrusts. The number of soldiers killed in WWII by shovels surely was small. Bayonets OTOH were a feared weapon exactly because an infantryman charging out of fog or smoke with fixed bayonet could kill you very dead before you could effectively react.

Although the shovel "whack-a-mole" sounds awesome.. I agree, with the resources available, it would be more realistic and worthwhile to implement the ability to fix bayonets.

S!

2 people like this

23 minutes ago, pbveteran said:

Every soldier has a knife, so this feels redundant and a waste of dev time at this stage...

I never said they really needed to spend a lot of dev time on it. I just said i could see it making sense for Engineers. Who knows, maybe they will consider it if and when 2.0 comes out. We all know that the majority of suggestions in these threads are not going to happen. That said, honestly, one man's fantastic idea for the game will always be another's idea of a complete waste of time. Every suggestion should get its fair chance to have CRS see it.

S!

1 person likes this