Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

rule303

TZ3 Players: Why Axis?

rule303

It's no secret in WW2OL that by far the majority of TZ3 players are dedicated Axis players, or that Axis always has more TZ3 players. My question to TZ3 players is why is this the case, what about the Axis is it that attracts more people to TZ3? The odds are definitely at least 2:1 in the favour of the Axis during this time period, upon which the Allies are always thus forced into a hyper defensive game mode. So why is it so many of you choose specifically to be dedicated Axis players in TZ3, and what can Allied HC do to make more of you want to play for the Allies to balance TZ3 numbers out?

• Like 1

captcrayon

I just love the axis side lol.  When this game releases on steam there are going to be so many players in this game ( literally hopefully thousands) unbalanced sides will no longer be  a problems since both sides will have hundreds if not thousands on each side.  Give it time these things will be fixed...with steam :D

undercova

counter-question:

Why are there so many allied players in TZ 2 ?? US prime time

• Like 1

Capco
1 minute ago, undercova said:

counter-question:

Does the game cease to function properly in TZ2 like it does in TZ3?

Quincannon
1 hour ago, captcrayon said:

I just love the axis side lol.  When this game releases on steam there are going to be so many players in this game ( literally hopefully thousands) unbalanced sides will no longer be  a problems since both sides will have hundreds if not thousands on each side.  Give it time these things will be fixed...with steam :D

I would argue that this will be FAR from the case. I have played almost every WWII multiplayer game out there. In EVERY ONE, I have observed a significantly larger number of players who play Axis than allied. (Usually 70-30; 60-40 if the Allies are very lucky) Adding Steam customers does not mean that this overall set of preferences will suddenly cease to be. It's not as if all the Steam players will choose to play Allied. But if there will be new Allied players, there will likely be many more Axis players.

stankyus

I have hunch but I would be that the majority of allied players actually started playing Axis when they first started this game as noobs and later moved on to the Allied side.  There are very few allied vets that I know who did not start playing this game as Axis first.

There used to be a guy named Crass63, I met him in another internet lobby where he told me about this game. All I was interested in was the German equipment. It was well known to the outsider, so he got me and a guy named Ixorus to join up and we did. We went Axis to play the 09s and be a fighter ace, and the MG34s and of course the 88s and Panzers. There where 3 types of Panzers to the laymen 1. Tiger tank. 2. Panther tank and 3. Panzer  hehehehe. All very sexy and iconic.  The equipment was hella fun and back in the day we only had T0 equipment.. but then the PZH entered and we rocked in our panzers columns. But then entered the 6pdr and put a dent in our armor. So I thing the allure and sexiness of German equipment IS why people are attracted to it.   Seriously, who the hell ever heard of the A13 or S35 prior to playing a ww2 game?

saronin
3 hours ago, capco said:

Does the game cease to function properly in TZ2 like it does in TZ3?

The game for many people only ceases to function properly when they are losing.  This will only end when CRS takes some steps to even out population.  I have made suggestions but they fell on deaf ears.  Really the only hope is increased overall server pop.

• Like 1

imded
2 hours ago, Quincannon said:

I would argue that this will be FAR from the case. I have played almost every WWII multiplayer game out there. In EVERY ONE, I have observed a significantly larger number of players who play Axis than allied. (Usually 70-30; 60-40 if the Allies are very lucky) Adding Steam customers does not mean that this overall set of preferences will suddenly cease to be. It's not as if all the Steam players will choose to play Allied. But if there will be new Allied players, there will likely be many more Axis players.

I totally agree. When we hit STEAM, I personally believe the AXIS side will be overpopped most of the time.

Yes there will be more players, but it will stay uneven.

Quincannon
28 minutes ago, sydspain said:

It's not the same 14 vs 2 than 114 vs 102

But if the increase is 70/30, then 14 vs 2 becomes 84 vs 32. True, as the numbers become immensely bigger the relative difference gap can close somewhat, but only if the change is more or less equal in number, rather than percentage.

rule303
9 hours ago, undercova said:

counter-question:

I'm under the impression that this is due to the fact that Americans like to be the, "good guys," and fought against Germany. Plus, if they play Allied they can play as the Americans later on in the game. However, the population disparity in TZ3 is far more disproportionate than in TZ2.

skers
9 minutes ago, rule303 said:

I'm under the impression that this is due to the fact that Americans like to be the, "good guys," and fought against Germany. Plus, if they play Allied they can play as the Americans later on in the game. However, the population disparity in TZ3 is far more disproportionate than in TZ2.

@rule303I think this is true.

I think that general interest in the game is also bolstered by the release of movies or documentaries that generate new players that are sub-consciously re-creating their favorite aspects from films etc. For example, in 2001-03 when the Band of Brothers series was fresh, there was a truckload of allied players hitting the game with player names that were some variation of one of the more highlighted members of Easy Company (e.g., Winters, Speirs, Lipton, Shifty Powers). Same thing happened with the release of Inglorious [censored] and Fury.

I think a lot of players are naturally drawn to the Axis side because a lot of the equipment is iconic and sexy as hell.

There is probably a decent PhD dissertation buried in this discussion.

Elfin
1 hour ago, skers said:

@rule303I think this is true.

I think that general interest in the game is also bolstered by the release of movies or documentaries that generate new players that are sub-consciously re-creating their favorite aspects from films etc. For example, in 2001-03 when the Band of Brothers series was fresh, there was a truckload of allied players hitting the game with player names that were some variation of one of the more highlighted members of Easy Company (e.g., Winters, Speirs, Lipton, Shifty Powers). Same thing happened with the release of Inglorious [censored] and Fury.

I think a lot of players are naturally drawn to the Axis side because a lot of the equipment is iconic and sexy as hell.

I think this is fairly accurate.

As to the PhD dissertation...I would do one on this but I have one already!

:)

harrrrr......

rule303
2 hours ago, skers said:

But then again, so is much of the British and American equipment, which also the French have some access to. The Lee Enfield rifle, the Bren Gun, the Tommy Gun, the Sten, the Sherman Tank, the Stuart Tank, the Spitfire, the Mustang, the 17 Pounder, the 57mm, the M1911, the BAR... I would imagine that many of these weapons are just as iconic and instantly recognized as say the German Mauser, MP40, Panzer, Tiger, Messerschmidt etc.

sideout

The only thing sexy on the allied side is a spit.........sorry

now.......me in my db7, well that's another dissertation!

S!

gavalink

I'm American dedicated to playing axis. I also have a varied work schedule. I usually play TZ1 or 3, prime time least.

When I started the game (02-03) I was drawn to the axis for the iconic weapons. As I tried both sides, I was attracted to what appeared to be superior organization of the axis players and the axis esprit du corps. Playing allied does seem to be "easy mode"; The small arms are point-shoot-kill for the allies as opposed to aim carefully-shoot-miss for the axis. Allied armor is near indestructible and heavily gunned as opposed to paper thin, under gunned axis armor. In short, axis is more of a challenge to play which makes victory much more satisfying.

For Allied HC, they need to recruit more dedicated allied players for TZ3 (i.e. fanatics, berserkers, Trump supporters).

S!

• Like 1

rule303

But the game just isn't gathering new players in TZ3, or new players in general. It seems there aren't any more TZ3 players to round up.

rotsechs
18 hours ago, stankyus said:

the allure and sexiness of German equipment IS why people are attracted to it.   Seriously, who the hell ever heard of the A13 or S35 prior to playing a ww2 game?

This.

rule303

But why specifically TZ3 in such a disproportionate amount, compared to TZ1 and TZ2 where the sides are almost evenly balanced? Why is it particularly TZ3 players like Aussies, New Zealanders etc that are so much more attracted to German equipment than American and European players attracted to it?

sydspain

You talk about axis sexy equipment as if axis are always overpop and always win campaigns...

On last 50 campaigns, axis had won 23 and allies 24 (3 campaign data missing)

Mosizlak
1 hour ago, sydspain said:

You talk about axis sexy equipment as if axis are always overpop and always win campaigns...

On last 50 campaigns, axis had won 23 and allies 24 (3 campaign data missing)

Population swings back and forth, like clockwork. Allies were rolling and axis were whining, Axis are rolling and Allies are whining. 

Always the same people doing the whining, always. 

What we need is more people playing this game, across the board and across all TZs. That's the real fix. 

• Like 2

pbveteran

I personally play axis because I know they lost the war and I would like to change the virtual history has the German Forces.

It was also the underdog for the entire war, less tanks, less forces fighting more countries with more resources on multiple fronts.. It also has the coolest tanks for me.

German side also appears harder to play, I remember using a Pan and Dac and I pwned an entire collumn of panzers, the same with the US Atg that one shoots(instant explosion) so easily PZ IVG and the same goes for sapper you have to remember dozens of tank spots compared to just a few as allies. 

Edited by pbveteran

spacecam

I think the issue is deeper, when either side is Over pop the game sucks for the under pop side, this really needs addressing because it ultimately causes players to log and loose interest, I think this issue is way way more important than removing the brigade system to try and stop the issue of having brigs cut off when no HC is on.

krazydog

Actually TZ3 does not always favor the Axis side.  From my experience TZ3 is controlled by the Axis more like 2/3 of the campaigns.  About a 1/3 of the time it favors the Allies.  

TZ3 usually swings to the side that is winning the campaign (but not always).  And yes unfortunately TZ3 is rarely balanced - it usually swings to one side or the other during the campaign.  

And when TZ3 gets unbalanced, its very hard to stop it, because there are so few players  online to take care of the all the tasks needed to turn things around.

Edited by krazydog

Kilemall
1 hour ago, krazydog said:

Actually TZ3 does not always favor the Axis side.  From my experience TZ3 is controlled by the Axis more like 2/3 of the campaigns.  About a 1/3 of the time it favors the Allies.  

TZ3 usually swings to the side that is winning the campaign (but not always).  And yes unfortunately TZ3 is rarely balanced - it usually swings to one side or the other during the campaign.  

And when TZ3 gets unbalanced, its very hard to stop it, because there are so few players  online to take care of the all the tasks needed to turn things around.

My observation is that if a superior numbered and/or led crew shows up in TZ3, the opposing force withers away to the hardcore and new subs/old accounts that wander into the meatgrinder.  Allies definitely won many campaigns on the work of the ANZACs, both squad and that TZ leaders.

Works both ways, just happens to work for Axis more nowadays.

My understanding is that historically more players play Axis as their primary side, something like 55:45 overall.  But at times it's been 2:1 Allied on TZ3.

Edited by Kilemall

rule303
1 hour ago, Kilemall said:

My observation is that if a superior numbered and/or led crew shows up in TZ3, the opposing force withers away to the hardcore and new subs/old accounts that wander into the meatgrinder.  Allies definitely won many campaigns on the work of the ANZACs, both squad and that TZ leaders.

Works both ways, just happens to work for Axis more nowadays.

My understanding is that historically more players play Axis as their primary side, something like 55:45 overall.  But at times it's been 2:1 Allied on TZ3.

I was wondering if this would be the case as well. It appears in TZ3 that the 250s, and also the 91st are very active - I have seen their members this campaign on almost every night in TZ3. There doesn't appear to be any active Allied TZ3 squads anymore - the ANZACs have 2-3 players at most nowadays due to dwindling population, and whilst there are some Chasseurs in TZ3, they are only again, 2-3 at most (let alone the Chasseurs aren't Allied dedicated.)